What's new

Finally got merlin FW to work on DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reference to Alpha1 relates to Xantier’s build / compile.

The GPL releases for the DSL-AC68U don’t occur very often. It’s even possible we won’t see another one for this old model.

Expecting all the latest Merlin features on an old code base is unreasonable.

You would probably be satisfied if you could just get this build working. Maybe it only works on V1 units.

Surprisingly - in the "third World" this particular router remains popular due to its ability to connect via ADSL / VDSL or Fibre - and continues to be supported by ASUS. The most recent stock firmware was released in July last year - and the Source code for it [version 300438421128] was released late in 2018. I believe it is 384.8 ... only one version behind the current one 384.9

For those of us who don't have Fibre yet - this is the best we can get ... so I will remain hopeful :D.

I needed my ISPs help to redo the VDSL PVC, but after a reboot ...

IT WORKED!

The only problem is that the version is 384.7_alpha1 :(:(:(

I'm just posting this as feedback to provide insight. I don't expect it to be resolved.

I have an RT-AC68U which has the latest Merlin firmware on it. It's a dedicated UK Tunnel using a Torguard Streaming IP. BBC iPlayer reliably downloads shows on the iPad.

I also have a DSL-AC68U running this thread's version of Merlin. It is configured the same as the above router, using the exact same ovpn file.

When I try and download shows using BBC iPlayer, it tries to start the download, takes quite sometime, then bombs out with the error:

There seems to be a problem with your Internet. Please check your connection.

When using the Astrill Router Applet, you get Download Failed because the IPs are blacklisted, but this error points a router problem.

Just sharing.

Surprisingly - in the "third World" this particular router remains popular due to its ability to connect via ADSL / VDSL or Fibre - and continues to be supported by ASUS.

Looks like the DSL-AC3100 (AC88U) is going to replace the DSL-AC68U in Australia - can’t comment on other third world internet countries ;-)

Looks like the DSL-AC3100 (AC88U) is going to replace the DSL-AC68U in Australia - can’t comment on other third world internet countries ;-)

I believe you are quite correct in your prediction ... trouble is - all DSL users will have to live without the Magic of Merlin-Ware ... unless @RMerlin takes up the challenge to extend his market share into these fast growing sectors of the Globe.

Maybe someone else will - let's hope so.

I believe you are quite correct in your prediction ... trouble is - all DSL users will have to live without the Magic of Merlin-Ware ... unless @RMerlin takes up the challenge to extend his market share into these fast growing sectors of the Globe.

I wouldn't call DSL "fast growing". The world is moving to FTTH and DOCSIS 3.1.

Hi all,
I have a problem with DSL-AC68U. Someone uploaded the RT-AC68U firmware and I can't upload the original DSL-AC68U firmware. How can i upload the original version? I've tried with the firmware restoration software but it did't work. The router works but i need the aimesh function.

Hi all,
I have a problem with DSL-AC68U. Someone uploaded the RT-AC68U firmware and I can't upload the original DSL-AC68U firmware. How can i upload the original version? I've tried with the firmware restoration software but it did't work. The router works but i need the aimesh function.

I uploaded the original DSL-AC68U firmware and "mtd-write2 DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_21128-g3e869a5_DSL_1.0.4.6.trx linux && reboot" now works well.
As I understand you wrote here that you solved it: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/load-rt-ac68u-firmware-on-model-dsl-ac68u.43161/page-3#post-469846

Hi all,

If you want AIMesh, Merlin isn’t the right firmware for you.

Hi, i wanted to know if this method still works with the last 3.0.0.4.384_56087 firmware or it needs an update.

You could just buy one of these
https://www.skycomp.com.au/dv130-dr...ter-with-1-x-lan-and-support-vigoracs-si.html
I have VDSL 2 and I used to when I had ADSL 2 it's bridged with my RT AC88U, problem solved, I'm sure it's available is most countries.

Howdy!
If you are interested in builds of the Asus Merlin DSL-AC68U please feel free to check
https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/

What I have done there is:
- Update the tools/copy-prebuilds script to support DSL-AC68U. The idea is: we can run it when we wanna update the pre-builds. It copies all GPL prebuils and some C required files too.
- Why copying? I prefer copying original files than monkey patching what there is there because patches can get easily lost when you merge stuff.
- The source code I copy doesn't break other builds: I tried to build RT-AC68U and it worked.
- Changes are split in different commits so that it's easier to understand what I have done: I tried to re-do part of the steps that xantier had done.
- The firmware is built in a docker image on the cloud (CircleCI).
- The docker image allows you to build the firmware on your local machine as on the cloud. No installation nor env vars to setup. It just works out of the box.
- CircleCI Builds the firmware every time there are changes and it uploads releases to github every time commits are tagged,
- I upload build logs to releases in order to increase the transparency of the process

As for now, you can find the latest Merlin beta1 there with the latest DSL GPL prebuilds.
Feel free to have a look at code and test the firmware!
Feedback is welcome.
Enjoy!

Hello.
Thank you for this build. What trx I need to flash at my DSL-AC68U? There are 2 trx on your github.

I tested the bigger (the one with md5)
The difference between the two images is that bigger one has tc_fw.

Not sure what tclinux is here.. maybe TC stands for Traffic control which it may be needed by the DSL. Does anybody know?

this is from the build logs btw.. so you see it's just the same image but it adds tclinux.bin to it.
cat image/DSL-AC68U_384.10_beta1-gnuton3.trx tc_fw/tclinux.bin > image/DSL-AC68U_384.10_beta1-gnuton3_DSL_1.0.4.7.trx

EDIT: I removed the one without tc_fw

Merlin have relise of 384.10 do you have plan to make new version based on it?
I just merged the latest upstream merlin code and the newest firmware is in the release page of my github.
@RMerlin btw how much chance do you see to have DSL-AC68U supported by official builds? In my repo I grouped the changes necesary to make the firmware working on the DSL router, so in case you have interest and time you may look at them and decide if it would make sense to import to support the new router.

Last edited:
Merlin have relise of 384.10 do you have plan to make new version based on it?

Check Github link from GNUton in his first post - the 384.10 firmware is already there [above the previous beta1 version.

@RMerlin btw how much chance do you see to have DSL-AC68U supported by official builds?

None as I have no way of testing it, plus it would require a lot of additional work specific to that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!