What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just installed 380.57.1 and now i see .2 is out! Anyone knows if simple f/w upgrade will work or does it require the reset/reconfig process?
I`ve upgrade from 380.57 to 380.57.1 and now to 380.57.2 on my RT-AC68 without clearing NVRAM (it`s one tree). My configuration: TFTP-server, Samba/WINS-server, pixelserv, sftp, syslog-ng, upsd/upsmon, udpxy *it`s strange but udpxy from HGGomes out of box don`t work*, transmission, and debian with motion and some codecs (for USB webcam) works without ritual dances. Anyway there is backup/restore utility for NVRAM settings/JFFS and it works after clearing NVRAM/JFFS. It seems that HGGomes forks of Merlin firmware more interesting it has much stronger WiFi (it`s useful for big apartment), and some additional useful features and it don`t seriously breaks source code cause migration from-to succeed without problems.

Guys does anybody know why @hggomes has removed all the links? Please don't tell me because of the id***s on this forum.

hgg voluntarily pulled the links because if this site facilitates access to software that violates the GPL license, this site may be legally cuplable.

Protecting this site is in our interest, idiots and non-idiots alike. :)

There are other reasons, but that is the simplest reason why the public links gone for the foreseeable future.

What? Lol. I didnt understand. I mean. Really. Didnt understand
Let's speed things up. So basically, this thread is about two kinds of people. Those people who have a thing with security. They think that hggomes firmware is not secure because he didn't release the source of the FW. They are simply half-minded from my point of view.
The other guy here is that one who likes to test and gives a good insight about the good and bad things relating the firmware.
That guy is happy and has a happy wife and has nothing to fear Communist Rogue States.

Let's speed things up. So basically this thread is about two kinds of people. Those people who have a thing with security. They think that hggomes firmware is not secure because he didn't release the source of the FW. They are simply half-minded from my point of view.
The other guy here, is that one who likes to test and gives good insight about the good and bad things relating the firmware.
That guy is happy and has a happy wife and has nothing to fear Communist Rogue States.

Well i dont think needing the sources to be released. This fw have potential :)

Let's speed things up. So basically, this thread is about two kinds of people.

Yes, traditional members of EU; new members of EU. Still a great divide in their values. Personally it's eye opening to me. :D

hgg voluntarily pulled the links because if this site facilitates access to software that violates the GPL license, this site may be legally cuplable.

Protecting this site is in our interest, idiots and non-idiots alike. :)

There are other reasons, but that is the simplest reason why the public links gone for the foreseeable future.
The fact that some people fears vulnerabilities in his firmwares doesn't mean they're forced to use them.
From my point of view users have a choice; they can ask hggomes to release his work on github, but they cannot force him or push him: it's an idiotic way of not minding your own business!
It's his work, he can do whatever he likes, users have the same freedom too.
Links were not publicly available, some users posted them, not him.

Thus I don't get his decision, but he probably got fed up by people without a life here.

Sorry for being harsh, but users have been like that with him in this thread, again FOR NO REASON.

The fact that some people fears vulnerabilities in his firmwares doesn't mean they're forced to use them.
From my point of view users have a choice; they can ask hggomes to release his work on github, but they cannot force him or push him: it's an idiotic way of not minding your own business!
It's his work, he can do whatever he likes, users have the same freedom too.
Links were not publicly available, some users posted them, not him.

Thus I don't get his decision, but he probably got fed up by people without a life here.

Sorry for being harsh, but users have been like that with him in this thread, again FOR NO REASON.

The only "fact" that matters is that there is no source, so it is not GPL-compliant, which means links cannot be publicly shared on this forum (because the forum may be culpable). That is the only fact.

Beyond that, we just have our opinions about that fact. There are no idiots or "people without a life". We all have opinions. Stop thinking that your opinions are fact and must be accepted. Just share your view, understanding that is an opinion, and have a conversation. Maybe learn something. Caps-lock, insults, and stubbornness really destroy any chance at logical conversation.

I have enjoyed this thread, seeing what sorts of philosophies people have about free software, open-source, and security. Most replies were conscientious and well-thought out. :)

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
As i've said before, as much as I love this firmware, I won't be using it until the voices in my head are satisfied that its 100% secure. End of the day I still get decent enough coverage and speed on the official. So why risk it to be able to use wifi at the bottom of the garden when its minus 6 outside.

And again im so sorry asking maybe noob questions cuz im very new at asus router modifications. Id like to ask. To REALLY clean the router so there will be no probs from old fw. Can i reset nvram? Then when will i do that? After flashing the new fw? And how to do it exactly? Sorry for many asking. And im using mac if u asking :) please kindly answer because i really really new to here :)

The only "fact" that matters is that there is no source, so it is not GPL-compliant, which means links cannot be publicly shared on this forum (because the forum may be culpable). That is the only fact.

Beyond that, we just have our opinions about that fact. There are no idiots or "people without a life". We all have opinions. Stop thinking that your opinions are fact and must be accepted. Just share your view, understanding that is an opinion, and have a conversation. Maybe learn something. Caps-lock, insults, and stubbornness really destroy any chance at logical conversation.

I have enjoyed this thread, seeing what sorts of philosophies people have about free software, open-source, and security. Most replies were conscientious and well-thought out. :)

Edit: Spelling
All I have seen is people saying how easy is to post your work on github, but nobody with enough competencies to get the work done by themselves using Merlin's code.

My Caps-locks, insults (if you call them so) and stubborness are no less comparable to the comments made on this thread about @hggomes work.

I do respect other people opinions, but most of all I respect the WORK done by others. As you all respect Merlin's work (and I think he should be getting paid by Asus!), you should respect other forks too, you like them or not.
Being disrespectful to the creator of a work brings nowhere. If you want something get it done by yourself, otherwise you have to adapt. No room to criticize, mainly because ALL users have a choice.

Would someone summarize in a nut shell the advantage/disadvantage of this firmware vs John's fork.

All I have seen is people saying how easy is to post your work on github, but nobody with enough competencies to get the work done by themselves using Merlin's code.

My Caps-locks, insults (if you call them so) and stubborness are no less comparable to the comments made on this thread about @hggomes work.

I do respect other people opinions, but most of all I respect the WORK done by others. As you all respect Merlin's work (and I think he should be getting paid by Asus!), you should respect other forks too, you like them or not.
Being disrespectful to the creator of a work brings nowhere. If you want something get it done by yourself, otherwise you have to adapt. No room to criticize, mainly because ALL users have a choice.

He is knowingly and without reservation in violation of the license agreement attached to the source code. I really don't understand the logic of "nobody else is doing it, so shut up" that a few users have taken around this thread. It is theft, that is not a deniable fact, and this fork will only lose that title once the source code is shared.

I suspect others may not have taken up the task of creating a fork of similar intent as the modifications made are blatantly in violation of regulations in many countries where these routers are sold, which run a risk of legal implications if created and distributed even in accordance with the GPL. Speaking for myself, I would not assume that risk.

Merlin's work is done in accordance to the license of which it was shared by Asus, and furthermore provides his fork in compliance with federal regulations and with proper attribution to contributors. Because of this, Merlin has earned my respect. I do not respect those, not just hggomes, who knowingly violate the law or steal others' work.

He is knowingly and without reservation in violation of the license agreement attached to the source code. I really don't understand the logic of "nobody else is doing it, so shut up" that a few users have taken around this thread. It is theft, that is not a deniable fact, and this fork will only lose that title once the source code is shared.

I suspect others may not have taken up the task of creating a fork of similar intent as the modifications made are blatantly in violation of regulations in many countries where these routers are sold, which run a risk of legal implications if created and distributed even in accordance with the GPL. Speaking for myself, I would not assume that risk.

Merlin's work is done in accordance to the license of which it was shared by Asus, and furthermore provides his fork in compliance with federal regulations and with proper attribution to contributors. Because of this, Merlin has earned my respect. I do not respect those, not just hggomes, who knowingly violate the law or steal others' work.

Can you or anyone else show us where in the GPL it is 'theft' to use and modify public code and not share it publicly?

They think that hggomes firmware is not secure because he didn't release the source of the FW.

It is not only about security, it is as much about protecting/respecting the hard work of others.

I have a wife, house, job etc. I personally assume most here are teenagers and have not reached that state in life yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.