Error on all Apple Devices: “The name of your computer is already in use on this network”

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Cloaky

Occasional Visitor
A few weeks ago I started getting this weird msg on my Mac saying that my computer name was already in use. What I didn't realize at that time is that this was impacting all my Apple devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad and HomePod).

After digging into the internet, I couldn't find much. While I am not sure this is related to my router, I was hoping someone would have an idea.

While my initial hypothesis was: this is happening because my Mac is connected to the internet via Wifi + Ethernet. That is not true when you look at my other Apple devices (in which I get the same behaviour).

I am using a RT-AC68W (Asus Merlin 384.1 7- DHCP server). I also have a RaspberryPi running pi-hole as the DNS server.

ugandy

i noticed something that may or may not be related. but it affects only my apple clients too.
on the network map list, names for apple devices keep changing over time.
example
iPadKids -> iPadKids-2 ->iPadKids-3 ->iPadKids-4 -> ...
livingRoomTv -> livingRoomTv-2 -> livingRoomTv-3 -> livingRoomTv-4 -> ...

everything works. no errors reported. but strange how the name changes on its own. maybe on reboots.

Last edited:

absturzprofi99

New Around Here
A few weeks ago I started getting this weird msg on my Mac saying that my computer name was already in use. What I didn't realize at that time is that this was impacting all my Apple devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad and HomePod).

After digging into the internet, I couldn't find much. While I am not sure this is related to my router, I was hoping someone would have an idea.

While my initial hypothesis was: this is happening because my Mac is connected to the internet via Wifi + Ethernet. That is not true when you look at my other Apple devices (in which I get the same behaviour).

I am using a RT-AC68W (Asus Merlin 384.1 7- DHCP server). I also have a RaspberryPi running pi-hole as the DNS server.

I have the exact same issue with the exact same setup (Asus Merlin and Raspberry Pi pi-hole)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!