What's new

ntpMerlin Drift ppm slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Installing unbound from the command line is no different than ntpMerlin - you can do this! and the current v3.22 is probably the best one yet, in my experience on the same router as you.

if you're concerned about your ISP tracking/logging your DNS traffic, this is one way to minimize that - it only happens when unbound has to go to the Auth servers. Combined with SkyNet and diversion (blocking malicious stuff from coming in), it's a significant privacy enhancement because the amount of personal data leaking from your network slows to a virtual trickle.

Basically, your router becomes a caching DNS - if you point your devices to it, you bypass google/cloudflare/quad9 (big data).
It's fast...very fast: once you have built a "phonebook" of IP addresses to route to, a browser only has to look as far as your router for the IP. When a device goes looking for an IP address nobody on the network has visited yet In that case, it references the SAME authoritative DNS servers that big data does, without passing through their data mining mechanisms.
View attachment 30342
that's my chart right now (with 2-3 days of uptime, since upgrading to Merlin v386 ), and you'll see that the biggest spike on the chart is the 0-1 usec (under one millionth of a second - that's about 1/3rd of the drift of my ntpMerlin). the next highest one is 32-65 msec, but there are more results below that than above it (time-wise)...so DNS RTT times (on my network; yours will likely be similar or possibly better) are <65ms in most cases...and lower the more you use it.
Yes, thanks for the info. I am planning on trying it out as soon as I upgrade to 386.1 I am procrastinating since I am going to do a clean install, or factory default and reconfigure everything. I've got a new 220 GB usb drive to format too, so I though I might as well go for broke while I'm at it. Might have had to anyway.

It will probably be next weekend for me, too busy right now. Soon as the new dust settles I will strap on unbound and take it for a spin.

I apologize for my previous typing. I was typing on the back of an airmouse that evening.
thanks again,
jts

It will probably be next weekend for me, too busy right now. Soon as the new dust settles I will strap on unbound and take it for a spin.
Unless your network requirements are significantly different from mine, I doubt you will regret it.

I apologize for taking this thread off-topic. In my defence, you were mentioning network optimization earlier - this has been a key part of mine, along with ntpMerlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!