What's new

ffmpeg RTSP to Mpeg transcoding/ IP Cam to web

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

norgan

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an RT-AC88U and was just going through an original raspi to send my RTSP camera video to a web page. The cpu on that seems to be struggling and it's not working very well so i was thinking of buying a raspi 3.
However, it occurred to me that i have a beast of a router with the latest Merlin firmware so why can't I install ffmeg there and use my router to forward the stream?

My question is:
1. Is this possible without overloading the router
2. how do i go about installing ffmpeg in Merlin firmware?

What do you exactly want to do? You will not be able to view RTSP stream via website 'as is' with html5 nor any of web browser plugins. If you want to use HTML5 players you you need to have stream transcoded, which will struggle the cpu, not best idea to run it on router. If you want to use direct camera stream on web browser you must use VLC plugin with old browser (NPAPI it was abandoned in FF & Chrome due security reason).
I ran such configuration to watch my dog at home while I am in the office (pretty hard home breaker, it was worth to invest in cameras ), the configuration I use:
1. FFMpeg to record cameras to NAS ( audio/video stream copy into mkv container), I do record to usb flash and postprocessing to save HDD's lifetime,
2. Socat to forward cameras to VPN server host so all traffic is only VPN & IP restricted and I can indentify cameras based on port,
3. firefox version 42.0 (last version with NPAPI support) with VLC Plugin - I connect streams with this:
PHP:
<embed width="832" height="468" wmode="transparent" windowless="false" id="cam<?php echo($cam_id) ?>" pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" type="application/x-vlc-plugin" autoplay="true" src="rtsp://<ip>:<port>/onvif1"></embed>

I also added support for simple onvif commands (ptz) so I can use FF html browser controls to track this crazy dog if he decides to break smthing in cameras dead zones ...

If you need to use transcoding to use html5 players streams it would be the best to build ffmpeg from scratch with neon support (this can't be installed automatically from opkg).
EDIT: Of course as long as your arm have such support, I was using NAS's CPU for all of those operations.
I had pretty nice results with encoding videos with this (0.3 x rate on CPU vs 1.0 with HW accell).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!