What's new

factory reset still shows device list and dhcp table

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks.

I don't know whether this will work on your model of router but it might be worth trying:

WARNING for other people that may read this thread - This code is dangerous. See posts #23 and #29.
Code:
nvram set force_erase_jffs2=1
nvram commit
reboot
It will then reboot itself, probably twice. If it goes into a reboot loop you'll have to press the reset button, but give it some time to sort itself out first.

UPDATE: I suggest people try this code instead (it might be less destructive).
Code:
nvram set jffs2_clean_fs=1
nvram commit
reboot

Last edited:
Thanks.

I don't know whether this will work on your model of router but it might be worth trying:
Code:
nvram commit
reboot
It will then reboot itself, probably twice. If it goes into a reboot loop you'll have to press the reset button, but give it some time to sort itself out first.
ok i will give it a try

Thanks.

Code:
nvram commit
reboot
Yea it was in reboot loop. I have factory reset it but just sitting there with power light flashing

Yes. You've got nothing to lose. Power off, press and hold the WPS button, power on, wait 5 seconds before releasing the WPS button.
success! Was worried there for a minute that I bricked the router. But the WPS reset and power off and on it came back AND the dhcp table is now empty!
df -h
upload_2020-5-10_9-53-48.png

Well that's great news. Albeit with some heart stopping moments :D.
yes I want to send out a great thank you for the help for getting this fixed for me. Lessons learned on my side and will be more cautious in the future. Have a great awesome day!

yes I want to send out a great thank you for the help for getting this fixed for me. Lessons learned on my side and will be more cautious in the future. Have a great awesome day!
You're welcome.

I'm not sure what lessons you are referring to. As far as I can see prior to this problem you did nothing wrong, you were just using the router normally. It looks to me to be a bug that's present in the HND routers as people have experienced the same trouble trying to clear down /jffs on the RT-AC86U's.

You're welcome.

I'm not sure what lessons you are referring to. As far as I can see prior to this problem you did nothing wrong, you were just using the router normally. It looks to me to be a bug that's present in the HND routers as people have experienced the same trouble trying to clear down /jffs on the RT-AC86U's.

well lessons like doing a factory reset after each firmware upgrade, I was not doing that as often as I should and using smaller names to describe things on my net. I did not realize their was a file size limit so will be making sure I look at that more carefully. That could have added to the file filling up.

There really shouldn't be any need to do a factory reset after every upgrade (I don't). Unless it specifically says so in the change log, or you're upgrading from a very old version.

The size limits on variables is an ongoing problem though. There also seems to be issues with the traffic analyser database growing out of control and filling up /jffs.:rolleyes:

There really shouldn't be any need to do a factory reset after every upgrade (I don't). Unless it specifically says so in the change log, or you're upgrading from a very old version.

The size limits on variables is an ongoing problem though. There also seems to be issues with the traffic analyzer database growing out of control and filling up /jffs.:rolleyes:
hmm I do use that Traffic one too. Is there a way to script clearing it on occasion? has anyone done this?

hmm I do use that Traffic one too. Is there a way to script clearing it on occasion? has anyone done this?
The router trims the file automatically once is reaches a certain size. But for some reason that doesn't always work which leads to problems. So don't worry about it for the time being.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!