What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody from Asus will see your question here, let alone answer it. If you really want an answer you'll need to contact Asus.
That was a very simple (but fair) point... So in trying to help others I looked within the GUI for the support Links & noticed the FAQ in the footer.
Curiously I typed in... 160MHz which led me to... How to ensure compatibility of 160MHz and device with RT-AX89X
(Perhaps the info is outdated & definitely not all routers are the same)
But it pointed out something I had never paid much attention to... It suggested having to enable:
Extended NSS=enable
(Hmmmmmm... It can't be something that simple, could it?)

While I do not own such a high-end device to test with I must state...
That is BLAZENLY-FAST & my guess is... to attain that sort of WiFi Speed you would require 160MHz.
@tetar & others (who were also using 160Mhz) have been expressing their displeasure with how the more recent Asus firmware seems to be handling the 160MHz DFS.
Their common view or statement is basically... "It worked better & was more stable before" (such as on 386.5).
So Here's the BIG Question.
Was the older Asus firmware implementation actually acting in violation of proper 160MHz DFS behavior?
Meaning... although some were experiencing excellent local speeds & throughput...
The router was being a BAD Neighbor & (perhaps) it's behavior was technically illegal from a regulated airwaves standpoint.

OR Perhaps... Every complaint regarding (BLAZENLY-FAST-160MHz devices) is legit & something really has gone a-miss with the newer firmware(s)...
But Alas, it's closed-source WiFi code & therefore completely out of RMERLIN's control.

However I really would like to see an official "ASUS" answer to my BIG Question above.
And hopefully someday we'll know.

I'm just saying it reaches 2.2Gbps/2.4Gbps and it's solid since I rollbacked to 386.5. I use the 5Ghz-1 network with AX Only with many options disabled. And I use channel 36 which tecnically is the better channel in the area with nearly no neighbours in the adjacent channels (say 40, 44, 48...).

But it's outrageous that with 388.x it drops from 2.4Gbps to 1.6Gbps in a glimpse. And I factory reset the router after every firmware upgrade or reflash and update all settings from scratch.

I'm just saying it reaches 2.2Gbps/2.4Gbps and it's solid since I rollbacked to 386.5. I use the 5Ghz-1 network with AX Only with many options disabled. And I use channel 36 which tecnically is the better channel in the area with nearly no neighbours in the adjacent channels (say 40, 44, 48...).

But it's outrageous that with 388.x it drops from 2.4Gbps to 1.6Gbps in a glimpse. And I factory reset the router after every firmware upgrade or reflash and update all settings from scratch.
I certainly wasn't trying to disagree with your observations... but just to clarify... are you achieving those speeds without enabling 160MHz?

1.6Mbps must be still 160MHz wide channel. 1.2Mbps link is the max for 80MHz wide and 2-stream client.
That's what I was thinking so... @jeton7608 under the Wireless=>Professional section... do you have an entry where you could:
Extended NSS=enable
Perhaps some of the high end phones REQUIRE it ???
My limited understanding is that on the more recent firmware... The 160MHz will switch-off when there is no-longer a suitable client connected.

That's what I was thinking so... @jeton7608 under the Wireless=>Professional section... do you have an entry where you could:
Extended NSS=enable
Perhaps some of the high end phones REQUIRE it ???
My limited understanding is that on the more recent firmware... The 160MHz will switch-off when there is no-longer a suitable client connected.
1670011262076.png

1670011195692.png

As you can see... no Extended NSS option in Merlin's firmware.

I'm just brainstorming so... thanks for looking.
I had thought maybe the "Extended NSS" option would appear AFTER enabling 160MHz & disappear when 160MHz was turned off.
But perhaps it's a router specific setting.
Anyone know if "Extended NSS" (Under Wireless =>Professional) still exists within latest STOCK firmware ???
Perhaps it's been depreciated or replaced.
But I did read (within the ASUS FAQ) that it was ONCE required for certain hardware.

View attachment 45893

View attachment 45892

I have 160Mhz enabled and channel set to auto. This has been very stable and not far from default settings. To be honest you should just enable 160Mhz and with using n/ac/ax mixed and 20/40/80/160 bandwidth. Don't even set a channel and test to see if the same issue is present. Our settings on the professional tab differ quite a bit also. I'm just saying that the more basic you keep things the more connection time you log.

View attachment 45893

View attachment 45892

I thought I would try one of your settings on the 5G proffesional page. My system is otherwise stable at this point using 160Mhz and Auto Channel. The setting I tried is below.
ASUS-Wireless-Router-RT-AX88U-Professional.png
Mine was set to this the default
1670021161015.png

Right after I applied settings it disabled 160Mhz without it being disabled in the interface. My channel went to 44 from auto channel. No device would connect at 160Mhz. So basically it screwed my 5G 160Mhz settings. I had to disable 160Mhz and reboot to get the router back where it was before. That seems to be a problematic setting.

My system is also very stable running same as above with + MU-MIMO enabled with channel set to auto, running channel 60 atm, with the pixel running Graphene OS with NO issues and connecting @ 160Mhz

I thought I would try one of your settings on the 5G proffesional page. My system is otherwise stable at this point using 160Mhz and Auto Channel. The setting I tried is below.
View attachment 45901
Mine was set to this the default
View attachment 45902
Right after I applied settings it disabled 160Mhz without it being disabled in the interface. My channel went to 44 from auto channel. No device would connect at 160Mhz. So basically it screwed my 5G 160Mhz settings. I had to disable 160Mhz and reboot to get the router back where it was before. That seems to be a problematic setting.

I won't dispute your settings. That configuration works and it's stable even with a fixed 36 channel. All AX devices connect at 2.4Gbps or 1.2Gbps initially.

In my opinion, if you leave settings to Auto, the system may change channels or frequencies when it's not necessary and it's better to force it.

My ISP is 1Gbps with static IP and Fullcone.

That was a very simple (but fair) point... So in trying to help others I looked within the GUI for the support Links & noticed the FAQ in the footer.
Curiously I typed in... 160MHz which led me to... How to ensure compatibility of 160MHz and device with RT-AX89X
(Perhaps the info is outdated & definitely not all routers are the same)
But it pointed out something I had never paid much attention to... It suggested having to enable:
Extended NSS=enable
(Hmmmmmm... It can't be something that simple, could it?)
What is extended NSS?

Extended NSS: Enable this option to allow devices that support NSS to maintain stable connection when the channel width is 160 MHz or 80 + 80 MHz. 802.11r: Enable this option for fast roaming between different Wi-Fi points.

Cosmetic problem.
On my GT-AX6000, on the WAN page assigning DNS addresses I see two Clean Browsing options , one for the Family filter and one for the Adult filter.
If I select the Adult filter the resulting WAN page shows it as "Filter Mode: Family" when it should be "Filter Mode: Adult".

In my opinion, if you leave settings to Auto, the system may change channels or frequencies when it's not necessary and it's better to force it.
We'll agree to disagree here, I don't see it the same way. Your opinion is not based on facts. The system makes an adjustment because there is a need to, not for any other reason.

Cosmetic problem.
On my GT-AX6000, on the WAN page assigning DNS addresses I see two Clean Browsing options , one for the Family filter and one for the Adult filter.
If I select the Adult filter the resulting WAN page shows it as "Filter Mode: Family" when it should be "Filter Mode: Adult".
RMerlin only supports the DNS over TLS not the individual DNS providers include within. You need to talk to the Clean Browsing team themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!