What's new

Extremely Disappointing: Apple Airport Extreme Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Airport Extreme

I just bought (May 5 2010) the new Airport Extreme and I am very satisfied,
My internet 50 mbps internet plan is at it's best with Airport Extreme.
Not only good but better than plugged directly into the cable modem.
Plugged in the cable modem I get 44 mbps. With Airport Extreme it's 53 mbps.
My Time Capsule from september 2008 could reach only 30 mbps on 5 GhZ and less on the 2.4 GhZ.

PLUS the dual band is extremely performant: I get 9 mbps with my iPhone, 30 mbps with my HP PC with Windows 7 and 53 mbps on my MacBook.

I do not undertand how you have troubles with your Airport Extreme. It his the best router I ever had.
And I don't work for Apple either.

Good luck anyway.

a friend of mine has one and is happy with it too (ok performance) yet it can't touch the netgear wndr3700. I've got me one last week and I have 144Mbit/s upload from Macbook Pro to Samba-Share in Network and 100Mbit/s in the other direction. I'm VERY happy with the wireless performance since I use it for two Macbook Pros to backup to a NAS via time machine and transfer large Media-files. 18MB/s and 13MB/s are just sweet!

Marwell 88W8366

You have asked the info about two 88W8366 devices in your review.

www.marvell.com/products/wireless/8366.pdf

It's surprising that Marwell 88W8366 was designed for use with 802.11Draft-n devices,
but MC340 Airport Extreme is using them. Maybe they're compatible with 802.11 Final-n, maybe not. Who knows :)

The article states that the 4th generation does not support Jumbo frames. I think this is not correct. The internal switch supports 10k Jumbo frames according to the chip manufacture (marwell). Apple itself does not say anything about Jumbo frame support.

A few months ago I started using 9k Jumbo on my network. And because I could not find info about this from Apple itself, I did a few ping tests, and could send large packets through its lan ports. And I have had no issues with it over the past months.

The article states that the 4th generation does not support Jumbo frames. I think this is not correct. The internal switch supports 10k Jumbo frames according to the chip manufacture (marwell). Apple itself does not say anything about Jumbo frame support.

A few months ago I started using 9k Jumbo on my network. And because I could not find info about this from Apple itself, I did a few ping tests, and could send large packets through its lan ports. And I have had no issues with it over the past months.

You do realise it's extremely poor netiquette to necro in a thread that's almost 3yrs old, right?

Not if the thread in question is linked directly from the article that describes the product. This thread is the main forum entry when reading the review of the 4th Generation Airport Extreme.

Not if the thread in question is linked directly from the article that describes the product. This thread is the main forum entry when reading the review of the 4th Generation Airport Extreme.

Feeble excuse, the article in question is clearly dated 09/11/09, it was completed 19-days after this thread began...
There was a follow-up article released 2 days later (11/11/09) that was linked to from this thread, both are well over 3yrs old.
They're the only Airport articles on this site that reference this thread....
There have since been 2 newer Airport reviews, one references it's own thread, & the other references the "Wireless Article Discussions" sub-forum.

But, since you bring info. that doesn't seem to be covered in both reviews nor this thread, it's not a entirely bad necro.
Of course, your findings don't necessarily represent what the findings for all AE4 users may have been 3yrs+ ago...

Last edited:
Point made Jalyst. For the record, I am OK with comments posted to the thread linked to the article. That is what it is there for.

Snce SNB reviews have very long lives, it is good for people to continue to post comments and corrections to the review. So, thank you, Briolet!

Agreed, I was somewhat quick to judge, a necro with little or no value (which is often the case nowadays) is extremely annoying.
But this necro did highlight some info. that may be relevant for all AE4 users, even if it wasn't necessarily 3yrs+ ago...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!