What's new

Dual WAN router for two ISPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I currently have Fidium (they bought out Verizon Fios locally) & Xfinity setup on dual WAN with a Asus router. Using dual wan for failover mode I’ve read is more reliable. I currently have it set for load balancing with is buggy at times but it’s helped me keep my internet use under the data caps. Xfinity and other providers will throttle back your connection if you go over their monthly limits.

Basically if you can get it to work it’ll be a good option. Expect headaches learning the quirks.

I would not recommend load balancing dual WAN with ASUS. The firmware lacks configuration options that are 100% necessary for properly handling load balancing between multiple WANs. For example, you'll find that certain applications, notably streaming media, really need to be bound to one WAN interface to work properly. When you're web surfing on a PC or laptop, fine-tuning for a load balanced dual-WAN environment is typically not necessary, which is really the only use case ASUS accounted for in their firmware.

I would not recommend load balancing dual WAN with ASUS. The firmware lacks configuration options that are 100% necessary for properly handling load balancing between multiple WANs. For example, you'll find that certain applications, notably streaming media, really need to be bound to one WAN interface to work properly. When you're web surfing on a PC or laptop, fine-tuning for a load balanced dual-WAN environment is typically not necessary, which is really the only use case ASUS accounted for in their firmware.
Also, some of the banking APPs had issues when you flip flopped IPs. You have to be able to program a path with dual WANs when you are doing things like banking.

Also, some of the banking APPs had issues when you flip flopped IPs. You have to be able to program a path with dual WANs when you are doing things like banking.
Right...pfSense and OPNsense have a feature called "sticky connections" that allow web sessions to persist out the same WAN interface for a user-defined time period to get around that issue affecting some banking sites and apps.