What's new

Replacing Apple Airport Extreme Router. I Need Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kage

Occasional Visitor
I have an Apple Airport Extreme A1521 Router for several years and its time for me to replace it. I really don't need a WiFi 6 (AX) router since all of my devices are on WiFi 5. The router is going to be in my bedroom.

I recently tried out the Netgear R7000p and it had issues with disconnecting wireless devices, a security flaw, I had to reboot several times a day and it took about 15 minutes to complete the reboot process each time, and it had very bright led lights that couldn't let me sleep. I really need to have at least an AC2200 router. I have Spectrum internet at 100/10. I've been researching routers and my requirements are:
1. I don't do online gaming
2. Watching HD and 4k video streaming from my Apple TV 4k without any lag
3. Music streaming from Spotify
4. Good wireless range
5. Excellent security features
6. Very Reliable
7. I won't be using a 3rd party firmware
8. Not bulky looking

The budget for the new router will be from $160 to $200. I've been looking at these routers:
1. Asus RT-AX58U
2. Google Nest WiFi Router

If any of you have any recommendations on routers, please let me know.

1. RT-AX58U with RMerlin firmware. :)

Btw, 2. should be the last thing ever chosen after time ends. :)

You could go with either, the Nest seems to be pretty well liked from what I’ve seen, if you like the Apple like simplicity and don’t care for too many settings or features on the firmware. Also seems like something you can put anywhere without looking too out of place.

I had an Apple Airport and the Asus was so much better that when the AC66 got too old, i bought another one.

Google has enough info on me i don't want them to have more. So i agree with L&LD.

They don't track web usage and I haven't seen anything concerning (subjective) in their Privacy statement vs Asus's privacy statement/collection info, but to each their own thing I guess.

For that Spectrum 100/10 connection, I would want something with modern QoS that actually works (most QoS on most routers doesn't). For an Apple-like experience that does so out of the box, as @Milky Way suggested, I would look at Eero Pro. $199 new, or $169 refurb. You can enable Eero's QoS by going to the Eero Labs section of the phone app and toggling "SQM" on. Give Eero a day to auto-adjust to your Spectrum speed, and you're good to go. If you need more wired ports than the one free remaining wired port (after you've plugged in your cable modem), just wire in a $19 8-port unmanaged switch to that port, and plug your wired devices into the switch.

As the OP, I recently tried out the Google Nest WiFi Router last week; while the specs look great on paper, in real world use its terrible. It had issues when I had it and they are:
1. It lowered my Spectrum Internet download speed from 117 Mbps to about 50 Mbps, however upload speed stayed the same at 10 Mbps t0 11Mbps.
2. The automatic band steering with the same SSID. Prefer to have separate bands with different SSIDs.
3. Not much user control settings.
4. It actually degraded the picture quality and compressed the audio quality more when streaming movies from my Apple TV 4K.
5. I had to use two apps on my iPhone 7 Plus in order change the basic settings on router.
6. Not real QOS feature. The nearest thing was only prioritizing one device with a time limit of up to 4 hours.
7. Not really good for live Zoom meetings and live Facebook video chats/live group video feeds.

My Apple Airport Extreme A1521 Router is slightly better than Google Nest WiFi Router, even through it (Apple Extreme Router) it isn't quite powerful as the Google Nest Router. However it's getting old, its has some issues on keeping the live video streaming watchable, and its time to replace it.

For over a week, I was researching on the EERO Pro Mesh Router, Netgear R7800, and the Asus RT-AX58U to replace my Apple Airport Extreme Router in my bedroom. According to my research, I had to crossoff the EERO Pro Mesh Router and the Netgear R7800. Here are the reasons:
ERRO Pro Router
1. Overpriced
2. Weak specs
3. Optional security and parental subscription plans
4. Works best in a mesh setup
5. Very limited user control

Netgear R7800
1. Bright led lights
2. Bulky
3. Old
4. Too many issues like most other Netgear routers

I decided to order the Asus RT-AX58U this morning. I really hope that this router is good as people say it is, a worthy upgrade over my Apple Airport Extreme Router, and that its stable with stock firmware updates.

I decided to order the Asus RT-AX58U this morning. I really hope that this router is good as people say it is, a worthy upgrade over my Apple Airport Extreme Router, and that its stable with stock firmware updates.
Fair enough. Considering stability is one of your primary goals, I would at least go out of your way to load Merlin (AsusWRT factory firmware with bug fixes and enhancements), then update manually as more Merlin updates are released. Remember, you've chosen a newer pre-draft AX model, so don't be surprised if certain things are a bit flaky while Asus and Merlin work to stabilize the platform.

Last edited: