What's new

FML ASUS AX86U Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joeeyyy

New Around Here
Background: Recently upgraded home wifi system with a surfboard 3.1 SB8200 and ASUS AX5700, and an AC68U as a mesh router. I'm on the Cox Communication ISP 150MB plan. Also, house is one level, only 1500 sqft, and drywall.

The problem: Internet speed is now slower on the 2.4g channel. Approximately 10 - 15MB, which is slower than previous internet setup. The 5g channel peaks approximately 280MB.

The Solution: I have installed Merlin and tried several router settings with no improvement. I'm now just looking for whatever settings others are using successfully.

Obviously, I'm not an IT whiz, but I would appreciate a plug and play solution. THANK YOU

how about an UNPLUG solution? start with the ac68 (you're mixing AC with AX wifi, and if all your clients are AX-qualified, when they connect to the node, they'll slow down). At 1500sqft, the AX86 should cover your home easily, especially if it's located centrally...
If you're still not getting a good signal somewhere, look at another AX router to be a node, or, turn off the 2.4 bands on both router and node if possible and then turn DOWN the TX power adjustment on both in Advanced>Wireless>Professional for the 5GHz bands...or get into playing with Roaming assistant on both, but that could have negative repercussions on the size of your wifi bubble (range)

The RT-AX86U is able to cover your home by itself. The RT-AC68U isn't needed (most likely).

If it is, in your environment, then be sure it is set up like so:

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

After flashing RMerlin firmware onto the router, did you do a full reset to factory defaults? What settings/features or other options did you change past defaults afterward? I recommend doing the following if you haven't done these basic steps yet. Particularly if you used a saved backup config file from your old RT-AC68U to setup the RT-AX86U.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

You may still want to use the RT-AC68U in Media Bridge mode, if you have wired capable devices elsewhere than the main router.

Media Bridge Mode

For further info, you may find some of the following links useful too.

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

Background: Recently upgraded home wifi system with a surfboard 3.1 SB8200 and ASUS AX5700, and an AC68U as a mesh router. I'm on the Cox Communication ISP 150MB plan. Also, house is one level, only 1500 sqft, and drywall.

The problem: Internet speed is now slower on the 2.4g channel. Approximately 10 - 15MB, which is slower than previous internet setup. The 5g channel peaks approximately 280MB.

The Solution: I have installed Merlin and tried several router settings with no improvement. I'm now just looking for whatever settings others are using successfully.

Obviously, I'm not an IT whiz, but I would appreciate a plug and play solution. THANK YOU

I would re-install the network using only the AX router (and ASUSWRT)... get that working first... my install notes may help with basic settings.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!