What's new

Unbound fatal error: cannot prefer and disable ip6, pointless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snb_fan

Occasional Visitor
Any idea why I'm getting:
fatal error: cannot prefer and disable ip6, pointless

"do-ip6 = no" in the config file and there is no "prefer" anywhere.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

You re likely to get more help if you add what router, what firmware, what other scripts, etc. and whether this has just happened after some sort of change (new or updated script or firmware).

As a quick check, you mention setting "do-ip6 = no" but the correct form is "do-ip6: no"

You re likely to get more help if you add what router, what firmware, what other scripts, etc. and whether this has just happened after some sort of change (new or updated script or firmware).

As a quick check, you mention setting "do-ip6 = no" but the correct form is "do-ip6: no"
Sorry, typo. Config is "do-ip6: no".

AX88U - FW388.2_2

Addons:
skynet
unbound
adguardhome
entware

I was just checking amtm for updates today and updated entware, then tried unbound when i noticed the error.

Thanks.

Sorry, typo. Config is "do-ip6: no".

AX88U - FW388.2_2

Addons:
skynet
unbound
adguardhome
entware

I was just checking amtm for updates today and updated entware, then tried unbound when i noticed the error.

Thanks.
There was an issue (details escape me) with the last round of entware updates that broke unbound. The resolution was simply to rerun the unbound installation.

All the config is, is using unbound actual code..what does the unbound docs shows on how ipv6 should be setup. mine works fine, I have it set to yes

All the config is, is using unbound actual code..what does the unbound docs shows on how ipv6 should be setup. mine works fine, I have it set to yes
I've checked the unbound docs. I've got IPv6 disabled on my router, and I'm not sure why Unbound is thinking IPv6 is preferred - where is this being detected/checked?

As I understand it prefer-ip4: and prefer-ip6: both default to no, and there is normally no prefer-ip#: in unbound.conf. Have you checked whether there is anything in the default conf or any of the possible unbound.conf extenders.

You might want to check running unbound-checkconf which should return
Code:
unbound-checkconf: no errors in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

You may also want to check any start-up scripts in /jffs/scripts; while unlikely a post entware update 'crash' can on occasion scramble some of these (I have had both services-start and wan-event mangled in the past).

My config is the default, and checking a bunch of configs, to your point, "prefer" isn't anywhere. I'm baffled by where it's detecting this as again, I've just installed based on the default installation.

Run:
Code:
unbound-control get_option prefer-ip6

Thanks everyone for helping. I ultimately did a clean removal of Unbound based on some comments from Martineau in another thread, and now the install works without the fatal issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!