1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by GNUton, Apr 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

upload_2020-1-19_13-19-31.jpeg

2. Zendilar

Zendilar Occasional Visitor

I am running the latest DSL-AC68U_384.14_2-gnuton1_DSL_1.0.4.9 and I was ready to post that everything is completely normal but I notice this
    this image is from my office dsl-ac68u
    68u office.png

and this image is from my home dsl-ac68u
    68u home.png
    as you can see both devices are running the same FW but the bootloader is different, both devises are running diversion but there is no tab of diversion statistics on the second one.
    I performed a factory reset to my home device but nothing changed.
    does anyone else has the same issue.

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Did you install uiDivStats on the second one?

4. Zendilar

No, and you are right, that was the case about the tab of diversion statistics.
    I installed it and now I can see the tab, but I can't explain the bootloader.

L&LD likes this.
  5. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

There's nothing to explain. They just have different bootloaders because one was manufactured more recently than the other.

L&LD likes this.
  6. Zendilar

I was thinking about that to, but the one with 1.0.0.8 is manufactured more recently, the one with 2.0.0.3 is older so DOM has nothing to do with it.
    And I believe that the bootloader is part of the software not the hardware.

7. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

The CFE is stored in non-volatile memory but installing a firmware update doesn't normally change it. It's written at manufacturing time.

8. kernol

kernol Senior Member

If its any consolation - I have three DSL-AC68U's in the family and all have CFE 2.0.0.3 from date of purchase in 2018 and no changes brought about by any firmware installs since then - stock and every version of GNUton that has been produced so far.

9. bmn1

bmn1 Regular Contributor

Hi everyone, i have an asus dsl-ac68u with original firmware 3.0.0.4.384_56087 on board I tried to set up nord vpn it works but it does not take full advantage of the band (download 6mb), using nordvpn from gui it works perfectly (download 18mb) so i wanted to try to use the Stable firmware: 384.14 _2-gnuton1 can you show me how to do it, i have never flashed a router.
    PS: thank you in advance for your help, sorry for bad english.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: updated to stable firmware: 384.14 _2-gnuton1 all ok, is it possible to use expressvpn?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  10. barnold

barnold New Around Here

Not really applicable to this thread, but get the openVPN files from your chosen provider. Then on router, VPN Client tab, you've got 5 client settings that you can save. upload ovpn file to router, might need to also type in username and password. Save. You can do that for 5 different client profiles with 5 ovpn files for 5 different servers.

11. kernol

kernol Senior Member

@GNUton - now that RMerlin has released 384.15.0 firmware ... it would be really great if you could find the time to update gnuton-ware :D.

384.15 is incredibly stable and feature rich. :)

thelonelycoder likes this.
  12. potsiea

potsiea New Around Here

I have a DSL-AC68U running 384.14 _2-gnuton1 that i have trouble achieving acceptable VDSL2 speeds. It is nothing to do with the firmware, but i loaded it hoping it might address the issue. Using a free cheapie Netcomm modem/router borrowed from my ISP, i can get 22.5- 23 down and just over 1 up out of the box. We are in a rural location about 1.3km from the cabinet hence with the poor numbers, but these are as good as they get.

However, with the DSL-AC68U it is more in the range of 19-20 and 0.8 up and that is after i have maxed it out with tweaks to the DSL connection. Sometimes it will just go slow with single digit download speeds. Reboots and resets do not help. Out of the box, speeds are around 18 down with no tweaks

I have the opportunity to return it under warranty, but that would be a huge hassle time wise (took 2 weeks last time i had a problem) and i don't know if i can expect any better performance if replaced with another. I just don't get why a premium router performs badly with DSL performance, but has such good WiFi capabilities.

Is this a common problem with the 68U and should i expect better from a new unit, in which case i will cut my losses and either get a refund or buy a modem to connect to it and just use Ethernet WAN. I am happy to post my settings & DSL log up if that helps

13. kernol

kernol Senior Member

See this possibly related post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-dsl-ac68u-issue-dropping-connection.61708/#post-549385
    Start by examining your SNR and Line Attenuation - if it is poor/bad [see link to acceptable results in referred thread above] - then there isn't a modem/router on the planet that will fix your problem.

The three DSL-AC68U's that I have give the same line speed results in their different locations whether running Asus Stock firmware or GNUton adjusted Merlin firmware.

If your SNR and Line Attenuation results are Good to Excellent at the modem/router - then check with your ISP that you have all the DSL settings correct.

potsiea likes this.
  14. yusufd1

yusufd1 New Around Here

@GNUton like @kernol I am also eagerly awaiting the update to the latest merlin. I use this router solely as a fibre router and it is great. Thank you for all the great work that you are doing in this space. I believe that the latest merlin F/W sorts out some mdns issues which I believe could be causing a problem with my home automation devices.

Anyway you got another big fan down here in South Africa. Keep up the great work.

kernol likes this.
  15. potsiea

potsiea New Around Here

Thank you for your reply.

I have gone through the links provided and compared my results after a nuke reset and M&M install with the tables. If i interpreted it correctly, my Signal Attenuation is outstanding and Line Attenuation is excellent. I couldn't follow how to calculate a SNR Margin to achieve a particular download rate.

SNR margin is by default at 5.8 and i do get better speeds if i reduce this to say 4 and switch Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment to High Performance, but now i am a bit confused as i have been reducing the SNR Margin to improve speed, but it looks like i should be increasing it?

The settings are all correct per the ISP - they only say VLAN ID of 10

Thank you for your time

Annotation 2020-02-11 084421.png

16. GNUton

GNUton Regular Contributor

Hi there,
    I have good news for you. There is a 384.15 pre-release now available for testing.
    It can be downloaded from https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/384.15_0-gnuton0_alpha2
    It is already running on my router and I'm connected thanks to it. So it should be safe and it should work.

Please test it out and let me know if you face any problem.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    terran, ssechaud, kernol and 2 others like this.
  17. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

yusufd1, GNUton, L&LD and 1 other person like this.
  18. yusufd1

yusufd1 New Around Here

I have installed the latest firmware on my AC 68U, however for the moment I am using that router as a node within the Ai Mesh setup. Anyway the upload went well and all node related functions appear to be working fine. Thanks

GNUton likes this.
  19. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

@yusufd1, are you actually using a DSL-AC68U with @GNUton firmware on it as an AiMesh node?

20. yusufd1

yusufd1 New Around Here

Yes that's correct

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 09.52.07.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    kernol, GNUton and L&LD like this.