What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have noticed poor performance on both bands when b/g Protection is not selected. It doesn't intuitively make sense because unchecking it should in principle speed things up. But when I uncheck b/g Protection it results in a less stable connection even though I have no old B or G class devices. Confusing, eh?
@WillPanic I have "Optimized for Xbox" off and "b/g Protection" on. I have no problems but I'm using an RT-AC68U.

Interesting.. 5 GHz has always (*quickly knocks on wood*) been rock solid for me, regardless of my settings for 2.4 GHz. I don't have any devices that can't handle N so I never thought of trying turning on b/g Protection. Things are stable in N Only at the moment but I'll give that a try over the weekend with Auto to see if that resolves the issues on 2.4 GHz.

I have noticed poor performance on both bands when b/g Protection is not selected. It doesn't intuitively make sense because unchecking it should in principle speed things up. But when I uncheck b/g Protection it results in a less stable connection even though I have no old B or G class devices. Confusing, eh?

I switched from Shibby Tomato few months ago and I noticed right after switch that my wifi sometimes is very slow with high latency.
I have "N only" ON and "xbox" and "b/g protection" OFF since start, with 5GHz band disabled on RT-AC68P. Sometimes it's so slow that I have to turn on wifi on phone and use mobile network.
Will have to test if checking some boxed fixes it.

I'm new here. I have a RT-AC68U,
Please inform us which version to install: Update39E3 or Update39L3

The original software ASUS annoys me because something does not work now does not work downloadmaster

I'm new here. I have a RT-AC68U,
Please inform us which version to install: Update39E3 or Update39L3

The original software ASUS annoys me because something does not work now does not work downloadmaster

Go to the first post and read the Installation notes section for which version to install.

I don't know which specific version of the RT-AC68U you have, and I also have never used download master either.

The 'E' Builds for ARM routers also contain the latest ARM SDK providing support for the newer rev level AC68U and it's variations.

The 'L' Builds contain the original wireless drivers (2014 release) and DO NOT address the KRACK exploit, and for ARM routers DO NOT contain the latest SDK providing support for the latest AC68U rev levels.

It is pretty straightforward which build you should use (I would use the 'E', as recommended), but in some cases, you may be able to use both depending on the router you have.

I don't know which specific version of the RT-AC68U you have, and I also have never used download master either.

It is pretty straightforward which build you should use (I would use the 'E', as recommended), but in some cases, you may be able to use both depending on the router you have.

Thank you for a good explanation of the differences

No dice. Performance instantly regressed across all 2.4 GHz devices to the terrible latency and speed of before after reverting back to to Auto, but with b/g Protection on. I'll be fine with N Only mode but it is puzzling..

Hi,

I have an N66u running 3.0.0.4.374.43_39E3j9527.

Most of the time it's really stable, though intermittently (once or twice a week) the router will hang, causing all connections to be dropped. The router requires a manual power cycle to kick it back into life again.

Apart from setting up wireless I've not made any changes to the default config.

The router has been unstable like this through a number of Merlin releases, so it may well be the router hardware at fault.

Are there any extra logs I can switch on, to see what's happening before the router crashes (all logs seem to get lost post-reboot)?

Cheers,
Matt

@Matthew1471 TBH it sounds like the hardware is getting too old. You could try replacing the power adaptor as those have been known to become "marginal" with age.

Hi,

I have an N66u running 3.0.0.4.374.43_39E3j9527.

Most of the time it's really stable, though intermittently (once or twice a week) the router will hang, causing all connections to be dropped. The router requires a manual power cycle to kick it back into life again.

Apart from setting up wireless I've not made any changes to the default config.

The router has been unstable like this through a number of Merlin releases, so it may well be the router hardware at fault.

Are there any extra logs I can switch on, to see what's happening before the router crashes (all logs seem to get lost post-reboot)?

Cheers,
Matt

Does this happen when you're streaming HD/UHD content and/or torrenting huge files? Sometimes my N66W hangs and all clients lose connection when I do, so I wanted to ask to see if there are any similarities.

PS: You can use scmerlin to restart services (dnsmasq/internet connection/wifi) instead of power cycling and save time. I know it's a workaround, not a solution but works for me.

@underdose there doesn't seem to be a particular trigger that causes the router the hang, it can be at any time. I'll take a look at scmerlin :)

@ColinTaylor interesting about the psu. I've ordered a replacement one. Hopefully it'll help - £10 is much better than a new router!

Hi i'm wondering if someone can help me, i'm sure i have just missed something but here is where i am

I am currently running V39D4 on an AC66u and attempting to configure DoT

The firmware is installed ok and i can select the radio button for DoT i did this and choose QUAD9 secure and adguard as the DNS servers. I'm not stuck on these and don't really mind what i use, i just used these as they are not CF 1.1.1.1 which is what i have in the LAN DHCP section. Everything seemed to be selected ok and i rebooted the router just be be sure and once logged in everything had stuck. Now next to the radio button for DoT it says

Enable DNS over TLS support
DoT becomes primary DNS server(s)

So i thought i would try a test, i googled a DoT test and found "https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/" When i go here i fail the first and last test the middle two are ok. What i found strange was that the first error for SDNS says

You are not using secure transport for your DNS
We detected you’re using 1.1.1.1 (a secure DNS resolver) but not over a secure connection.
Anybody listening on the wire can see the DNS queries you make when using the Internet.

If DoT becomes primary DNS server(s) and i have Q9 and Adguard why is it still seeing 1.1.1.1? I did an ipconfig /all and yep it's listed as 1.1.1.1 there too not 9.9.9.9 as i was expecting to see. Now i do still have 1.1.1.1 in the DHCP server setting so i guess that's where it's getting it from. Am i missing something?

i just used these as they are not CF 1.1.1.1 which is what i have in the LAN DHCP section.

So i thought i would try a test, i googled a DoT test and found "https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/encrypted-sni/" When i go here i fail the first and last test the middle two are ok. What i found strange was that the first error for SDNS says

You are not using secure transport for your DNS
We detected you’re using 1.1.1.1 (a secure DNS resolver) but not over a secure connection.
Anybody listening on the wire can see the DNS queries you make when using the Internet.

If DoT becomes primary DNS server(s) and i have Q9 and Adguard why is it still seeing 1.1.1.1? I did an ipconfig /all and yep it's listed as 1.1.1.1 there too not 9.9.9.9 as i was expecting to see. Now i do still have 1.1.1.1 in the DHCP server setting so i guess that's where it's getting it from. Am i missing something?
Remove 1.1.1.1 from your LAN DHCP DNS field. That is instructing your clients to use old-fashioned DNS with CloudFlare, bypassing your router and DoT completely. Then you'll be in good shape.

@dave14305 Ok i did that and it seems now when i do an ipconfig /all it only shows my router as the DNS which is probably working as it should be i'm still resolving IPs ok so it must be getting the DNS form the DoT section now brill.

So after changing those things i tried the test again and got

We weren’t able to detect whether you were using a DNS resolver over secure transport. Contact your DNS provider or try using 1.1.1.1 for fast & secure DNS.

I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that CF would only validate the sDNS if you used their server so back in the asuswrt i choose CF as my DNS provider and tried again. Same result so now i have no DNS in the LAN DHCP and i only have CF selected in the asuswrt gui still the above message.

@ColinTaylor I think that is the most upto date version it's dated 18th april it's a dev release a day after the last E3 release, am i missing something again? I did think maybe the dev build has issues so i tried V39E3 the one from 17 april in the first post on this thread. Still the same.

Anything else i have missed?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!