What's new

Fork 380.57 HGG-FINAL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but it doesn't change the point for those who want to remove routers restrictions, they are able to do so simply flashing with official ASUS FWs old version, should we blame ASUS (FW) or the user setting those higher tx levels?

The answer seems quite obvious to me.

Freedom is the choice to do the right thing rather than forced obedience. 'Guilty' just because that possibility exists is simply saying freedom is denied.

People who chose to deliberately do things outside the law should be made to comply, I agree.

But the world is not a black and white representation of those laws. Particularly when we're talking about world wide distribution of a product like a router.

Another valid question, lets say you live or only purchased a ASUS router on America and then you moved to European country or vice-versa, should the user not use it? Or simply trash it? Why doesnt ASUS let users choose their region on the FW when situations like this happen? It seems quite a non sense buying a router and not be able to use it or not even be able to buy it in other country being accused of violations when on a different territory.

I find strange this situation when other manufacturers allow to select country region from Albânia to Zimbábue.

Last edited:
I just can't believe that all manufactuers bend over for FCC. Is north american market really that big and important, that they neglect others?
I use HGG's firmware just because i can't use everything that router has to offer me in EU with stock or merlins fork. I use TX power within our regulations (give or take :).

Sure, but it doesn't change the point for those who want to remove routers restrictions, they are able to do so simply flashing with official ASUS FWs old version, should we blame ASUS (FW) or the user setting those higher tx levels?

The answer seems quite obvious to me.

Asus no longer offers those older firmware for download. Users going through the trouble of tracking down and flashing those older firmware are taking full responsability - including the fact that they would be flashing firmares with MULTIPLE known security holes. To be blunt, that's stupid. Anyone on your LAN where you still run one of those firmware can instantly gain root access to your router for instance, through the infosvr vulnerability.

No matter how you try to spin it, it's illegal, period.

I find strange this situation when other manufacturers allow to select country region from Albânia to Zimbábue.

Watch those manufacturers gradually stop offering that possibility over the coming months for any device sold in the US, if they haven't done so yet.

This whole FCC thing has been debated to DEATH for over two years now, and I'm tired of the same debate coming back again every few months as someone comes in and hasn't seen everything that's been written and discussed before on this topic.

Just because you want or you wish something doesn't make it the truth.

Asus no longer offers those older firmware for download. Users going through the trouble of tracking down and flashing those older firmware are taking full responsability - including the fact that they would be flashing firmares with MULTIPLE known security holes. To be blunt, that's stupid. Anyone on your LAN where you still run one of those firmware can instantly gain root access to your router for instance, through the infosvr vulnerability.

No matter how you try to spin it, it's illegal, period.

Sorry to disagree but your information is not true, ASUS does offers ALL those firmwares to download, maybe you dont see the same as I then, simply go to the product download page and see by yourself, it's there available to all models, except new ones, if its illegal it's there.

What does this site's admin think about this whole "violation of the GPL" ? Does he/she ignore it, not care, doesn't know about it ?

The so-called discussion about this doesn't belong in this user support thread...

Sorry to disagree but your information is not true, ASUS does offers ALL those firmwares to download, maybe you dont see the same as I then, simply go to the product download page and see by yourself, it's there available to all models, except new ones.

The oldest RT-N66U firmware available for download on the support site is from 2014/09/09.

Don't really base yourself on the date, but on versions, there are 374 versions available, being GPL or FW, and also there's a big mix up of different versions there.

Don't really base yourself on the date, but on versions, there are 374 versions available, being GPL or FW, and also there's a big mix up of different versions there.

I don't quite get along your argument frankly..

Just want to say..don't abuse Asus support to open source community or their 'goodwill' with intention or not to their users. Asus could act in a way as arrogant as Apple and requests Merlin to purge source code repository e.g. before 380 branch, and requests old firmwares to disappear from there sites as well as google search..

Regardless of whether they forgot to remove some of them or not (they have over 40+ different models to keep track of...), that doesn't change a thing in regards to regulations. They will no longer be allowed to sell non-compliant devices starting in June 2016, and they are already no longer allowed to request validation of any new device since last year.

I'm done repeating myself. Go read what's already been written on the topic, including direct quotes from the FCC regulations.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-ruling-by-fcc-limits-modification.26151/
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-your-routers-transmit-power-juiced.17710/
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-locking-down-routers-to-comply-with-new-fcc-rules.18762/

I undertand your valid point, but it seems to me a contradiction when they still supply those firmwares, maybe they should remove them if it's something illegal.

GNU Public License... simply put
Please, get a live ....
I am really fet up with your comments in this forum: when I see your avitar I skip reading as I know it is flame what is written.
How can you be so on a public forum of router enthousiasts, shame on you!

Go read what's already been written on the topic, including direct quotes from the FCC regulations.
But we still need firmware which uses the max allowed RF-power in Europe, so Merlin, please focus on the old continent for after June 2016 .....:cool:
I read that Asus is coming with E-variants in 2016: these have the max RF-power output set to ETSI standard :)

That does not give you the right to spam this site.

Well - for one - you, nor others, are not going to shout me down on this - so get over that...

Secondly - not the first time I've been here in this kind of situation - and I'm tough enough to take it - I'm correct in what I'm saying - not just in the US, but everywhere...

Not a popular position perhaps - but at the same time, are you willing to tolerate broken windows in your neighborhood? If HGG gets away with this, what else is someone going to put a blind eye towards?

Seriously - my interests here are to keep Asus firmware free so that folks like RMerlin and John can continue to contribute and share - HGG's build apparently has some good features, that could make great contributions to the overall effort - but he steadfastly refuses to share - not sure why or what his motivations are - but the deliberate act of not sharing GPL code - well this is offensive to the extreme, and in clear violation of the GPL.

We're already seeing the impact of bad actors - threats by regulatory agencies, locking down the wireless firmware (closed source), now we're seeing encrypted boot loaders - next thing will be signed code execution - and when that happens - it will be impossible for the good guys to contribute to a great project...

So consider that, my friends... and perhaps you will agree - HGG - release the code...

Status
Not open for further replies.