What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
US does not care about borders if the FW is made available and used in the US , they will find a way to prosecute , maybe extradite , it's a worry , maybe. You just never know with the world superpower
Unfortunately, true! :(

Hello everybody
I just installed this latest firmware on my RT-AC68U.
Everything seems to be OK, however I cannot connect anymore to 5GHz band.
Reading other posts around, I saw that maybe I have to change the "Regulation Mode" via GUI or via SSH.
However, neither making the change via GUI or SSH saves the new settings. I always get Regulation Mode = off.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Hello everybody
Reading other posts around, I saw that maybe I have to change the "Regulation Mode" via GUI or via SSH.
However, neither making the change via GUI or SSH saves the new settings. I always get Regulation Mode = off.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Speculation (this may or maynot fix):

Did you clear NVRAM after update and re enter your settings manually ?

mtd-erase -d nvram
nvram commit

Hello everybody

Any advice?
Thanks!

Mandatory things, maybe it helps...
"ALL WIRELESS CHANNELS ARE UNLOCKED AND AVAILABLE ON THIS FW, SO YOUR CLIENTS COULD NOT USE SOME OF THEM BECAUSE OF REGION LOCK ON THE CLIENT SIDE. DO NOT USE AUTO CONTROL CHANNEL OPTION OR THE ROUTER CAN ACT LIKE IT'S NOT BROADCASTING TO THOSE CLIENTS."

@BreakingDad: I just made a software factory reset after flashing this firmware.
Do I need to perform this step (clearing NVRAM) too?

@GGavan: I've manually chosen a WiFi 5GHz channel available in Italy

P.S. I fixed the problem by following the guide at this URL
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4347906-asus-routers-crippled-on-5ghz.html?page=11
and putting as "Region Code" -> IT.

However, it's strange that's only me experiencing this issue here.
Regulation mode yet doesn't work, and (other bug) I can manually choose a specific 5GHz channel;
However, even though the channel I select becomes active, the GUI Shows "Control Channel: Automatic" - Current control channel: XX <- The one I've choosen.

Thanks

Last edited:
@BreakingDad: I just made a software factory reset after flashing this firmware.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4347906-asus-routers-crippled-on-5ghz.html?page=11

Regulation mode yet doesn't work, and (other bug) I can manually choose a specific 5GHz channel;
However, even though the channel I select becomes active, the GUI Shows "Control Channel: Automatic" - Current control channel: XX <- The one I've choosen.

Thanks

It's generally recommended and can clear bugs left in the NVRAM, I think I am correct in saying a software reset does not clear the NVRAM. It certainly will not do any harm, usually it's the first thing I do is telnet into the router and run this command after changing f/w. If it will fix all your issues though is simply speculation.

Lol, get real, extradite over router firmware.
The binary is what matters(who remembers lame ain't an MP3 encoder?) not the source and a binary that outputs too loud in another country does not lead to extradition.
That doesn't even make sense. What is published for use in one country doesn't concern USA. This isnt copyright theft etc(aka stealing, which BTW doesn't lead to extradition either). USA can only protect their products from flashing another countries firmware. Stop being so self important.

So let's not pretend this is about FCC rules because it's not.

This is hgg not releasing code because he is just lazy, or thinks gpl doesn't apply to him or the firmware is malicious. The last is most likely because the other 2 are pretty low life scum(stealing other people's work and all) like if hgg is guilty of them.

The third is low life stuff but at least has a goal.

Last edited:

Thanks

I had this same problem too on my 68p connecting to my edimax bridge with this firmware, clear nvram and setting the channel did not fix it. I went back to John's fork and the edimax bridge worked.

@bits, "The third is low life stuff but at least has a goal." ??
Really, this is your argument?
At most with this kind of sentences some passionate contributors will not help anymore.
If you don't like the context of the firmware there are other very, very good options some of them right here in the forum (RMerlin, John) which should fulfill your needs.
Like others that unfortunately I meet here the only goal is begging for the code forcing improperly with "violation", "GPL" and trying to scare others.
Really guys, this is all that you can do? Just spamming the others?
Like others, I'm able to choose myself. You have this option too... to choose!
This is what is offered here. Take it or leave it!

Sorry i was forgot to tell that im using a ac68u..
I'm still on 380.57 merlin and had changed some settings tonight.
Changed 5ghz from 40 to 80mhz on channel 56.
Speed was 215mbit, after changed settings it has the full speed as what i paid for, 250mbit.
After that i pushed up the fork, 380.57 final and guess what: Speed doesnt go higher then 108/112mbit....
I really have no idea what this could be.
Did a 30/30/30 reset as well a recovery and default.
Nothing changed, so just did a (firmware) update to merlin's one and boom, back at 245mbit...

Really weird!
Dont see errors in log or else.
All settings are exactly copied from hgg/merlin.
And ofc i didnt use import and also did a nvreset...

30/30/30 reset is not for Asus Fw , WPS button trick or simply press reset button 10 sec is enough

30.30.30 is for DD-wrt or Tomato

30/30/30 reset is not for Asus Fw , WPS button trick or simply press reset button 10 sec is enough

30.30.30 is for DD-wrt or Tomato
The 30/30/30 crap comes from the Linksys router(s) used for the first DD-WRT implementation - not used in any other vendors router! :rolleyes:

Use the method as described here to reset your Asus device!

Last edited:
Lol, get real, extradite over router firmware.
The binary is what matters(who remembers lame ain't an MP3 encoder?) not the source and a binary that outputs too loud in another country does not lead to extradition.
That doesn't even make sense. What is published for use in one country doesn't concern USA. This isnt copyright theft etc(aka stealing, which BTW doesn't lead to extradition either). USA can only protect their products from flashing another countries firmware. Stop being so self important.

So let's not pretend this is about FCC rules because it's not.

This is hgg not releasing code because he is just lazy, or thinks gpl doesn't apply to him or the firmware is malicious. The last is most likely because the other 2 are pretty low life scum(stealing other people's work and all) like if hgg is guilty of them.

The third is low life stuff but at least has a goal.

Regarding the comments about malware in the HGG code, I have run every anti-malware program I could access against this FW and no viruses or malware has ever been detected. I tried McAffee, Panda, Avast, Cleanmaster, Kasperski, MS Security Essentials, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Zozzle Java Script Malware Detection. They all say the FW is clean.

I tried running a DNS Leak detector (https://www.dnsleaks.org) to see if the FW was communicating with other servers. It gives the exact same profile as John9527 ver 15E5 FW.

I tried monitoring and logging traffic through the router to see if I could detect any communications with other URL's over the course of a month. Again, I could detect no traffic or patterns that were different than I got with another Asus router running the John9527 ver 15E5 FW.

If there was any malware in the code and it was doing anything, I don't know how to detect it. I am open to other peoples suggestions on that. If there is a backdoor in the FW that allows access to the router, it isn't trying to communicate out to the internet that I can detect and log. If the backdoor is in the FW and it is passive but awaiting outside communication, it must not have been pinged in the last several months (which makes it kind of pointless from a malicious hacker standpoint).

I know this is not definitive for stating the FW does not contain malware but, it certainly passes all the testing I can think of to determine that the FW is safe. I did more testing on this FW than I have done for any other software. I will defer to other software experts as to whether my methodology is lacking.

Regarding HGG being Lazy - I communicated with HGG and received a beta version of FW to test. Ifound a couple bugs which I communicated back to HGG. Those problems were addressed within a couple days and I received an updated FW version with the fixes that worked. I consider this to be truly excellent response time considering that it is free software and HGG probably doesn't do this for a living. This was not the response I would expect from a Lazy person.

I have seen more vitriol and fractious posts regarding this FW in this forum than any other topic. People here are presenting aspersions on HGG to cast him in a negative light, and trying frighten and influence other SNB members who might otherwise be interested in trying this FW.

There appears to be a lot of concern among a small group of SNB forum members that HGG FW will cause the FCC to force all routers sold in the USA to be locked down and never be able to use open source FW because the HGG FW allows the use of other channels and power outputs than is allowed under FCC regulations. I contend that the number of networks using the HGG FW is less than 1000 and probably less than 100. Even if it were 1000's, that would be such a small number compared with the total number of routers and networks, it isn't worth the FCC's time to pursue that. I often do WiFi spectrum analysis when I travel and I find very many Wireless radio sources broadcasting at power levels far in excess of FCC Guidelines and on channels not allowed by the FCC (do a WiFi site survey in a large convention hotel or on a large business campus to see examples of this). know that these sources are not using HGG FW on Asus routers. If the FCC is pursuing FW/Hardware changes with manufacturers, it is almost certainly for other reasons than HGG's FW. He is just being used as a scapegoat (IMO).

Regarding the (non)release of the source code for the HGG FW, I believe that there are several reasons for HGG not to release it, including the desire to just stick it to the SNB forum members who hounded him about it almost from the day the FW was released here. I have never conversed with HGG about this so this is only MY OWN OPINION.

Regarding whether HGG "stole" source code from other software writers such as Merlin, or John9527; I contend that:
A) These software writers freely borrowed code from others. Merlin has stated that he gets code from Shibby (and maybe Kong). John9527 has stated that he borrows code from Merlin. Merlin has stated in previous posts that he communicates with HGG.
B) If the code is open source, it CANNOT be "stolen". Borrowed, yes but, not stolen. I have seen update log notes from Merlin and John9527 which do not have direct attribution to other software writers in the Log. They make attributions in other locations. The update log is often just a summary of changes that is purposefully brief.

Please let us stick to evaluations of the HGG FW and features it has to make it an excellent alternative for people who want/need to use it. Like everything else in life, each individual needs to take responsibility for their own actions and make decisions that are in line with their belief systems and culture. HGG FW is simply a tool. How the individual uses that tool is solely their own responsibility. Do not try to blame HGG for the use, or misuse, of something that is offered to us for free and we are not forced to accept.

US does not care about borders if the FW is made available and used in the US , they will find a way to prosecute , maybe extradite , it's a worry , maybe. You just never know with the world superpower
Not for breaking FCC regulations. And for ascertaining that they don't even need the source code.

Since there is no proof or check possible to disprove the statement that the hggomes code contains either malicious code or intellectual property of others (copied code) would be a valid statement.

Not for breaking FCC regulations. And for ascertaining that they don't even need the source code.

Since there is no proof or check possible to disprove the statement that the hggomes code contains either malicious code or intellectual property of others (copied code) would be a valid statement.

I take it you never watched "Pump Up the Volume" then? If it taught me anything, the feds will be after you in yellow UPS-like vans that say "F.C.C" on the side if you start a rouge radio station, or you know, boost your router range. They will engage in high speed chases. Not worth it in my opinion.

I take it you never watched "Pump Up the Volume" then? If it taught me anything, the feds will be after you in yellow UPS-like vans that say "F.C.C" on the side if you start a rouge radio station, or you know, boost your router range. They will engage in high speed chases. Not worth it in my opinion.
Get real. An unlicensed radio station does/can cause major issues due to strength /power output and frequency it uses. A boosted router is a blip compared to >100W radio transmitters.

And nobody therefore is interested in the programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.