What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS 1.2.5 - Flexible QoS Enhancement Script for Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don’t think that makes any sense. The Gaming Rule is meant to be used to include the local IP of the gaming device. I don’t know how you’ve decided all these odd modifications to it. Maybe a fellow gamer will come to your aid soon.
1629241746031.png
1629241767020.png

Gaming rule is just a classification right?

Also the exclusion rule for !80,443 is not working as I see port 443 in the gaming traffic
That’s fine, working as designed. As defined in your screenshot, the Gaming Rule takes Untracked traffic (mark 000000) that is not http/https traffic (ports 80,443) and puts it in Gaming. Traffic that is already classified by Adaptive QoS (e.g. Sony PlayStation) is unaffected by the Gaming Rule.

That’s fine, working as designed. As defined in your screenshot, the Gaming Rule takes Untracked traffic (mark 000000) that is not http/https traffic (ports 80,443) and puts it in Gaming. Traffic that is already classified by Adaptive QoS (e.g. Sony PlayStation) is unaffected by the Gaming Rule.
Would putting the packets net control change anytning? Would that be first in the queu?

I allocated 90% bandwidth to gaming however, should I be leaving net control with any?

Would putting the packets net control change anytning? Would that be first in the queu?
Yes, Net Control is always the top priority.
I allocated 90% bandwidth to gaming however, should I be leaving net control with any?
I don’t think Gaming needs that much absolute bandwidth. What is you upload / download?

Yes, Net Control is always the top priority.

I don’t think Gaming needs that much absolute bandwidth. What is you upload / download?
The game plays better IMO when allocated more bandwidth .

Question - since call of duty is pulling 443, and obviously for gaming we don’t want 80 or 443, can I reclassify the call of duty traffic?

Question - since call of duty is pulling 443, and obviously for gaming we don’t want 80 or 443, can I reclassify the call of duty traffic?
How do you identify/ isolate the traffic in the connection list?

Nvm ur right…. Any way to make “call of duty” not be prioritized when it’s using port 80 or 443?

Nvm ur right…. Any way to make “call of duty” not be prioritized when it’s using port 80 or 443?
Not if you have no way to identify it as Call of Duty traffic. In your earlier screenshot, is it all the Sony PlayStation traffic on port 443 that you’re referring to as this Call of Duty traffic? You could add the Game Downloads rule to take Gaming traffic on ports 80 and 443 and move it to File Downloads or whatever class you choose. But it depends how it is identified currently in the list.

Not if you have no way to identify it as Call of Duty traffic. In your earlier screenshot, is it all the Sony PlayStation traffic on port 443 that you’re referring to as this Call of Duty traffic? You could add the Game Downloads rule to take Gaming traffic on ports 80 and 443 and move it to File Downloads or whatever class you choose. But it depends how it is identified currently in the list.
So identify it in the iptables for both 80,443 as games downloads.

rhen what do I do in the app section?

I’m suggesting to add back the Game Downloads rule from the Well-Known rules list. I don’t know if you’ve done that or not. There would be nothing to do in the AppDB section.

If you want any further help, you need to start providing more details about your tracked connections. I’m tired of guessing your situation. It’s all coming back to me now…

Unless you are having incredible lag issues (or you are maxing your upload or download while gaming) not much of any of this will make a difference. And unless you are a professional (in which case you’d be using a pc) then the difference won’t do much for you, and even as a pro it may not.

Just wondering @dave14305, what happens if you run FlexQoS + a VPN by default? Does it break things like with cake (absent rewriting the implementation) or is the point of application such that it still works? From memory when I ran FlexQoS with VPN the GUI seemed to look like it was all acting as it should, but I didn't test performance and don't know how this would operate.

For me the mission critical applications are very specifically 'Zoom' and 'Microsoft Teams'. The biggest concern is about ensuring those work with low latency at all costs, no matter what happens on the connection.

And a big challenge I face from a QoS perspective is fairly large bandwidth fluctuation (40-70Mbit/s or so) given LTE connection (although connection up to 30Mbit/s ul/dl is always reliable in terms of avoiding saturation). I also need to use VPN for work.

It might be better for me to set bandwidth per application in an absolute sense rather than as a percentage of a global unknown bandwidth. Could I do that by setting global bandwidth to 100Mbit/s and then setting maximums? Or would that not work?

Is FlexQoS a good fit in my circumstances? I'd value your thoughts and any suggestions for how to implement / experiment if it might be a good fit.

Last edited:
what happens if you run FlexQoS + a VPN by default? Does it break things like with cake
Upload traffic through the VPN will be classified in one Class (File Downloads by default). Download traffic will be classified correctly because it happens at br0.
It might be better for me to set bandwidth per application in an absolute sense rather than as a percentage of a global unknown bandwidth. Could I do that by setting global bandwidth to 100Mbit/s and then setting maximums? Or would that not work?
Not sure I follow, but since you have a wildly fluctuating ISP bandwidth, you really need to keep the QoS bandwidth tightly aligned with your actual bandwidth in order to control the bottleneck.
Is FlexQoS a good fit in my circumstances? I'd value your thoughts and any suggestions for how to implement / experiment if it might be a good fit.
I don’t think you’re going to find a good answer to your issues. Your network is built on quicksand, and you can’t reliably control bufferbloat and latency via your router if you can’t reasonably predict your ISP bandwidth.

Thanks. I wonder how the samba traffic is dealt with in that case.

Right now I just sacrifice the fluctuating aspect of the bandwidth and throttle to 30Mbit/s upload and download. This seems like a heavy price to pay for the Zoom and Teams sessions to work reliably, although 30MBit/s seems like plenty for my office work and Netflix/Prime.

It would be great to have QoS kick in @ 30Mbit/s only when Teams or Zoom traffic is detected, since I can live with the bufferbloat otherwise. Would that be feasible?

It would be great to have QoS kick in @ 30Mbit/s only when Teams or Zoom traffic is detected, since I can live with the bufferbloat otherwise. Would that be feasible?
Not to my knowledge.

I’m suggesting to add back the Game Downloads rule from the Well-Known rules list. I don’t know if you’ve done that or not. There would be nothing to do in the AppDB section.

If you want any further help, you need to start providing more details about your tracked connections. I’m tired of guessing your situation. It’s all coming back to me now…
current configuration

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 11.17.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 11.17.03 AM.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 152
Does that give you the results you want?
I don’t want game downloads to be prioritized as it’s not optimal for gameplay.

how can I set this up to where my ps5 gaming packets are #1.

If I put my tcp into downloads to another category, do those get prioritized layer? Therefore affecting gameplay?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!