What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. It ia not a violation if he doesn't publish the code.
2. It was not realeased to public. We stolen it from his media storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look I could really care less what you decide to do with your network. I and others are simply pointing out the facts.

Yeah, it seems that some of us decided already.
If you want the code you have to negotiate direct with him not to blame him.

Working great here, all settings stock. Still on auto channel. Lan > Lan file copy (SSD in Main PC and Laptop) 112MB/s (896 Mb/s). iPhone 6 5Ghz connects at 433Mbps (S6 edge 866Mbps) & maxes ISP speed 200Mb/12Mb, even from garden! uTorrent 24MB/s.
test.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry i was forgot to tell that im using a ac68u..
I'm still on 380.57 merlin and had changed some settings tonight.
Changed 5ghz from 40 to 80mhz on channel 56.
Speed was 215mbit, after changed settings it has the full speed as what i paid for, 250mbit.
After that i pushed up the fork, 380.57 final and guess what: Speed doesnt go higher then 108/112mbit....
I really have no idea what this could be.
Did a 30/30/30 reset as well a recovery and default.
Nothing changed, so just did a (firmware) update to merlin's one and boom, back at 245mbit...

Really weird!
Dont see errors in log or else.
All settings are exactly copied from hgg/merlin.
And ofc i didnt use import and also did a nvreset...

Last edited:
Oh and i didnt check my local network/p2p speedtest, but all wired connections are on 1gb* speed (with a 24ports cisco switch).
The internet is connected directly to the wan ofc.
It has nothing to do with the switch because the speedproblem is on wifi, in my wired network it all has the 225+ mbit.
Oh and yes, i enabled the spanning tree protocol :)
I have 14 2.4ghz clients and 6 5ghz clients.
All have static ips as well

Last edited:
Is this on 20mhz? I found changing to 40mhz makes a massive improvement.
It was on 40mhz ofc, but changed tonight to 80.. see my other post ;)
I have played with the tx power as well, but it didnt do anything because the router is in front of me at 2mtr away while testing..
I also tried with very low values, because otherwise it will screaming but it just stays on 125mbit instead of 225/250..

Thnxx

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems that some of us decided already.
If you want the code you have to negotiate direct with him not to blame him.

GPL is non-negotiable. When you decide to distribute the binary, you have to disclose the source codes upon request. When GPL is violated, open source users shall defend it vigorously. Or else you won't have this fork to begin with.

GPL is non-negotiable. When you decide to distribute the binary, you have to disclose the source codes upon request. When GPL is violated, open source users shall defend it vigorously. Or else you won't have this fork to begin with.
Try to think a bit, where it was distributed? It was a link posted in a forum by somebody else. It means that this is not under GPL rules. On these conditions if you want his work you have to pay until he decide to release it for free (GPL)
Officially, he had his work stored on mediafire for him and maybe his closed friends. Somebody disclosed the link here on this forum (thx for that) and the discussions started.
Then the sharks showed up asking for the code here and in the other threads.
This dispute is going to far I think.
Sumarized: I don't care about the code, I don't even know how to read it. Important are the results. I assume that I don't use the official (trustable) firmware from butt US which is not the first time when disappointed me but this firmware found hidden on internet saved my investment.
Thank you again and again RMerlin, HGG, Johnxxx and all contributors. Unfortunatelly, you are contributing to butt US profit but you are making a lot of ASUS customers happy.

You really care less ? Doesn't look like that... by your number of paranoia posts...
You don't like... don't use it, but don't tell to other people what they should do.
Kal-El is issuing a realistic caution to users of unknown, private code. He is not telling others what to do. I understand his drive to have public access to the source code, all from a security perspective. And warnings are never unwanted, especially when they are based on a valid observation.

Try to think a bit, where it was distributed? It was a link posted in a forum by somebody else. It means that this is not under GPL rules. On these conditions if you want his work you have to pay until he decide to release it for free (GPL)
Officially, he had his work stored on mediafire for him and maybe his closed friends. Somebody disclosed the link here on this forum (thx for that) and the discussions started.
Then the sharks showed up asking for the code here and in the other threads.
This dispute is going to far I think.
Sumarized: I don't care about the code, I don't even know how to read it. Important are the results. I assume that I don't use the official (trustable) firmware from butt US which is not the first time when disappointed me but this firmware found hidden on internet saved my investment.
Thank you again and again RMerlin, HGG, Johnxxx and all contributors. Unfortunatelly, you are contributing to butt US profit but you are making a lot of ASUS customers happy.

That little loophole you describe may technically mean that the GPL does not apply to the "undistributed" HGG fork, but...

it does not follow the spirit of the GPL, and you know it.

HGG is an asset to this forum and I think I understand the untold reasons why there is no source-code published, but let's be honest with ourselves and admit that it is a bit... unsavory.

HGG is an asset to this forum and I think I understand the untold reasons why there is no source-code published (...)
Could you elaborate a bit on how this way of understanding works? Is it something like 'giving away something you don't have' ? ;)

I tried his firmware previously, cranked up the power, but after reading more about it, its really the SNR you need more than power, and you wont get better SNR from a iphone with the radio cranked up to full power. I went back to Merlins mainly due to that, and the open source of his, knowing what hes doing in there.

That little loophole you describe may technically mean that the GPL does not apply to the "undistributed" HGG fork, but...

it does not follow the spirit of the GPL, and you know it.

HGG is an asset to this forum and I think I understand the untold reasons why there is no source-code published, but let's be honest with ourselves and admit that it is a bit... unsavory.

Yep, I think I understand too... tried to give a reasonable reason :)

Going forward... 3.5 days and nothing wrong to report about this :(
A bird told me that service pack 1 is underway :)

It seems I opened a can of worms a bit here , so I do listen to both sides of the debate, I've dropped the power to 70% on both bands, should bring me (almost - well towards being) inline with the rest of the poor regulated souls. Also operating on Legit channels. The day I posted my not giving 2 hoots about the regulations I was having a nightmare with the network, modem now replaced and all good again, so happy days.

There is an element of truth in that you feel cheated though when you buy something and then regulators change the goal posts either by power or channel restrictions, and this firmware does kinda feel like sticking it to the man. I can also see how it could force the manufacturers to further lock down things should this be abused however, and thus kill the goose (or geese) that lay the golden eggs ; the firmware writers. Something no one wants to happen.

So to conclude, loving the firmware and the work of Gomes, Merlin and John. Also taking on board the messages to proceed with caution. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.