What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@JensM I suggest that you start by fixing access to the web interface. Try SSHing into the router and issuing the following commands:
Code:
nvram set http_enable=2
nvram set http_client=0
nvram set http_clientlist=""
nvram commit
service restart_time

If you're using Chrome as your browser see this post.

Yes you can use AP mode without problems.

For a description of legacy build see post #1.

For a description of legacy build see post #1.

It doesn't look obvious for me but after carefully reading #1 again I got it now.
"E"-Versions = default and "L"-Versions = legacy, I'm already using an E-Version.

So I'll fix my web interface and then I'll follow the upgrade matrix. Thank you. :)

Legacy uses old wireless drivers which could provide much more radio power, if you need best coverage then go with it, otherwise better to use E (enhanced) version with newer drivers and patches.

Just loaded most recent RT-AC68U firmware 40EDj9527

Everything seems to be working OK including DoT with Cloudflare

By the way recently upgraded to gigabit internet 1000/35 from my ISP and
router is handling it quite well. Thought I would need a newer/faster router CPU but was pleasantly surprised. The router is overclocked to 1200 Mhz plus HW acceleration set to both CTF and FA

58106594.png

Thanks John wherever you are!

Last edited:
Update to a rather plain-vanilla RTN66U from 38L4 to 40ED beta: The update from the GUI went without a hitch and so far have not seen any problems. Thanks to John...good to know you are still keeping us alive and well.

Last edited:
@rstone That's a fair point. The builds currently present in John's development drive have never been acknowledged, let alone published by John.

That said, this is the drive that John has publicly used for beta testing before. And for those of us that have worked with him for a long time everything appears to be consistent with his work.

But as these development builds have never been officially acknowledged I personally would never recommend anyone use them unless they've got a specific issue that needs to be fixed. But even then users do so at their own risk and have to accept that there is zero support for them.

Maybe I am a little paranoid :)

Unless someone would step up and claim the work - I think there is even security risk associated with these new builds.
I am not sure how do you know it is John's drive , but I created this drive for fun :
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AK1UlXb0uxHxJno&id=E230F250AF45154A!1929&cid=E230F250AF45154A
It will show it is owned by John 9527, but it is not :)

Original builds have authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo
New builds have : authkey=!AKXdaMzjqVKbGsc

I am not 100% sure , but I think authkey should be unique per user.

Maybe I am a little paranoid :)

Unless someone would step up and claim the work - I think there is even security risk associated with these new builds.
I am not sure how do you know it is John's drive , but I created this drive for fun :
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AK1UlXb0uxHxJno&id=E230F250AF45154A!1929&cid=E230F250AF45154A
It will show it is owned by John 9527, but it is not :)

Original builds have authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo
New builds have : authkey=!AKXdaMzjqVKbGsc

I am not 100% sure , but I think authkey should be unique per user.
One of John’s last posts was a link to his Dev drive.
[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V39E3)

I agree with skepticism. I won’t run these builds beyond testing since there is no GitHub push (John only pushes the source after an official release).

Originally, the intent of calling attention to these new builds was to assure the community that John is seemingly fine since he has been absent far longer than we hoped.

I personally never considered these later builds a possible security risk, but think I should have. Went back to 39E3 to play it safe. Another lesson learned from this forum!

Ok, so at least we know authkey=!AKXdaMzjqVKbGsc does belong to John.
That's good.
Sorry if I created confusion.

No confusion but you perhaps created unnecessary fear in the faint of heart. If you still use an RTN66 or some of the other older ASUS routers, the April 2019 build is the last "release" but the beta is out and current to December 2019. With a few additions, it works and looks just like Asus-WRT or Merlin. If you haven't upgraded for a long time, you might still be able to upgrade to it from the Asus-WRT gui, but otherwise you will need the rescue disk or get to the Mini-CFE web server (I forgot how...you would need to get around the lock out on upgrades that haven't been blessed by the great uncle).

One especially nice "feature" is that you can easily back out of these and go back to your prior firmware if for any reason they are not to your liking. The main caveat is that there may be some regulatory issues, especially if you use higher than permitted power levels. As to safety or authenticity, it has got to be better than being exposed to the anonymous little guy in his bedroom who gets his sick kicks out of hacking into routers and doing bad things to the networks behind them. The unintended consequence of over-regulation of the routers by the FCC is forcing users to junk older hardware or risk being hacked.

DD-WRT or WRT may be able to support some older routers but figuring out which version to use and such is over my pay grade...the web pages are tortuous at best. Do I recommend John's forks? For the regulatory issues mentioned before, I can't ever do that. I also do not indulge in the silly practice of using higher power levels...if it doesn't receive well, more transmission power is not going to help a bit. More power=more heat=shorter lifespan=more CO2 if that worries you.

John's does install easily and the look and feel are not easily distinguishable from the final Merlin release for this model but the feature set is more complete. Of course, your call, but the Dec. 2019 beta seems just fine.

Last edited:
No confusion but you perhaps created unnecessary fear in the faint of heart. If you still use an RTN66 or some of the other older ASUS routers, the April 2019 build is the last "release" but the beta is out and current to December 2019. With a few additions, it works and looks just like Asus-WRT or Merlin. If you haven't upgraded for a long time, you might still be able to upgrade to it from the Asus-WRT gui, but otherwise you will need the rescue disk or get to the Mini-CFE web server (I forgot how...you would need to get around the lock out on upgrades that haven't been blessed by the great uncle).

One especially nice "feature" is that you can easily back out of these and go back to your prior firmware if for any reason they are not to your liking. The main caveat is that there may be some regulatory issues, especially if you use higher than permitted power levels. As to safety or authenticity, it has got to be better than being exposed to the anonymous little guy in his bedroom who gets his sick kicks out of hacking into routers and doing bad things to the networks behind them. The unintended consequence of over-regulation of the routers by the FCC is forcing users to junk older hardware or risk being hacked.

DD-WRT or WRT may be able to support some older routers but figuring out which version to use and such is over my pay grade...the web pages are tortuous at best. Do I recommend John's forks? For the regulatory issues mentioned before, I can't ever do that. I also do not indulge in the silly practice of using higher power levels...if it doesn't receive well, more transmission power is not going to help a bit. More power=more heat=shorter lifespan=more CO2 if that worries you.

John's does install easily and the look and feel are not easily distinguishable for the final Merlin release for this model but the feature set is more complete. Of course, your call, but the Dec. 2019 beta seems just fine.

Why 38E4?

Why 38E4?
Why? The last (April '19) release of John's Fork for the '66. It was newer than the final Merlin update and there was a flurry of attacks at the time. You have other options with your AC1900. My other option is a new router...waste of $$$ on my slow satellite internet as long as the '66 works.

Why? The last (April '19) release of John's Fork for the '66. It was newer than the final Merlin update and there was a flurry of attacks at the time. You have other options with your AC1900. My other option is a new router...waste of $$$ on my slow satellite internet as long as the '66 works.
:confused: The last "official" release for the RT-N66U was 39E3 on 17th April. 38E4 is from 5th March.

Reactions: Gar
:confused: The last "official" release for the RT-N66U was 39E3 on 17th April. 38E4 is from 5th March.
I recall (dangerous at my age) either it wasn't out yet or I missed it. If I had seen 39E3 I probably would have used it. No good reason not to.

I personally never considered these later builds a possible security risk, but think I should have. Went back to 39E3 to play it safe. Another lesson learned from this forum!
As long as the updated versions in the Dev repository don't break something for you, the security updates they provide probably outweigh the very small risk that these updates are not coming from the original developer.

Last edited:
As long as the updated versions in the Dev repository don't break something for you, the security updates they provide probably out way the very small risk that these updates are not coming from the original developer.
The latest dev version worked just fine, I just got paranoid.

Several people in this thread continue to write stubbornly and persistently that these are John builds. This is not so, stop spreading nonsense. These are builds from his development channel. Who does this and why no one knows. I know about his situation. Stop writing every time about his situation. Almost a year has passed. How many more years will you mention this? Stop making John some kind holy martyr. We all lost loved ones. This is life. But if he wanted, he would have appeared on the forum. So he just doesn’t need all this. Enough of this stupid mysticism. Do you really think that if he continued to develop, he would not have written a post on the forum? If so, then you are naive or stupid.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!