What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Last edited:
Hello,

NOOB question.

I've been looking to upgrade the Tomato v1.28 firmware on my Asus-N66U. I spent some time looking at DDWRT firmware, but gave up up on the incomprehensible documentation/installation guide. Then I found this firmware.

I installed the Tomato firmware on the device six years ago, and it hasn't been updated since. I've also completely forgotten how I installed this in the first place ;<(
My current firmware release is Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-115 K26 USB AIO-64K
Can I simply install the latest 39E3 release on top of this?
I notice that there is an upgrade option included in the Tomato firmware, under Administration -> Upgrade. Can I use this?
Or, reading the release notes, do I have to use the Asus Firmware Installation Tool to install from scratch?
Do I have to backup the JFFS filesystem before starting?
Is the factory reset included as one of the installation steps?

Many thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
I notice that there is an upgrade option included in the Tomato firmware, under Administration -> Upgrade. Can I use this?

Yes. Download new firmware, upgrade via that interface.
When router restarts, return router to factory settings (reset NVRAM). This is MUST.

After that setup everything again, do not import setting from old router.
That's about it.

My current firmware release is Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-115 K26 USB AIO-64K
Can I simply install the latest 39E3 release on top of this?
Unless Tomato has some specific compatibility with the current version of this firmware (I don't know whether it does), I would say absolutely not. Look at the @UpgradeMatrix.txt document in the download folder. Unless you're upgrading from specific earlier versions of this fork you must use the restoration tool followed by a factory reset.

The jffs partition will be wiped out, but it's unlikely there's anything currently in there that can be reused.

@Mikeyy & @ColinTaylor ,

Many thanks for the replies.
I had seen the compatibility matrix report, and had noticed that the Tomato firmware was NOT included. But I was uncertain if Tomato was an early predecessor of one of the supported firmware versions in that report.

So , probably best to use the restoration tool. However, I can't find it on the Asus website. It seems to have been taken down. I followed the steps here for anotehr router, the RT-AC66U, using the instructions here
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
but it is no longer available.

I've just downloaded it from here
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Netwo.../ASUS-RT-N66U-Wireless-Router-Utilities.shtml
but this indicates that it doesn't install under Windows 10. I can confirm that this is the case. I even tried running in Windows 8 compatibility mode, and it doesn't install.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Paul

So , probably best to use the restoration tool. However, I can't find it on the Asus website. It seems to have been taken down. I followed the steps here for anotehr router, the RT-AC66U, using the instructions here
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
but it is no longer available.

Restoration tool isn't needed. I switched from Shibby Tomato to this firmware few months ago without problems via firmware interface. Just delete NVRAM after install and don't use old restore images to restore settings.

Restoration tool isn't needed. I switched from Shibby Tomato to this firmware few months ago without problems via firmware interface. Just delete NVRAM after install and don't use old restore images to restore settings.
Did you do it with an RT-N66U though?

Many thanks to all for your brilliant help.
Installation went flawlessly, using the Asus Restoration Utility.
I had to wait for about one hour before installation completed, as noted on @john9527's initial post on this thread.
Happy camper.

Paul

AsusWRT is actually based on Tomato from the beginning. Like @Mikeyy I also just use the web interface when upgrading between AsusWRT and Tomato. Not a big deal at all.

AsusWRT is actually based on Tomato from the beginning. Like @Mikeyy I also just use the web interface when upgrading between AsusWRT and Tomato. Not a big deal at all.
Just because it's based on Tomato (lots of firmware are) doesn't automatically mean that every firmware version for every model can be upgraded that way without issues. Some models for example have issues with partition resizing. So my question again would be: have you done this on an RT-N66U?

No, lots of firmware are not based on Tomato. That is an untrue generalization sorry to say. Please elaborate which models have problems with partition resizing as we could use some edification.

No, lots of firmware are not based on Tomato. That is an untrue generalization sorry to say.
Well there are 14 different versions listed here (excluding AsusWRT).

Please elaborate which models have problems with partition resizing as we could use some edification.
Well the RT-AC68U running older firmware is one well documented case (BTW I'm not talking about a Tomato-specific issue here). But that's not the point. You're making a generalisation about all routers and all firmware versions. So for our edification can you tell us how you know with certainty that this will work on an RT-N66U?

Last edited:
Could you explain the difference between 39E3 and 39L3 version?
Here:

LATEST RELEASE: Update-39E3/39L3
17-April-2019
Merlin fork 374.43_39E3j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

This is an LTS (Long Term Service) fork of Asuswrt-Merlin based on 374.43_2. This older code base has a history of being very stable, and some of the older code components may perform better in some environments. It may be a good choice for those who desire a 'set it and forget it' router solution. Additional information on the differences between this firmware and the later Asuswrt-Merlin releases can be found following the recent change highlights.

The following routers are supported by this firmware:
  • N16, N66U, AC66U (original MIPS based revs)
  • AC56U, AC68U (Rev A1,A2,B1), AC68P (and the retail and color versions, R and W, of each router)
  • AC68U (Rev C1,E1), AC1900 and AC1900P (and the retail and color versions, R and W, of each router) and the AC66U-B1
The following routers were released after the base code used for this fork was available, and are NOT supported.
  • AC87U, AC3100, AC3200, AC88U, AC5300, AC86U, AC88U (and the retail R versions)
Source: https://github.com/john9527/asuswrt-merlin : branch 374.43_2-update
IMPORTANT The github repro was rebased on 29-November-2018.
If you have a local repo created before this date, you should save any custom changes, clone a new copy, then re-apply your changes.

Following are the major changes (full changelog is in the zip files)

Update-39E3 Highlights
  • Backported fixes for two buffer overrun exposures from Merlin 384
  • Custom scripts now post a log message if they are not marked as executable
  • SMB custom script processing now uses shared common subroutines
  • Fix a case where the JFFS syslog copy may not be updated

Update-39E1 Highlights
  • Updated curl to 7.64.1
  • Updated nano to 4.0
  • Updated Dropbear to 2019.78
  • Updated Dnsmasq to G5c464ef snapshot
  • Updated CA bundle to 2019 January 23rd version
  • Multiple fixes to Stubby server selection, Updated resolver csv
    These fixes should address problems selecting/properly activating some servers (symptom is wrong server shown as selected or no DNS access with some servers). If you have manually updated the resolver csv, you should pull a new copy via 'stubby-update-resolvers.sh'
  • Provide filesystem type as second argument to pre-mount script (Merlin backport)
  • Increase OpenVPN interface queue length (Merlin backport)

Installation Notes
  • Firmware is now packaged as a zip file (consistent with Merlin firmware releases). Remember to extract the .trx file prior to updating the firmware. An sha256sum file is included in the zip file to validate the firmware.
  • For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website or the built in CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.
  • When using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool or CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware on MIPS based routers (N16, N66 or AC66 non_B1) the upgrade process can take from 40 minutes to 1 hour. Please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
  • Currently, two build streams are maintained.
    • The 'E' Builds are the recommended builds and contain the latest wireless drivers and related fixes, including the fixes for the KRACK exploit on all supported models except the N16 (ASUS never released a KRACK fix for the N16). The 'E' Builds for ARM routers also contain the latest ARM SDK providing support for the newer rev level AC68U and it's variations.
    • The 'L' Builds contain the original wireless drivers (2014 release) and DO NOT address the KRACK exploit, and for ARM routers DO NOT contain the latest SDK providing support for the latest AC68U rev levels. In addition, some fixes dependent on either the latest wireless drivers or latest ARM SDK may not be included in the 'L' builds. Please review the release notes/Changelog for further information.
  • If you are updating an AC56U or AC68U running a fork version V26 or earlier, a factory reset is recommended following the firmware update to V27 or later. You may also need to reformat and restore JFFS due to updates for compatibility with the Merlin releases. Other fork users running an N16, N66U or AC66 can update to the 'E' Build as normal without a factory reset.
  • Please review '@UpgradeMatrix.txt' in the download directory, which describes the upgrade options for all the supported routers. Included are the requirements for a Factory Default Reset or reformat of JFFS.
  • Users are reminded to have a jffs backup. For users with MIPS based routers, changes in the code image size may affect the jffs space. For users of ARM based routers, changes in the jffs partitioning may also affect the jffs allocations. If you are having jffs script errors or cannot access jffs after loading the firmware, please reformat jffs from the Administration page and restore your jffs backup.

Additional Information
The fork does include
  • Maintenance for documented security issues
  • Maintenance for supporting open source components (such as dnsmasq, miniupnpd, etc)
  • Backports of applicable fixes and new functions from Merlin's main branch
  • Some unique support for options requested by users, such as DoT, NTP Server and improved Traditional QoS
  • A different IPv6 stack which may work better in some environments
  • A separate build with older versions of the wireless drivers that some feel offer better performance (especially on the MIPS based routers)
  • Less of a lockdown on tweaking power levels
The fork does not include
  • The new TrendMicro DPI engine functions for ARM routers
  • The enhancements to the networkmap for custom icons, client naming, etc.
  • Some of the enhanced gui formatting of later releases, for instance the new wireless log
  • Support for the ASUS router control app
  • Support for 5 VPN Clients as in Merlin (this fork supports 2 client instances). Note that the N16 does not support VPN Client/Server due to memory limitations.

Custom features of the fork which are not exposed in the gui can be set by an nvram variable. These custom features are documented in the Merlin_Fork_Options file in the download directory.

Thanks to all for your continued interest in this fork.

SHA256
Code:
(Default Build - All supported routers)
1da9783719ba049db983d951f2bf1d2e491eb54da536f6c37b91f83382570b41  RT-N16_374.43_39E3j9527.trx
7ff2550da6a757f989d0e826a65ad564882d9b964bc59be4ea70b85216705d21  RT-AC66U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx
79375da7d3f55626b9cd24aec5b13fb9871e86014f26959b70b32b16fae7fb64  RT-N66U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx
8e21b418e7df90d01b574e1fda08a6be5a8720ac9896a45cf1c8cba01c9dff0f  RT-AC68U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx
0bb8364fda5740a1314115dbc1d9acc1f39f92498df55d1f2622ba7d6b0d48d3  RT-AC56U_374.43_39E3j9527.trx

(Legacy Only Builds)
fbba5033a87c5fbed9b3f83a2960838a5d53b717075d1aadc5c0d0ddfe54e4eb  RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-39L3j9527.trx
92faa3693ffc2cbef324fad7ff510d302628c57d977d5597e374e534fb04690b  RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-39L3j9527.trx
545927719c46e359a0db6bf9dcb348f99c0f3d8786725780cb182994c61b19be  RT-N16_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-39L3j9527.trx
5e9c82a5b250097172fe3867667149dfa46ed792782cc9f7d11959c44957c2f5  RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-39L3j9527.trx
9aa05ea06237b4ebec4619c43d9b7ad221c2565a4667971d172a6d857d1bac88  RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-39L3j9527.trx

Enviado desde mi Moto Z2 Play mediante Tapatalk

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the 2.4 GHz band with extremely slow (sub 3 Mbps) and super high latency when the Wireless Mode for 2.4 GHz is set to Auto?

If I switch the router to N Only, my iPhone and laptop jump back up where they are expected to be in the 73 Mbps down and 5 ms latency. If it matters, Optimized for Xbox is checked, b/g Protection is not. Control Channel, Channel bandwidth, Extension Channel, and having a Guest Network enabled and sharing the frequency have made no impact either way in while troubleshooting. Oh, and 5 GHz is on a separate SSID. I started noticing it with 39E1 and it has carried over into 39E3. This is on an RT-AC66U.

Last edited:
I have noticed poor performance on both bands when b/g Protection is not selected. It doesn't intuitively make sense because unchecking it should in principle speed things up. But when I uncheck b/g Protection it results in a less stable connection even though I have no old B or G class devices. Confusing, eh?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!