What's new

First timer requiring advice on proposel network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markswift

New Around Here
Hi guys,

First post so go easy :)

I am looking at implementing a new network to allow for my server relocation and future expansion. Also trying to segregate my wireless networks to segregate my mixed wireless devices to see if it aids throughput (My logic is that even if it doesn't I will at least have an additional AP and switch).

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

P.S. The acer is a 7738G and the Asus is a UL30A

P.S.S Not really sure where the title came from as it does not really make sense and is spelled incorrectly too! Must have been tired!

Attachments

• Home_Network.png
    Home_Network.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Good to see you put picture in your first post. :)

To have seperate G and N network is already a good idea. The choking point would be probably the homeplug between routers. I would recommand to put a cable there if possible.

I have to agree with MadKing their. Markswift nice sprint clips you did that in Mac OS correct? Unless you have good wiring and not new funky wiring then you should be okay but you could get powergig plugins instead of what your using.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. FYI the diagram was made online using a tool called Gliffy (wwww.gliffy.com).

On reflection I am wondering if it would be better to swap the 2 routers around, so the N devices can get the most out of the WHS and not be restricted by any bandwidth issues the homeplugs may introduce? Would this make sense, my logic is that the homeplugs are running at around 75mbps which would reduce the overall speed to the WHS to just that, if I swapped the routers I should hopefully not be restricted until I hit the 100mbps of the router and Ethernet to the WHS?

Interested if this makes sense or if I am just being stupid!

FYI, currently I cannot get the DIR-615 to throughput more than 2-3 MB/s so I am hoping this will change once it is all re-setup, maybe it just rubbish though!

Mark

Homeplug can go from 1.5 Mbits to 75 Mbits depending of the distance. I would check that first before trying anything else.