What's new

First tests of rt-ac86u on 384.7 alpha1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

but my only issue is my Yamaha app on my phone keeps forgetting my connected devices on my home network... Not an issue before 384.7 A1 to my knowledge.
Might be something, might be nothing...
did you try to disable airtime fairness?

did you try to disable airtime fairness?

Yes that is what I needed to do to get them to play nicely in the first place, a couple of firmware updates ago :)

I know i will get flamed for this but have to ask. What do you get out of flashing every Alpha and Beta build ? Is Asus and Merlin firmware that unstable you have to sit in waiting for something new to take up your time ? I guess my question is do you have a life or not ? Merlin is not god. And Asus 384 code sucks.

I know i will get flamed for this but have to ask. What do you get out of flashing every Alpha and Beta build ? Is Asus and Merlin firmware that unstable you have to sit in waiting for something new to take up your time ? I guess my question is do you have a life or not ? Merlin is not god. And Asus 384 code sucks.

Just because you had issues doesn't mean everyone else does.

I flash RMerlin's fw, so that I am able to give feedback, which may help myself/others get their routers working at their best. RMerlin is not god, but he is a wizard, and he has made my network issues less of a problem.

You are still around; this means something interests you or you are a sucker for punishment. Get a mit and get in the game. Graba a Asus router and jump in. No sense looking in being all jealous and that...We live for trying out new stuff no matter how illustrious it is.

why do anything? why come here to whine?

I upgraded to alpha 2_g7765e0c91, after over 18 hours of rock solid uptime on previous alpha. Upgrade over previous alpha 1. All devices reconnected like a treat.

On the previous alpha, wife’s iPad was connected entire time. No disconnects on other devices as well. Thanks, Merlin!

Upgraded to the new alpha. No problems at all. Dirty flash but still ready to reset if need be. So far excellent and no problems with "Diversion" as well. Kudos to everyone, this forum and support is the best!! Thanks @RMerlin and @thelonelycoder you guys are awesome!

I upgraded to alpha 2_g7765e0c91, after over 18 hours of rock solid uptime on previous alpha. Upgrade over previous alpha 1. All devices reconnected like a treat.

Thanks for the heads up ;)

Before I mess up my freshly reconfigured USB drive (from this morning :D), what's the best way to cleanly unmount it or even shutdown the router before I upgrade to Alpha 2? I only know how to reboot it (or just pull the plug, which I prefer not to do) but I've had several issues with my USB drive since 384.x (I think) during firmware updates, so there must be a cleaner way to do it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for the heads up ;)

Before I mess up my freshly reconfigured USB drive (from this morning :D), what's the best way to cleanly unmount it or even shutdown the router before I upgrade to Alpha 2? I only know how to reboot it (or just pull the plug, which I prefer not to do) but I've had several issues with my USB drive since 384.x (I think) during firmware updates, so there must be a cleaner way to do it. Any suggestions would be welcome.
In the GUI choose the drive and unmount. Once the drive is unmounted you can choose remove and then remove the drive and upgrade.

In the GUI choose the drive and unmount. Once the drive is unmounted you can choose remove and then remove the drive and upgrade.

I recall reading somewhere that unmounting using the WebUI option didn't take the Entware installation into consideration and might cause trouble. Is it actually 'Safely removing the disk'?

I recall reading somewhere that unmounting using the WebUI option didn't take the Entware installation into consideration and might cause trouble. Is it actually 'Safely removing the disk'?
Cannot be sure about that but the two procedures do take a fair amount of time for the router to complete. I haven't corrupted a drive in a long time doing it this way (knock on wood) and like a lot of users I have a swap file as well on that drive.

Cannot be sure about that but the two procedures do take a fair amount of time for the router to complete. I haven't corrupted a drive in a long time doing it this way (knock on wood) and like a lot of users I have a swap file as well on that drive.

Worked like a charm, thanks.

I successfully upgraded to 384.7-alpha2-g7765e0c91. I did notice a high CPU load which didn't stop, but after two reboots it now seems to have settled down.

I am getting a repetitive error on my AC68U since updating from alpha1 to alpha2.
Any ideas what this is?
Aug 27 09:27:00 kernel: net_ratelimit: 173 callbacks suppressed
Aug 27 09:27:00 kernel: TCP: time wait bucket table overflow
Aug 27 09:27:05 kernel: net_ratelimit: 246 callbacks suppressed

I am getting a repetitive error on my AC68U since updating from alpha1 to alpha2.
Any ideas what this is?
Aug 27 09:27:00 kernel: net_ratelimit: 173 callbacks suppressed
Aug 27 09:27:05 kernel: net_ratelimit: 246 callbacks suppressed

Whenever this happened to me, it was caused by this (second reply from @RMerlin to @Martineau in this post): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...release-test-builds.44060/page-14#post-376318

I haven't seen it in quite some time, though.

Ahh thanks for that, I’ll give it a go and see if it cures it

Just refresh the browser tab with the routers WebUI and you can immediately see whether it was the cause. Otherwise, search the forum for 'bucket', there are other causes.

Edit: you already fixed it :)

Now that you mention it... I switched to Firefox, so maybe that's the reason I haven't seen it in a while...