What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus RT-AC68U Wi-Fi speed issue

Hello!

I am not sure if my issue should be placed here, but cause i am on last version of Fork now i will ask it:

Two weeks ago i bought Asus RT-AC68U router, i like this device, but i have an issue with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi that totally upset me.

The issue is Wi-Fi speed, i have Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter on my Laptop(placed in 1 meter from router w/o any obstacles), that provides me stable connection with a speed 72Mbit/sek on a 20Mhz channel width, but actual speed according to SpeedTest.net is 45-47Mbit download, and 42-45 Mbit upload.

The issue is that my old router TP-LINK TP-WR720N(that costs $15!) with absolutely same Wi-Fi configuration(cnannel e.c.t) placed in same place provides 50-52Mbit Upload and 52-55Mbit upload :(

Al these 2 weeks i have tried to reach same numbers at Asus, but still with no result :( So i have ~5Mbit download lost and ~10Mbit(!) upload lost at Asus :(

I even don't know if it is router or my laptop adapter issue, cause on my Nokia Lumia 625 download speed is a bit faster(50-52Mbit vs 48-50Mbit) on Asus according to mobile version of SpeedTest

Can you please advise(or follow me to correct place to ask about this) why can this happen and what can i do(if anything)?

If you need more information to give an advise - just ask me and i will post it here asap.

Thanks a lot in advance.

UPD. I have also created separate thread with my issue in "ASUS Wireless" section: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20065

Last edited:
Thanks for this fork update. :)
At the moment everything works fine.
Except that I think I have some problems with the latest intel AC7260 drivers.

I have buy the 68U a week ago and Merlin and Fork update are still fairly new to me.
Today i have updated the router from stock to Merlin 374.43_2 with Fork update 04.
In the first post i read something about jffs. Now is jffs new to me. Is it recommended to disable the jffs if I would not use it?

Wired everything runs smoothly and without problems.
Download Speed: 201.68Mbps
Upload Speed: 20.49Mbps
Latency: 6 ms
Jitter: 3 ms

But i have just some problems with the WIFI 5G download speed.
This varies considerably from between 36Mb to 202Mb

The router has a central place in the living room.
InSSIDer gives me the following values.
Intel AC7260 latest driver 17.1.x
Near the router:
2.4 (-34db) (channel 11 / 20Mhz) @ 100mW
5G (-40dB) (channel 108 / 80MHz) @ 200mW

1st floor
2.4 (-50dB) (channel 11 / 20Mhz) @ 100mW
5G (-64db) (channel 108 / 80MHz) @ 200mW

Are these reasonable values ​​or could it be better?

This becomes more visible if you flash manually using mtd-write (which I does about 80% of the time - it's faster that way to scp + flash test builds). The firmware gets written to the live filesystem used by the router. Sometimes, it doesn't have everything necessary cached to be able to do a graceful shutdown. When doing it over SSH, this will give you a "bus error", or a bunch of squashfs read errors. In these cases the router gets stuck trying to reboot, waiting for you to manually reboot it.

Not sure if this is related with my ENTWARE USB unable to be unmounted?

Not sure if this is related with my ENTWARE USB unable to be unmounted?

No. The issue I'm talking about is specifically for when you flash a new firmware, not with a normal reboot.

Thanks for this fork update. :)
At the moment everything works fine.
Except that I think I have some problems with the latest intel AC7260 drivers.

I have buy the 68U a week ago and Merlin and Fork update are still fairly new to me.
Today i have updated the router from stock to Merlin 374.43_2 with Fork update 04.
In the first post i read something about jffs. Now is jffs new to me. Is it recommended to disable the jffs if I would not use it?

Wired everything runs smoothly and without problems.
Download Speed: 201.68Mbps
Upload Speed: 20.49Mbps
Latency: 6 ms
Jitter: 3 ms

But i have just some problems with the WIFI 5G download speed.
This varies considerably from between 36Mb to 202Mb

The router has a central place in the living room.
InSSIDer gives me the following values.
Intel AC7260 latest driver 17.1.x
Near the router:
2.4 (-34db) (channel 11 / 20Mhz) @ 100mW
5G (-40dB) (channel 108 / 80MHz) @ 200mW

1st floor
2.4 (-50dB) (channel 11 / 20Mhz) @ 100mW
5G (-64db) (channel 108 / 80MHz) @ 200mW

Are these reasonable values ​​or could it be better?

Take your questions one at a time.....

(1) JFFS - jffs is a non-volatile storage that can be used to store things like custom configuration scripts. You have to enable it for it to be active. On the 68U if it's enabled, a mirror of the syslog is also kept there to aid in debugging. Some people don't like this (constant write to a flash memory) so in my fork I provided a way to disable this syslog copy. My advice to you, don't worry about it now. When you need to do customizations that the Merlin code allows, you'll need it.

(2) It looks like you are quoting internet speedtest results. Personally, my service doesn't come close to those numbers so I don't have first had experience. I do believe, however, that you should be able to get rates in the 100's of Mb/s on all the interfaces. First thing is to make sure HW acceleration is enabled (check the Tools page for status). If it show disabled, next check the LAN/Switch Control page and make sure NAT Acceleration is Enabled. Now some things can turn off the acceleration, like QOS and the firewall filters, so for testing make sure those are turned off.

(3) Your 5GHz connection noise numbers look in the right range to me, and are actually pretty close to what I see in my setup (maybe someone else can comment).

(4) For the first round of testing I'd recommend testing just local to your LAN. I use NetIO from this link
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...ee-more-ways-to-measure-network-speed?start=1
Using that on my LAN (measuring an AC7260) I get about 120Mb/s upload, and 250 Mb/s download. Now, I've never had a lot of luck with the 17.x drivers from Intel. I'm on 16.10 on Windows 7. For me the 17.x drivers have always had a lot of packet loss and suspend/resume problems.

Hope this helps out a least a little. Post again if you have more questions.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I was looking at.....and if it was possible to add to the gui

Don't put stuff inside the GUI if it can be done with the jffs scripts.
Keep the fork clean and close to RMerlin. :)

Just updated to -04, thx John.

Take your questions one at a time.....

(1) JFFS - jffs is a non-volatile storage that can be used to store things like custom configuration scripts. You have to enable it for it to be active. On the 68U if it's enabled, a mirror of the syslog is also kept there to aid in debugging. Some people don't like this (constant write to a flash memory) so in my fork I provided a way to disable this syslog copy. My advice to you, don't worry about it now. When you need to do customizations that the Merlin code allows, you'll need it.

(2) It looks like you are quoting internet speedtest results. Personally, my service doesn't come close to those numbers so I don't have first had experience. I do believe, however, that you should be able to get rates in the 100's of Mb/s on all the interfaces. First thing is to make sure HW acceleration is enabled (check the Tools page for status). If it show disabled, next check the LAN/Switch Control page and make sure NAT Acceleration is Enabled. Now some things can turn off the acceleration, like QOS and the firewall filters, so for testing make sure those are turned off.

(3) Your 5GHz connection noise numbers look in the right range to me, and are actually pretty close to what I see in my setup (maybe someone else can comment).

(4) For the first round of testing I'd recommend testing just local to your LAN. I use NetIO from this link
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...ee-more-ways-to-measure-network-speed?start=1
Using that on my LAN (measuring an AC7260) I get about 120Mb/s upload, and 250 Mb/s download. Now, I've never had a lot of luck with the 17.x drivers from Intel. I'm on 16.10 on Windows 7. For me the 17.x drivers have always had a lot of packet loss and suspend/resume problems.

Hope this helps out a least a little. Post again if you have more questions.

John my apologize for the multiple questions.
I appreciate that you have answered my questions.
Everything is me become a lot clearer.
A test with a other laptop give me no WIFI problems.
Tommorow i want to try the older 7260 drivers.
I still have a lot to read ;)

Thanks very much for info. I don't have any problems with the 2.4ghz in majority of Merlin's build, but I do with the 5ghz band as I would have to reboot my router every couple days then my 5ghz clients can access the internet again, but wired and 2.4ghz bands are fine.
I am having a same problem. Did you manage to solve it?

john9527, can you please check my issue on previous page, hopefully you can advise. Thanks a lot in advance.

I just downloaded the latest SDK5 version of Merlin. Latest Fork version is giving a lot of problems on 2.4GHz with iPhone 5s (iOS 8.0.2) It's very very slow

I just downloaded the latest SDK5 version of Merlin. Latest Fork version is giving a lot of problems on 2.4GHz with iPhone 5s (iOS 8.0.2) It's very very slow

Strange, I've had the same thing happen today, after an uptime of 5 days with no issues.
I've had to reboot the router, and then change channels. The speed is now back; however, the initial speed I was getting was very slow on the 2.4 Ghz (much slower than what I've experienced due to just being on an overcrowded channel). This was on an iPhone, as well as my laptop on 2.4Ghz.

Strange, I've had the same thing happen today, after an uptime of 5 days with no issues.
I've had to reboot the router, and then change channels. The speed is now back; however, the initial speed I was getting was very slow on the 2.4 Ghz (much slower than what I've experienced due to just being on an overcrowded channel). This was on an iPhone, as well as my laptop on 2.4Ghz.

This could be interesting.....one of the fixes I included in Update-04 was an old update for MIPS routers that fixed Apple Bonjour (mDNSResponder-fix was from June). Are both of you with problems running MIPS based routers (AC66U, N66U or N16)?

This could be interesting.....one of the fixes I included in Update-04 was an old update for MIPS routers that fixed Apple Bonjour (mDNSResponder-fix was from June). Are both of you with problems running MIPS based routers (AC66U, N66U or N16)?

N66 here. I've seen the issue on my iPhone 5s, in addition to an HP laptop.
Wired connection was full speed.

N66 here. I've seen the issue on my iPhone 5s, in addition to an HP laptop.
Wired connection was full speed.

I might be possible that Bonjour traffic could be dragging down the interface with the iPhone affecting the laptop as well. I'm going to do a build reverting that fix...if you are willing to try it send me a PM.

I think I've seen this posted before but couldn't find it. My modem was rebooted twice recently (firmware updates and my tinkering). Both times, the router connected back to the modem but gave me the login box for EVERY web page that I tried to visit. I had to reboot the router to get rid of it. I tried several browsers and had the same results (required login box) to go anywhere on the Internet.

I didn't think to pull the router logs before the reboot...sorry.

Thanks in advance.

I think I've seen this posted before but couldn't find it. My modem was rebooted twice recently (firmware updates and my tinkering). Both times, the router connected back to the modem but gave me the login box for EVERY web page that I tried to visit. I had to reboot the router to get rid of it. I tried several browsers and had the same results (required login box) to go anywhere on the Internet.

I didn't think to pull the router logs before the reboot...sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Asking to login to the router? or to the web page you are visiting?

I don't think I've seen or heard that one, the common one is the 'router address has changed' page redirect when trying to get to the router gui. That one is usually caused by something changing such that the browser cache is no longer valid, and is fixed by clear the browser cache.

Asking to login to the router? or to the web page you are visiting?

I don't think I've seen or heard that one, the common one is the 'router address has changed' page redirect when trying to get to the router gui. That one is usually caused by something changing such that the browser cache is no longer valid, and is fixed by clear the browser cache.

Every Internet page that I try to visit (Yahoo for example) pops up the 'router' login page and asked me for the router login and password. If I type that in, I can go to the page. I have cleared cache of all of my browsers and still no luck. Only way to get rid of it is to reboot the router. I'm running the 3rd generation fork from this thread (haven't updated to the latest). Going to the router setup page is no issue (still have to login). I tried to login and logout and still asks for router login / password on every Internet page.

If I hit cancel or enter the wrong router password, it sends me to the Unauthorized Access Page. :(

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!