What's new

EnGenius Announces New EnSky Wi-Fi 6 Outdoor Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
engenius-ews850ap.jpg
Encased in an IP67-rated dust and water-resistant enclosure, the EnSky series EWS850AP is a business-class Wi-Fi 6 access point designed for heavily congested outdoor environments.

Running on a Qualcomm Networking Pro 400 quad-core processor, the dual-band EWS850AP uses four spatial streams and delivers maximum wireless rates of 574 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz and 1200 Mbps @ 5 GHz.

Listed Wi-Fi 6 related features for the EWS850AP include OFDMA, 1024 QAM, BSS Coloring, Spatial Reuse, DL MU-MIMO, Target Wake Time and longer OFDM symbols. Security-wise, the EWS850AP uses Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA3/WPA2 Enterprise/PSK) Encryption, IEEE 802.1X with RADIUS and MAC Address Filtering.

The EWS850AP can operate using PoE via its single GbE port or can use proprietary 48V-54V power. The outdoor AP can also be set up as an access point in Managed Mode, or as WDSs, Mesh, Client Bridge, or Access Point in Stand-Alone Mode.

Lastly, the EWS850AP is managed using an EnGenius EnSky Managed Switch (up to 50 APs) as a wireless controller or by provisioning an EnGenius EnSky SkyKey wireless controller (up to 100 APs).

Pricing for the EnGenius EnSky EWS850AP Wi-Fi 6 Outdoor Access Point was not available, however EnGenius will start shipping it worldwide in Q1 2020.

Engenius still doesn´t have OFDMA software features enabled, though.
Really? They had OFDMA enabled on the 2x2 indoor EWS357AP I looked at months ago. It didn't work very well, but it was enabled.

I was never able to find updated firmware for it, so I set it aside.
I just checked the product page and it now looks like a firmware link is posted. I might give it another try.

Really? They had OFDMA enabled on the 2x2 indoor EWS357AP
As of 01/2020 Engenius EWS377AP/EWS357AP do not support OFDMA with their current firmware. You can easily check this yourself by using wireshark and capture some Traffic.

As of 01/2020 Engenius EWS377AP/EWS357AP do not support OFDMA with their current firmware. You can easily check this yourself by using wireshark and capture some Traffic.
Thanks for the info. Guess they decided to join the rest of the Wi-Fi industry's big lie about OFDMA support.

Thanks for checking. I won't be doing any further testing on the product for now.
Tim I also got a confirmation from a official EnGenius source "OFDMA is enabled on the EWS357AP and EWS377AP"

Right from Engenius
  • Upload and Download OFDMA
    "U/L not available yet (expected later this year)"
  • Upload and Download MU-MIMO
  • BSS coloring
Thanks. That means they will be switching to the newer Networking Pro 1200 chipset (Hawkeye 2.0)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!