What's new

First tests of rt-ac86u on 384.7 alpha1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

86u running alpha 1, changed SSH access from Lan+Wan to just Lan and now when trying to change it back it won't, after pressing apply it does the please wait up to 100 but just stays on Lan access only.

Tested alpha 2 and same problem.

I'll revert to latest stable to test.

86u running alpha 1, changed SSH access from Lan+Wan to just Lan and now when trying to change it back it won't, after pressing apply it does the please wait up to 100 but just stays on Lan access only.

Tested alpha 2 and same problem.

I'll revert to latest stable to test.

Besides the fact that I personally think you should WAN access to SSH disabled, are you running Skynet? I think I read somewhere that Skynet now has an option to keep WAN access closed by default.

Besides the fact that I personally think you should WAN access to SSH disabled, are you running Skynet? I think I read somewhere that Skynet now has an option to keep WAN access closed by default.

I am running Skynet yes. I'll have to check that out. Thx

Still a risk I know but I have it enabled with a unique RSA key and password access disabled. Did read somewhere that that was the securist method.

Worked like a charm, thanks.

I successfully upgraded to 384.7-alpha2-g7765e0c91. I did notice a high CPU load which didn't stop, but after two reboots it now seems to have settled down.
I had to power right down unplug and plug back in. Everything worked after that though...;)

Router rock solid for me, but my only issue is my Yamaha app on my phone keeps forgetting my connected devices on my home network... Not an issue before 384.7 A1 to my knowledge.

Have ran the traps on ABsolution and Skynet and no fishy behavior between my devices so I'm a little lost with it. I got all devices singing together again last night, so will look into it further if the issues reappears.

Might be something, might be nothing...

Was a beam forming option for legacy devices. Turned that off, job sorted.

That stopped it. It must have something to do with what browser you use
This message is not serious and is not caused by a browser, it is normally a device on your network that is trying to reconnect. For me when I have this message, it is my other 1900p in bridge mode that tries to reconnect.
The oddest thing is that it's not all the time.

I have had to rollback to alpha 1 due to unstable WiFi on 2.4g side, it started pretty much as soon as I had updated and factory reset less than 24 hours ago. The 5g side was unaffected.
It has stabilised since rolling back.
My router is the AC68U and my usual speeds are 60-80dl and 20up.

Attachments

• 638199D6-426B-4DF7-BF01-B5EAD65F1B18.png
    638199D6-426B-4DF7-BF01-B5EAD65F1B18.png
    173 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
It has stabilised since rolling back.

There are zero wireless-related changes in alpha 2. Main changes were OpenSSL webui, and dnsmasq related.

There are zero wireless-related changes in alpha 2. Main changes were OpenSSL webui, and dnsmasq related.
I will reinstall alpha 2 again tomorrow and see if it the problem comes back.
Every install I initialise and manually configure and I’ve not had this problem.
I checked the 5g side after each 2.4g check and it was rock solid as the attached pic shows and I did around a dozen checks and everyone was similar, maybe it’s a router problem but the issue went away as soon as I rolled back to alpha 1 and I haven’t even factory reset yet.

Attachments

• ED639A18-C6B4-46A1-AFA6-BD862DB6CEC8.png
    ED639A18-C6B4-46A1-AFA6-BD862DB6CEC8.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 550
@RMerlin Does the new AC86U alpha2 (26 Aug) build contain the stateful IPV6/dnsmasq fix?

@RMerlin Does the new AC86U alpha2 (26 Aug) build contain the stateful IPV6/dnsmasq fix?

I don't remember, check the Git log. The build's Git snapshot hash is part of the filename.

Rather than poke through the logs, I installed alpha2 and it does indeed have the IPV6 patches.

Bad ethernet cable on that port or a device on your network goes into standby mode.
Bizarre, because it's the same wired pc and the same cable that was plugged into my 1900p, and i did not have that message.

edit:I noticed that this message appears when I turn on or off the pc

Bizarre, because it's the same wired pc and the same cable that was plugged into my 1900p, and i did not have that message.

edit:I noticed that this message appears when I turn on or off the pc

The RT-AC86U switch has a few bugs, which Asus are still ironing out. I think they recently fixed an issue involving 10 or 100 Mbps links, but the source code with that fix is not available yet.

Try switching your Ethernet cable. Asus's recent 32797 release lists this fix:
No luck, flash with 32797, new cable try in all ports, still the same message.( I send commentary with logs to Asus when i was on this version). I hope they will repair this.
Just by rebooting the pc, this message appears.
edit:Now back on 384.7 alpha

Last edited:
No luck, flash with 32797, new cable try in all ports, still the same message.( I send commentary with logs to Asus when i was on this version). I hope they will repair this.
Just by rebooting the pc, this message appears.
edit:Now back on 384.7 alpha

Some PCs have a BIOS setting to determine what to do with the LAN interface when rebooting or going to sleep mode, try playing with that.