What's new

Firewall settings on an AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Easy Limits

Regular Contributor
I am using a EA6900 as an AP behind a RT-AC56U. I am wondering if it necessary to have the firewall settings enabled on the EA6900?

how have you set AP mode on the linksys , as far as i remember they didnt have a specific ap mode ?

ether way once in some form of AP mode as opposed to router mode all router functions are bypassed including the firewall , the only feature that still works once in ap mode are the switch and the wifi

so as to your question , it doesnt matter as it has no effect ( or at least it shouldn't have , linksys be weird sometimes )

I have it connected to my network with a ethernet port (instead of the WAN port) and I have disabled the DHCP server and assigned it a static IP address outside of my address pool.

I have it connected to my network with a ethernet port (instead of the WAN port) and I have disabled the DHCP server and assigned it a static IP address outside of my address pool.

yup so you have basically bypassed the router and wan functionality , thus the firewall will have no effect

I am using a EA6900 as an AP behind a RT-AC56U. I am wondering if it necessary to have the firewall settings enabled on the EA6900?

No - not in your config - it's just an AP - your Router/AP/Gateway is where the Firewall is...