What's new

DSL, IPTV, LAN, Router/bridge ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pmcd

Occasional Visitor
I have a wired LAN with its own DHCP server running on a Synology 1512+ NAS. The ip's on this LAN are all 192.168.2.xxx . My Internet is via an IPTV service. It is basically DSL but it has to run a DHCP server to provide ip's to the TV's via a cable connections. It has ip's 192.168.1.xxx and the DNS numbers are specific to the TV provider. I don't won't to have to use those DNS #'s which is what would happen if I changed my LAN to the 192.168.1.xxx ip's and disabled the DHCP server on my Synology. My idea was to put a "router" between the two networks. I have access to an Airport Extreme, Airport Express ( 2 ethernet jacks' model) but am open to any kind of solution. My Synology has 2 ethernet ports, but I don't know if they can be used to route traffic. I only use the one port. The other seems to be there to increase network speeds by combining things with the 1st port.

I really don't need anything complicated, just some way of isolating the DSL's DHCP server from my network. I have tried with the Airport Express but I don't seem to be able to set the LAN ip to 192.168.2.1. Can this be done? Perhaps the Airport Extreme would be better, but it seems like overkill and I would rather not have it living in the basement.

Thanks,

philip

If it's just a DNS server issue, you can config the PCs to use a static DNS server/backup server in the network adapter's IPv4 settings. I usually set my PCs to use DNS servers 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8. The first one has very low latency for my location and unlike TimeWarner (my ISP) these DNSes are always up.

You can still use DHCP for the PC's own IP address.

(sound like you may suffer U-verse).

Last edited:
Thanks, but it isn't just a DNS issue that I can resolve by putting static DNS's in my Mac's and other devices. I usually do this in part for reasons you mention. I would like to control what is happening on the LAN. A router should work. Perhaps the Apple Express is not meant for that and I should just get a router that does not have a wireless function to it. Odd, as this is pretty similar to the problem of two LAN's sharing an common DSL modem and the tutorial on this site places the router in between the modem and the LAN's. It may just be a function of getting the right router or bridge.

It is quite handy to have our iDevices and similar things using DHCP. Having them use the iptv DNS numbers is one thing I would like to get around. It becomes quite inconvenient, and sometimes impossible, to have to statically set DNS numbers for these types of units.

philip

A diagram of your network would help.
Easiest way to isolate networks without using separate subnets and routers is to use VLANs. An inexpensive smart switch would do it.

This article might help for configuring routers to separate lans:

A diagram of your network would help.
Easiest way to isolate networks without using separate subnets and routers is to use VLANs. An inexpensive smart switch would do it.

This article might help for configuring routers to separate lans:

Thanks. I had read through that article. Really nice description. That is exactly my situation in fact. The only thing in that article that has me baffled is the "Internet router w switch". The switch side is set to 192.168.1.1 and the WAN side gets its ip from the DSL modem. I guess I am having an issue with what I could use as such an "Internet router w switch". You have to be able to set the switch sides ip. That is what the Airport Express doesn't seem to be able to do, or at least it is not obvious. I could use the AirPort Extreme if that gave me that option or even a Linksys router in which I disabled the wifi. Are there wired routers that do what you have in that diagram? It would be nice if they had a gigabit switch but most seem to have 100mbs ports which is ok. By the looks of it the wireless routers could have been used in place of the Internet router w switch"?

Philip