What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps. Or create smoke and mirror to pretend he's more what he's..

Well, neither of us have proof of that, for or against.

Personally, I am on your side, as I have always cautioned against HGG's fork, but logically I can only go that far.

(Pure conjecture) AFAIK, merlin or john could have infected the code. When was the last time that you read all of the code? They (hgg, john, merlin) are knowledgeable enough to hide malicious code in plain sight.

This thread is interesting, I am on the fence about trying this firmware out (HGG). I wanted to add the obvious blind spot, if your worried about malicious stuff in the routers firmware, I would think it would be somewhat easy to find because its running linux, plus you can tcpdump and investigate connections. I would like to say watch out for mobile devices if your worried about security.
I have mentioned this before I think, take for instance Android. You or a guest in your home uses your regular wifi. When you first got your Android it sets itself up asking if it can backup everything including passwords. That same phone now has some games that for some reason want all kinds of permissions. Guess what...Google, and some game maker now have the mac address of your router, your wifi password, I'm sure it gets the arp table of the router and collects those mac addresses of all devices connected, possible finds network shares, turns on its gps, sends all that data over plus your phone number, imei.

99% of people don't care, I'm not sure how a router can beat that kind of spying a mobile can do.
If hggholmes is monitoring this thread, please make one for the AC68U with the trendmicro parts missing. :)

Right, then just "roll and dice" or "no risk, no gain".
It is a normal way that each one to evaluate the risk and then make a choice.
What is good for me (HGG in this case) with low risk big benefits maybe doesn't fit for others.
Because of GPL the risk is for sure lower (but not zero) on RMerlin or John but the benefits are limited by rules.
With this kind of discussion we are not keeping them motivated and it will be a big loss for all if they (RMerlin, John, HGG) will stop doing this.
They are the core of this thing. Sorry for missing the names of the other passionate contributors. The list is too long.

Not going to argue about GPL and other stuff, it increases my wifi range dramatically and so therefore I will keep that way.
If it works then it's okey for me.

Anyone know if tomato firmware allows you to transmit above regulated levels or does shibby etc stick to regulations?

Yes, it is working with no issues + appreciations = great job!
Pushing again and again on a thing without having something which prove that, directing always the discussion in the same subject, has a name... paranoia.
As I said before, it should be two different treads, one for GPL.. whatever... and one for functionalities, issues related specific to the version.
It is difficult to find relevant things with two different subjects going in parallel.
Who can split this, please give us the choice of choosing the subject we like.
That's not worthy of any IT line of thinking. Apart from the GPL discussion, I can remember what
nice joy some malware invested apps brought to people. This proves your statement wrong.

Or in other words: absolutely nobody installed malware on purpose, they all thought they installed a useful app.

Just a question to the release ..

There is also an "olddrv" version within 380.57.1. zip file.

Did somebody try this version too ?

I didn't seen that on ac87u file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not worthy of any IT line of thinking. Apart from the GPL discussion, I can remember what
nice joy some malware invested apps brought to people. This proves your statement wrong.

Or in other words: absolutely nobody installed malware on purpose, they all thought they installed a useful app.

Malware = issue :)

I tried this mod after what I read about the extra coverage it provides, well.... This FW is really CRAZY!! It boosted my coverage dramatically....couldn't feel it in 5G, but on 2.4G its crazy what this FW did. I now removed my Wifi extender, seems the HGG Mod did the trick...

Hady

Malware = issue :)

I don't get it. Why not just post the source code of your changes? If you're in Romania, who do you have to legally be afraid of for editing source code and uploading it? I highly doubt it's a crime there so why not post the source? That said, we are having to also trust Asus with their binary blobs. But I won't ever use it if there's no source, as much as I'm compelled to for more wifi strength.

I do not see why source is not posted.
99.9999999999999999% of the code is not hgg's and instead just the original Asus/Rmerlin code or just updated open source libraries/tools.

The code is worthless to more or less everyone(because it is code we could get elsewhere already) and that is why it is so insane it is not released.
Unless he has access to something fancy that is(or isn't) licensed but that is almost certainly not true. Or maybe trying to hide what he did to unlock the transmit power so Asus don't patch?

It is clear hgg should have released source when he did "publicly" release this firmware. It is beyond bizarre why he doesn't just publicly release it now.

It does not add up and that is why people are actually scared of this firmware.
If the firmware was innocent the entirely worthless source would be released.

The only reason that makes sense for why the source doesn't get publish is because the firmware is malicious.

Last edited:
The only reason that makes sense for why the source doesn't get publish is because the firmware is malicious.

Your reasoning is circular and fallacious.

I do not know why the code hasn't been released, but I do have my own ideas of why it shouldn't (for a good cause).

I do not know why the code hasn't been released, but I do have my own ideas of why it shouldn't (for a good cause).

Violating FCC regulations is not justification to break a license (GPL or otherwise).

I have tried my best to obtain a copy of the source from @hggomes on numerous occasions in the past on this forum to no avail, with his most recent claims of "I don't have time, but I will soon" being outright fabrications in the end. I continue to strongly encourage folks considering this firmware to question why @hggomes is so insistent on keeping the source closed. If he has time to continue developing the fork, there is no reason the source cannot be uploaded to GitHub (assuming he has continued to commit on his local fork, it is a trivial matter of 2-3 commands and waiting for the initial push to complete).

I'm glad there are more members of this forum who are following the same logic that I am - the last time I discussed this, I felt like I was swimming upstream. In the end, none of us can directly control what fork someone is going to download and use, but I ask of anyone downloading this firmware, how much do you trust @hggomes? Do you trust there isn't a backdoor in the firmware? Without the source, we have no idea what he's done to the firmware. Consider the Merlin and John forks - their source is open, available, auditable. The HGG fork is not.

Just my 2c on the matter.

What "good cause " ? I loaded it on a spare router that is not used , makes every 2.4 and 5 ghz channel available , not much use as none of my clients can use the channels as they are not supported and or "illegal " to use in my area . Just wondering about the legalities of having these channels available , any issues ?
What should power level be set at to keep it legal ? Saw no improvement in signal over Merlin FW , but did not test much yet .

@jeff288 - It's not my work. I don't know even to read the code :).
Romania is in EU so, restrictive regulations apply also for us.
Unfortunately I didn't contributed with anything.
I found some months ago this fork very stable, long range, very good bandwidth. This saved me.
I personally trust so damn good firmware. 1 year I waited for ASUS to deliver at least a stable fw and... nothing
HGG, I'm waiting with huge interest your next version!

I don't get it. Why not just post the source code of your changes? If you're in Romania, who do you have to legally be afraid of for editing source code and uploading it? I highly doubt it's a crime there so why not post the source? That said, we are having to also trust Asus with their binary blobs. But I won't ever use it if there's no source, as much as I'm compelled to for more wifi strength.
US does not care about borders if the FW is made available and used in the US , they will find a way to prosecute , maybe extradite , it's a worry , maybe. You just never know with the world superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.