What's new

EA-N66 Client Limitation Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

murphy2u

New Around Here
I am trying to use an EA-N66 to serve as a bridge from a WAN connected RT-N66U to a physically separated router (upstairs) that is needed to support a USB printer and two workstations.

I believe that I have come up against a limitation in the product--it is designed to connect to a single client--as long as that client isn't a router. I have verified operability--it bridges from the RT-N66U to a single laptop just fine. RT-N66 is working well FWIW.

I am looking for either confirmation that I've purchased a product that can't do what I want or any suggestion on how to get it to work as a bridge to a router. Thanks to any that can help me get smarter in this regard....

PS--thanks to all who have posted information abour ther RT-N66U and EA-N66 in this forum--it has been useful in my getting to this point and having a good RT-N66U setup. AParticular thanks also to Merlin for his firmware that is powering my RT-N66U....

I just tested this and it works fine connecting multiple clients. I had the EA-N66 form a bridge to my main router and connected one of my switches with multiple clients attached and all work fine.

Note that the EA-N66 Network map will show only one device.

More Networking Homework for Me

Tim--thank you for confirming which mistake I have made (settings, not product selection). I will go back to mining your site to figure out what I don't have set up right on the router (DI-724GU) on the EA-N66 side I'm definately at the bleeding edge of my networking knowledge).

I will have to get my arms around using the EA-N66's default 10.0.1.1 addressing, corresponding subnet, and how DHCP should work in this setup. Anyone with time to help get me on the right track with either a link or recommended settings, please feel free to give me your pointers....

10.0.1.1 is where the EA-N66 admin interface lives. But in Ethernet adapter mode, the EA-N66 will pass DHCP requests from devices connected to it right through to your router. So devices should be in the same IP range as the rest of your LAN devices.

Up and working

Tim--thanks for the follow up clarification. That was a concise summary of what I found in reading several more threads on your site thankfully. The key in my case was patching the EA-N66 to a LAN port on my router (instead of the WAN port). This discovery was thanks to Overdrive31's post in: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6102.

As soon as I did that, most of the rest of what I initally had tried on the secondary router worked just fine (DHCP disabled, IP addressing of secondary router and clients within the primary router's (RT-N66U) range, all on the same subnet.

My only remaing tasks are to rebuild the drive mappings to the NASs for the clients, see if I can get the printer mapping to work (USB printer unfortunately); and then see about some wireless setting optimization....

Thanks again for your work in providing great reviews and hosting a site that has enough knowledge accessable to get a noob like me to have the right network working well. :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!