What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GNUton

Hi there,
This thread is about GNUton's Merlin builds for DSL devices.

* A few words about how this project started:
Some days back I bought a DSL-AC68U. I got a used one for 40 euros. As far as I know, this devices is pretty much as an RT-AC68U but it sells cheaper because... maybe... there is no custom firmware for it, so people think they are worse.
Then I decided to make an experiment, let's see how much the price of these devices will be once people will know that there are Asus Merlin builds for it! :D

* Few words about me and this project
1. This is my first ASUS router and I'm new to Merlin, so I will be humble and I will ask for GUIDANCE where I find undocumented stuff.
2. I do this just for FUN. Something is fun for me if I get constructive feedback and if I see my work in use. My time is VERY limited and I have tons of hobby project I work on... so be aware of that.
3. If people wanna have OTHER DSL DEVICES supported, far enough... I could think about that in the future. As for now, I have only a DSL-AC68U.
4. FEATURES: I may think to add new features too in my builds.
5. if anybody wanna join the effort to support more routers, you are my guest. we can work as TEAM.
6. I do not wanna you to think this is a Merlin FORK or something which is going to diverge from Asus Merlin.
7. I do care about SECURITY, so I would take any action which increases it.

More info about the project
Latest version: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases
Current supported devices: DSL-AC68U (mote to come? I dunno yet let's see
The release page of my github has
- releases - they offer the latest stable version of the firmware. This is pretty much asus merlin upstream firmware.
- pre-releases - this firmware contains code from unstable feature branch.

In case you are interested in building Asus Merlin on your machine in a docker container please have a look this other my small project: https://github.com/gnuton/Asuswrt-Merlin-Toolchains-Docker

Last edited:
Welcome!! ;):)

Hi there,
.... Something is fun for me if I get constructive feedback and if I see my work in use.

@GNUton - perhaps the best compliment / constructive feedback you can achieve has been granted with your thread being pinned at the start of this forum. Well deserved accolade - now all you need is a "sponsor" for more types of Asus DSL modems to work your Merlin assisted magic on ;).

I will watch this thread with interest :).

Slightly edited thread title for better visibility among the other sticky posts.

Hmmm, another device and firmware we script writers can't test on for lack of needing/having one.
Anyway, thanks @GNUton for your contribution :).

Hmmm, another device and firmware we script writers can't test on for lack of needing/having one.
You raised an important issue. The compatibility of scripts across sibling routers.
Well, by enabling the operational modes in the DSL AC68U I'm already tackling that issue... that feature is experimental but I would like to create a release when it gets better.
If you see other things that may cause incompatibility I would love to get a list of them and iron them out.

Cheers
Antonio

Last edited:
You raised an important issue. The compatibility of scripts across sibling routers.
Well, by enabling the operational modes in the DSL AC68U I'm already tackling that issue... that feature is experimental but I would like to create a release when it gets better.
If you see other things that may cause incompatibility I would love to get a list of them and iron them out.

Evenutally , my vision is if your scripts will work on the RT they will straight out of the box on the DSL too.

Cheers
Antonio
For Diversion, these are required, remove spaces in "p r o c":
Code:
grep -oE 'merlin|OpenWrt|padavan' /p r o c/version
or if that fails, then I have another test to determine if the router runs *Merlin*:
Code:
if [ "$(uname -o | grep -iw Merlin$)" ]; then
    echo "${OK} Asuswrt-Merlin"
elif [ "$(uname -o | grep -iw Merlin-LTS)" ]; then
    echo "${OK} Asuswrt-Merlin-LTS"
elif [ "$(nvram get buildinfo | grep -iw merlin)" ]; then
    echo "${OK} Asuswrt-Merlin"
fi

As for the router mode, Diversion requires it in "Wireless router mode". The NVRAM variable check are thus:
Code:
nvram get sw_mode
1 = Wireless router mode
2 = Repeater
3 = Access Point (AP)
4 = Media Bridge

I can test your build on my DSL-AC68U in Australia, if you want - I am here until Easter.

I'm currently running another Merlin build on that router, and it's working well. Although, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the 384.10 code base.

I am running amtm / diversion /pixelserv-tls beta / skynet /disk check on GNUton4 firmware on my DSL-AC68U.
All installed via amtm - zero glitches ... just a reboot or two and everything settled fine.

Will be trying stubby and Yazfi in a few days - but don't anticipate any problems.

@thelonelycoder - I have now configured ALL add-ons as per my signature on the DSL-AC68U @GNUton provided Merlin-Ware and am delighted to confirm that everything runs rock steady - thanks too for your AMTM which makes life on the router SO much easier for us "non-coders" :D.

I might add that the DSL-AC68U runs in a fairly complex small office network with several servers and clients. It is the access point sitting in front of [internet side] of a Sophos powered firewall which also provides primary VPN access to remote users.

Stubby passes with flying colours - no more DNS leaks and DNSSEC working as it should. One :) camper!
Only setup OpenVPN on the DSL-AC68U to have easy access to your IOS Shortcut for Diversion - another brilliant tool to be found here ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ios-shortcut-for-diversion.55974/

Thanks to all for making router-ware FUN :D.

@thelonelycoder - I have now configured ALL add-ons as per my signature on the DSL-AC68U @GNUton provided Merlin-Ware and am delighted to confirm that everything runs rock steady - thanks too for your AMTM which makes life on the router SO much easier for us "non-coders" :D.

I might add that the DSL-AC68U runs in a fairly complex small office network with several servers and clients. It is the access point sitting in front of [internet side] of a Sophos powered firewall which also provides primary VPN access to remote users.

Stubby passes with flying colours - no more DNS leaks and DNSSEC working as it should. One :) camper!
Only setup OpenVPN on the DSL-AC68U to have easy access to your IOS Shortcut for Diversion - another brilliant tool to be found here ...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ios-shortcut-for-diversion.55974/

Thanks to all for making router-ware FUN :D.
Thanks for testing.
I could probably test this myself, my RT-AC1900P runs on the same firmware but misses the DSL hardware. But no need to try since you provided feedback.

Ok. I will test VDSL support.

Been running VDSL here in South Africa on GNUton firmware for past 6 days - no issues ... in fact seems to connect better and more stable than stock firmware.

I just managed to read all updates in this thread and I would like to thanks the people testing my builds.
Once again, if you find any issue please let me know.
As for diversion, I'm installing it right now on my router (actually in repeater mode.. since I'm testing it right now, I guess it won't work because not in wireless mode.. but let's see :p)

upload_2019-4-10_23-42-17.png

As for diversion, I'm installing it right now on my router (actually in repeater mode.. since I'm testing it right now, I guess it won't work because not in wireless mode.. but let's see :p)
I see where this comes from. In Repeater mode the WebUI webserver (httpd) listens on 0.0.0.0:80.
For copy/paste reasons I suppress the helpful "Here's the netstat output:" so it's not shown.
Let me test the router modes to check, I'll then push an updated install routine.
Won't take long.

@GNUton I have pushed a modified install routine, this now covers all cases.
Thanks for reporting BTW!