What's new

[Fix] Wifi continually disconnecting and reconnecting with smart connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryannathans

Regular Contributor
Hi all

When running on 384.13 I had great success with my network, everything was nice and stable. Since then, I've had some horrific instability on portable devices and only in some locations - ironically locations with strong signal.

I think I've finally found the cause - the Smart Connect seems to work differently now.

All I've done to fix it is increase the "dwell time" (10 min) and "window time" (2 min) so that my device will get auto-balanced less often when I'm in areas with equal-ish coverage of multiple bands. So far the connection has been far more usable.

Oddly my chromecast doesn't work reliably since 384.13 either unless I disable MU-MIMO (or possibly Universal Beamforming, not certain) but that's a problem for another day :cool:

What firmware version are you running may I ask?

Which router are you using?

There is a guide here or it's been suggested, that disabling my mimo and beam forwarding as well as airtime fairness has helped people

I'm using the RT-AC5300

I never enabled fairness. Beamforming and mu-mimo are off. Next step will be testing the problem devices on a guest network so there's no smart connect to confirm all dropouts cease.

Also run said insider to see if the channels In use are experiencing interference, just incase, it might be the issue.

for me disabling smart connect and then setting a control channel for 2.4g and 5g wireless rather than setting to auto fixes it. with either smart connect or control channel set to auto devices get disconnected and have to be forced to reconnect or by rebooting the router.

I'll try disabling smart connect and manually picking the control channel. Perhaps I'll be able to re-enable MU-MIMO - or maybe that's a separate problem...

I'll try disabling smart connect and manually picking the control channel. Perhaps I'll be able to re-enable MU-MIMO - or maybe that's a separate problem...

For reference, all of these options remain enabled in my setup for both 2.4g and 5g :-

Multi-User MIMO
Explicit Beamforming
Universal Beamforming

good luck.