What's new

Expert Opinion Needed Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

majnu

Regular Contributor
Hi Resident Experts,

I need your technical advise from a choice of 2 switches I have narrowed down which one I should buy please?

1) Netgear ProSafe GS724T-300EUS £130

2) HP Procurve 1810G 24 Port £165

Both offer lifetime Warranty and are Green Compliant.

Any advise or major differences would be greatly appreciated. :)

Both are "smart / managed switches. You need to look at the feature sets to see if the management features you need are covered.

I haven't tested / reviewed either, so can't comment further.

Both are "smart / managed switches. You need to look at the feature sets to see if the management features you need are covered.

I haven't tested / reviewed either, so can't comment further.

I've created a thread in suggestions ;)

I am hoping you can do a round up reveiw of 24 port smart switches, similar to the reveiw you did for the 8 port unmanaged switches.

I've created a thread in suggestions ;)

I am hoping you can do a round up reveiw of 24 port smart switches, similar to the reveiw you did for the 8 port unmanaged switches.
Thanks for the suggestion. But not likely anytime soon.

Switches brand varies each company offers more features for packet buffer memory size.

So I would look for:

Green Ports
Largest Packet Buffer Size
Mac Address Table of 8K Size
Switching Cap 32GB
Port Mirroring
IGMP Snooping
Jumbo Frame 9K

Most of the cheaper brands are only 1 year. Unless you go for Cisco Catalyst 3750G or the newer 4xxx series. My favorite is the 3750G 24 or 48 port. We just did a 20,000 switch refresh for one of our major clients here.

Trendnet is what I use here for the home, Cisco in the Office and client. I thought about buying one of those models for Cisco for the home?

The Procurve 1810-24G is a full recommend from my perspective. We've had zero issues with a fully loaded switch, also running two LACP trunks. In a constrained environment, it's also completely silent.

The only thing I miss with this hardware is that it does not support PoE. This may not be an issue, but if you plan on connecting wireless access points, POE is very handy to have as you can put the access point up in the ceiling for example, and not worry about external power beyond the CAT5 cable. PoE is something to think about these days if you're building a network.

Cheers

I went for the HP in the end. PoE would have been a nice feature, however that comes at a price which I cannot afford. I was lucky to get the HP for that price to be honest. ;)

Good choice. I try to use the HP ProCurves at clients whenever I can. What I like about them...they're truly a "set it and forget it" switch..once put in place it runs rock solid for years and years. Some other switches you'll find now and then need a reboot for some weird reason. Also I don't have "auto negotiate" problems with them. Versus some less expensive switches..when gigabit, I've now and then ran into issues with some server NICs properly auto negotiating at full gigabit..even on Tier1 servers like Dells and HPs with quality Intel NICs.

Hi

My switch has finally arrived. As this is my first switch please bear with me if the questions seem silly.

1) I have a Netgear DG834N modem/router what cables do I connect from the modem/router to which port on the switch to get internet connection?

2) Do I have to put my modem/router into modem only mode?

Using an ethernet cable, uplink one of the LAN ports of your Netgear router...into one of the ports on your new switch. Done! :)

Now plug the rest of your network hardware into ports on your new switch.

Sit back and enjoy!

Using an ethernet cable, uplink one of the LAN ports of your Netgear router...into one of the ports on your new switch. Done! :)

Now plug the rest of your network hardware into ports on your new switch.

Sit back and enjoy!

You make it sound so easy :D

I've connected everything as you have outlined. However I cannot get internet to the devices connected to the switch. :(

My Netgear Modem IP address is 192.168.2.1
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
It has Use Router as DHCP Server Starting IP Address: 192.168.2.2
It has Use Router as DHCP Server Ending IP Address: 192.168.2.254

To log into the HP switch I use: 192.168.2.10
My Local Area Connection (Ethernet) TCIP/IP Properties are: 192.168.2.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Everytime I click on Use DHCP Server in the HP Switch Web Interface and click Apply it reverts back to using a static address of 192.168.2.10.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Also is there a way to update the firmware as I assume mine will be out dated. I can't really see anything on the HP site :confused: i have software version P.1.14

Last edited:
Problem now solved. It did not state in the manual once you accessed the switch using TCP/IP on your LAN connection to change it back to Auto Configure IP. Once I ticked that box everything was hunkey dorey.

Also I changed the DHCP Pool range on the router to
to

:D

Firmware is now updated to 1.17 and rumour is that 1.18 will be released within a month.