What's new

Dual Wan router needed

  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

    SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

    Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

    The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!


New Around Here
Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking for something specific and hope somebody can help me.

I need a dual wan router that will direct all traffic to the first port except for a few specific web sites. When a user tries to go to these specific sites all traffic to and from these has to go through the second connection.

Most routers I see use the second wan port as a load balancer or failover when port 1 isn't active.

I hope someone can help me.

You can do this fairly easily on a Cisco (or other professional-level) router. Depending on what types of connections you are using for your wan, as well as the overall traffic, something like an 1841 would probably be a good option.

Easily being relative though. Cisco routers aren't easy in general to configure if you're not familiar with how they think. But they do let you build route-maps, which can do exactly what you want.

I believe you can accomplish this using a Zyxel USG100 or higher. Check out the feature called Policy Routes on Page 116 of the USG100 user manual. It sure looks like it will do what you want, but I'm not 100% sure. Call their presales support and ask.

Plus if it works, its reasonably priced, firmware upgrades are free, and you don't need a Doctorate degree to set it up.
Last edited by a moderator:

Similar threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!