What's new

FlexQoS FlexQoS issues with 388.4 HND5.04 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The answer is, “it depends.”

Gaming
Video and Audio streaming
Work from home
Learn from home
Web Surfing
File transfer
Others

Working from home, to me, takes priority over everything else. So I would offer up:

Work from home
Gaming
Video and Audio streaming
Others
Web Surfing
File transfer
Learn from home
You can't put Gaming at the top unless you cap its incoming speed a lot. XBox games (and some Steam games) are split across Gaming, Web Surfing, Others, with Gaming and Web Surfing being most common. Annoyingly, both the game downloads (huge bandwidth consumption) and games themselves (minimal bandwidth consumption) are split.

It's not helpful having a game download start and strangle every category below it, but that possibility is probable if you own an XBox.

Hehe, is everyone sharing Bufferbloat tests?

With 400GB being pulled in over Dropbox, plus torrents, plus Outlook email syncing on a new laptop - Ping is pretty good:

fc disable is so important on so many models, though. FlexQOS doesn't work properly without it, on any models that I have tried. The speeds per category are completely wrong when it is enabled.

Hey, quick question @dave14305: I always have a lot of connections open. I rarely need to troubleshoot connections these days, but I noticed the other day that Refresh is disabled. I can't click on the dropdown box. In the past it defaulted off for > 500 connections, but allowed me to switch it on. Now it's quite disabled. Can that be fixed?

Cheers,

I noticed the other day that Refresh is disabled. I can't click on the dropdown box. In the past it defaulted off for > 500 connections, but allowed me to switch it on. Now it's quite disabled. Can that be fixed?
You can always re-enable the refresh rate in FlexQoS. Only the Merlin Classification page disallows it. Please double-check what you think you saw.

You can always re-enable the refresh rate in FlexQoS. Only the Merlin Classification page disallows it. Please double-check what you think you saw.
You're probably right. I'm probably mis-remembering which page I used. I thought it was the pie chart one, but maybe not. I was digging through the IPs and connections at the bottom of the page, so maybe I was on the other one instead? Thanks for the suggestion. :)

You can't put Gaming at the top unless you cap its incoming speed a lot. XBox games (and some Steam games) are split across Gaming, Web Surfing, Others, with Gaming and Web Surfing being most common. Annoyingly, both the game downloads (huge bandwidth consumption) and games themselves (minimal bandwidth consumption) are split.

It's not helpful having a game download start and strangle every category below it, but that possibility is probable if you own an XBox.

With 400GB being pulled in over Dropbox, plus torrents, plus Outlook email syncing on a new laptop - Ping is pretty good:

fc disable is so important on so many models, though. FlexQOS doesn't work properly without it, on any models that I have tried. The speeds per category are completely wrong when it is enabled.

Hey, quick question @dave14305: I always have a lot of connections open. I rarely need to troubleshoot connections these days, but I noticed the other day that Refresh is disabled. I can't click on the dropdown box. In the past it defaulted off for > 500 connections, but allowed me to switch it on. Now it's quite disabled. Can that be fixed?

Cheers,
Would any type of feedback to Asus thru app be of any use for them to fix Adaptive QoS with FC enabled for HND routers? Or maybe even if @RMerlin can put a bug in their ear to look into A. QoS with Flow Cache enabled. Maybe this is out their control and cant even be fixed from their end as well.

Would any type of feedback to Asus thru app be of any use for them to fix Adaptive QoS with FC enabled?
Not really. Adaptive QoS works perfectly fine as-is with fc. They have no need to worry about third-party users with custom iptables rules that aren’t available on stock firmware.

Not really. Adaptive QoS works perfectly fine as-is with fc. They have no need to worry about third-party users with custom iptables rules that aren’t available on stock firmware.
"works perfectly fine"

Hehe, I beg to differ. We really appreciate what you were able to put together with FlexQOS. :) Hard to go back to a Ford Fiesta that runs perfectly fine, now that we've experienced a Ford Fusion.

Stock AdaptiveQoS:

1711763569301.png

Custom FlexQoS:

1711763598970.png

Cheers,
is it possible to disable also on the asus rt-ac5300 and when yes where can i do it?

is it possible to disable also on the asus rt-ac5300 and when yes where can i do it?

Your router has NAT acceleration Enable/Disable in WebUI - LAN, Switch Control.

You do it over SSH.

RT-AC5300 doesn't have or use Runner and Flow Cache like newer NHD platforms.

so you would recommend disable nat acceleration?

so you would recommend disable nat acceleration?

The comment above was just about where to find NAT acceleration settings on your router.

Hey whats the default or recommend value of the router client outbound Traffic class?

Also with QOS enabled i cant get the full Upload Speed that i have set up on speedtest.
Strangly on the script spd Merlin i get the full speed.
1711920453235.png

1711920476473.png

1711920349594.png

Your router has NAT acceleration Enable/Disable in WebUI - LAN, Switch Control.

RT-AC5300 doesn't have or use Runner and Flow Cache like newer NHD platforms.
I only have AX routers now. I never had to disable anything to get QOS working on older ones.

Hey whats the default or recommend value of the router client outbound Traffic class?

Also with QOS enabled i cant get the full Upload Speed that i have set up on speedtest.
View attachment 57593
View attachment 57594

View attachment 57592
Probably Other. Something above the slowest classes, in case things get mis-prioritized or take a little bit to get categorized.

What does it show on the QOS page as your limit? What are the category limit %'s in FlexQOS?

View attachment 57593
View attachment 57594

View attachment 57592

Maybe because of this:

Testing QoS effect with the router's built-in speed test tools often generates wrong results for various reasons. You guys test with actual client, wired preferably to eliminate dependent on available bandwidth (active clients) variable Wi-Fi latency. Testing on Wi-Fi - you can play with sites and QoS knobs forever. In most scenarios the ISP applies QoS on their end, you are fighting on your end and Wi-Fi has QoS on it's own on top. The final result - good luck. The final solution - better ISP and fiber when available.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!