What's new

Green Technology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

majnu

Regular Contributor
Hi

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I am building a home local area network. I have just purchased a HP StorageWorks X510 1TB Data Vault for my storage needs.

I am now looking at gigabit switches. ALthough 16 ports will be sufficient for my needs 24 ports will offer future proofing.

I like the idea of Green Technology and have narrowed down 2 choices.

a) D-Link DGS-1224T 24 port gigabit
b) NetGear GS724T 24-Port Gigabit

But am I right to persume that the Netgear GS724T does NOT have the Green Technology?
Is the Netgear Green the GS724T-300?

It seems odd that the 2 ProSafe models are new and one offers Green and the other does not.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Kais (UK)

I've never heard of TP-LINK but that does not mean that it is good. I prefer to stay with the "big boys" and more well revered products. Netgears warranty makes it a very tempting prospect just to go with them, but I am unsure which ones are Green. would love a Cisco but I'm on a very limited budget.

In terms of performance and benhmarking do I look for measures such as "bandwidth" (which is often simply a summation of the ingress/egress rate of all the ports,) "latency" or switching rate expressed in terms of "average packets per second" (The latter is a little imprecise because ethernet frames are variably length.)

Also for all you home users how quiet are the 24 port switches?

Shoudl I be aware that bigger switches generate more heat and thus are often fan cooled. Accousic noise in a SOHO could be a issue. "Desktop" switches are often so designated because they are fanless designs.

Thanks again. I am hoping to purchase a switch as soon as possible so I can start installing things over the weekend. I've only been umming and arring about this for around 6 months, but finally took the plunge. :D

I've never heard of TP-LINK but that does not mean that it is good. I prefer to stay with the "big boys" and more well revered products. Netgears warranty makes it a very tempting prospect just to go with them, but I am unsure which ones are Green. would love a Cisco but I'm on a very limited budget.

In terms of performance and benhmarking do I look for measures such as "bandwidth" (which is often simply a summation of the ingress/egress rate of all the ports,) "latency" or switching rate expressed in terms of "average packets per second" (The latter is a little imprecise because ethernet frames are variably length.)

Also for all you home users how quiet are the 24 port switches?

Shoudl I be aware that bigger switches generate more heat and thus are often fan cooled. Accousic noise in a SOHO could be a issue. "Desktop" switches are often so designated because they are fanless designs.

Thanks again. I am hoping to purchase a switch as soon as possible so I can start installing things over the weekend. I've only been umming and arring about this for around 6 months, but finally took the plunge. :D

TP-LINK more popular in China they only make business switches but have venture into the HO/SOHO market place. Unlike some brands here TP-LINK gives you larger packet buffer memory, and mac address table is higher not limited. The only thing that hurts them is the 1 year warranty on all their products.

Yes heat is the killer in electronic gear. Network gear switches in gig configuration get hotter than the fast (100) does. If you go for rack mounted switch with built-in power supply they usually have a out-take fan to keep the unit cool.

Lot of these cheaper models uses aluminum fins on the controller chip to keep the chip cool. Thus more of quiet operations.

You should build yourself a network closet or turn a closet you don't use into one. Racks are expensive though, but you can make your own or buy hardware racks you find those at hardware store.

TP-LINK more popular in China they only make business switches but have venture into the HO/SOHO market place. Unlike some brands here TP-LINK gives you larger packet buffer memory, and mac address table is higher not limited. The only thing that hurts them is the 1 year warranty on all their products.

Yes heat is the killer in electronic gear. Network gear switches in gig configuration get hotter than the fast (100) does. If you go for rack mounted switch with built-in power supply they usually have a out-take fan to keep the unit cool.

Lot of these cheaper models uses aluminum fins on the controller chip to keep the chip cool. Thus more of quiet operations.

You should build yourself a network closet or turn a closet you don't use into one. Racks are expensive though, but you can make your own or buy hardware racks you find those at hardware store.

Hi again Tipster,

Everything is going to be placed under the staircase where the laundry room is. Since it is in a central location and is very cool overheating wont be a problem. Over time (funds permitting) I will buy a 2U or 4U server case/data cabinet of ebay.

But which is the Green Switch please out of the 2 Netgears? I don't know why they complicate things by releasing all these versions and not showing what the differences are compared to the previous version. :mad:

The NETGEAR has green technology, as stated on its product page and also has a fan.

Most switch fans are pretty noisy. I would go for two smaller switches if you don't want to listen to the constant annoying drone.

Note that D-Link just changed to lifetime warranty on all switches.

Hi again Tipster,

Everything is going to be placed under the staircase where the laundry room is. Since it is in a central location and is very cool overheating wont be a problem. Over time (funds permitting) I will buy a 2U or 4U server case/data cabinet of ebay.

But which is the Green Switch please out of the 2 Netgears? I don't know why they complicate things by releasing all these versions and not showing what the differences are compared to the previous version. :mad:

I forgot to mention about Trendnet they offer 5 years on their switches. One offers more features than the other. That's how things are in this business. Make sure you have dehumidifier in that laundry room. The dryer vent is venting outside correct.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!