What's new

Error on all Apple Devices: “The name of your computer is already in use on this network”

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cloaky

Occasional Visitor
A few weeks ago I started getting this weird msg on my Mac saying that my computer name was already in use. What I didn't realize at that time is that this was impacting all my Apple devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad and HomePod).

After digging into the internet, I couldn't find much. While I am not sure this is related to my router, I was hoping someone would have an idea.

While my initial hypothesis was: this is happening because my Mac is connected to the internet via Wifi + Ethernet. That is not true when you look at my other Apple devices (in which I get the same behaviour).

I am using a RT-AC68W (Asus Merlin 384.1 7- DHCP server). I also have a RaspberryPi running pi-hole as the DNS server.

i noticed something that may or may not be related. but it affects only my apple clients too.
on the network map list, names for apple devices keep changing over time.
example
iPadKids -> iPadKids-2 ->iPadKids-3 ->iPadKids-4 -> ...
livingRoomTv -> livingRoomTv-2 -> livingRoomTv-3 -> livingRoomTv-4 -> ...

everything works. no errors reported. but strange how the name changes on its own. maybe on reboots.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I started getting this weird msg on my Mac saying that my computer name was already in use. What I didn't realize at that time is that this was impacting all my Apple devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad and HomePod).

After digging into the internet, I couldn't find much. While I am not sure this is related to my router, I was hoping someone would have an idea.

While my initial hypothesis was: this is happening because my Mac is connected to the internet via Wifi + Ethernet. That is not true when you look at my other Apple devices (in which I get the same behaviour).

I am using a RT-AC68W (Asus Merlin 384.1 7- DHCP server). I also have a RaspberryPi running pi-hole as the DNS server.

I have the exact same issue with the exact same setup (Asus Merlin and Raspberry Pi pi-hole)

Reading through, this might be a bug in Avahi. Possible workaround though. Please try adding
Code:
sed -i '/^\[Server\]/a cache-entries-max=0' "$1" # YazFi
to the bottom of /jffs/scripts/avahi-daemon.postconf
and then run
Code:
service restart_mdns
There's a few posts suggesting this will stop the hostname increment. I do not know what side effect disabling cache on avahi will do, though. It could cause some problems: https://stackoverflow.com/a/34592380
Long discussion here: https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/117
YMMV

@Jack Yaz I have same issue without using YazFi.
Creating the avahi-daemon.postconf with the command described in your post could fix the issue also for me?

This sounds like the “private address” option in ios14 but not sure why your Mac would have the same issue? Long shot, but maybe try having a look at your iOS devices and see if that solves the issue there first?

I thought the same, turn off the private address thing on the apple devices it creates a fake mac id. Had a nightmare with my sons phone and this until we turned it off.

Data point: I only get this issue with YazFi if Client isolation is set to no.

90% of my wifi clients are some type of apple device. Haven't had any issues after changing Client isolation to yes.