What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I use this Fork on both my N66U and AC68U and in my opinion it's the most stable firmware i have ever used and have no intentions on using any of the newer 376.xx firmwares.. :)

+1 agree with the above statement. I wasn't happy with 376.xx either. :D

Thanks for the update on the solution....I'm sure it may benefit others in the future.

You're welcome. With that said, shouldn't the redirect on error have turned off once the WAN came back up?

You're welcome. With that said, shouldn't the redirect on error have turned off once the WAN came back up?

I was actually thinking about that myself (or if presenting a login dialogue vs an error page was the right action...there actually is a specific error page with that option enabled). Any chance you ran into the same problem as in the other post and had a hidden login window?

I was actually thinking about that myself (or if presenting a login dialogue vs an error page was the right action...there actually is a specific error page with that option enabled). Any chance you ran into the same problem as in the other post and had a hidden login window?

No. I closed all browsers. I replicated the error right after I saw that post by rebooting my modem and closing all browsers before the reboot actually took place. I then went to Yahoo and of course, was greeted by the login page.

I proceeded to login and then went to the router interface to look at the logs before rebooting. I noticed the "Redirect" lines (bolded) and started looking around until I found that option and turned it off. After turning off, was able to go anywhere I wanted on the web without a router login.

Speed improvement over 376

The 376.x builds on my N66 have always given me noticeable wireless coverage reach problems on the 2.4 band. Areas of my house I could connect to on 3.74 releases were not reachable using that band. Went back to this forked release and the 2.4 coverage issues have gone away. Thanks!

The 376.x builds on my N66 have always given me noticeable wireless coverage reach problems on the 2.4 band. Areas of my house I could connect to on 3.74 releases were not reachable using that band. Went back to this forked release and the 2.4 coverage issues have gone away. Thanks!

Glad to hear it helped you out.

Now, could you (or another N66 user running the fork without having applied the '#a' nvram commands) run the following via ssh/telnet and tell me what it says....

Code:
wl -i eth1 country
wl -i eth2 country
wl txpwr
wl txpwr1

Would this fork or RMerlins build be the most stable in question of basic stability? I don't use any advanced routing functions, and would just like to have the best stability.

Here's the commands you asked for!

Attachments

• cmdline.jpg
    cmdline.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 358
John can you tell us what those results actually mean. Also what is the #a command and what does it do for the N66U ?

I'll try my best....

When the wireless hardware is initialized, it loads country and regulatory domain information that defines what the allowed maximum power level and available channels are for where the router is located. These are supposed to be based on the gov't regulations for that area. The stock firmware uses country codes US and EU and a couple of different domain values based on the router (there's one exception for a single release of the AC66). The domain is a number from 0-??. Hence the US/2 for example (country US, domain 2) in the output that was posted.

There is also a '#a' country code that is defined in the firmware. My belief is that this a test mode country code that was accidently left active. What #a does is set the allowed power level to it's maximum (316mW, when you add the antenna gain, the max transmitted power is 1W), and makes available for use all the channels that have been defined for a particular band worldwide. Note that unlocking all the channels really doesn't do anything unless your clients can also support them (they have their own country/regulations loaded as well). There have been posts on how enable the #a country on the router by entering a series of nvram set commands.

So, #a allows you to increase the power. The other reason a lot of people in the EU want to use #a is that the EU domain in a lot of cases doesn't match the channels that are authorized for a particular EU country (it's really a hodpodge of regulation, and the EU country code is basically the lowest common denominator).

Now, with those commands I was looking to verify what I have seen in the code in preparation for the next release. I was hoping that the 'wl txpwr' commands behaved differently on the N66 vs the AC arm-based routers and would tell me the actual power level (what it is telling you is the design spec max - not what is actually implemented in the router hw). The arm routers have a command for this 'wl txpwr_target_max', but it's not implemented on the non-arm designs.

Having looked at the code, this is how I believe things are implemented today in the fork without any nvram mods....

For all routers OTHER THAN the N66, the power value entered in the gui will let you decrease power levels, but not increase them (the regulatory domains override the power value and it looks like the default value is at least the regulatory max)....you can set it higher, but it doesn't matter.

The N66U is a special case, and is partially unlocked. For example, the fork code changes the default US codes from US/39, Q2/2 to US/2, Q2/0 which based on what I can see on the arm routers should increase the available power (make the entered power value really work without any nvram mods). Unfortunately, I can't absolutely verify this because of the disabled command I mentioned before. I don't believe there is any change in the available channels though. This is the old 'Engineering Mode' (EM builds) option which never got removed on the N66.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed information. So for the N66 in your fork build is there a way to set the power to max output or is this something that can only be done with the Arm routers ? Sorry as you can see I have a ways to go understanding these NVRAM commands.

Hello from the UK. I'm Pete, was sent here from a forum in the UK told this is the FW I should have.

My router is a Asus RT-N66U and the wifi sucks. Have tried the latest stock and Merlin offerings. No gain. Done the normal to check wifi settings around and set to be clear.

So flashing to this is easy by the looks, normal process to flash FW, reboot, reset to defaults, reboot then configure manually

How do I get the wifi to run at it's max, little confused as seen different comments.

I also saw a request for some data out the unit. I'm happy to supply this if I or it can bee of use but please tell me how. A little new to playing this indepth but not afraid

Thanks for the detailed information. So for the N66 in your fork build is there a way to set the power to max output or is this something that can only be done with the Arm routers ? Sorry as you can see I have a ways to go understanding these NVRAM commands.

I wish I could be more specific/certain....what the country and domain codes actually set is buried in the closed source driver. My best guess is with the N66 on the fork....you should just be able enter 200 in the gui, no special commands and get up to the 200mW max that is shown in the gui.

Last edited:
I wish I could be more specific/certain....what the country and domain codes actually set is buried in the closed source driver. My best guess is with the N66 on the fork....you should just be able to slide the slider to the right, no special commands and get up to the 200mW max that is shown in the gui.

I believe you meant to say change the value to 200 mw not the slider that was introduced in the 376 builds. I thought there may have been some telnet commands for the n66 like there is for the 68u but I guess 200mw will be the max for the n66. Thanks John.

I believe you meant to say change the value to 200 mw not the slider that was introduced in the 376 builds. I thought there may have been some telnet commands for the n66 like there is for the 68u but I guess 200mw will be the max for the n66. Thanks John.

Duh.....brain check....yes, I mean the enter 200 for the value in the 374 code loads.....for the 376 code loads....moving the slider to 100% sets the power to what is in the regulatory domain. Editing original post to avoid confusion.

Well, there are telnet '#a' commands for the N66 as well to unlock channels/power levels. If you need the channels (primarily EU) or need to be assured that you're getting every possible mW, you could definitely use them. My belief is that if you are running the fork, and already increased the power value, you won't see that much of a change with respect to power in the real world by applying the #a commands since the fork is already giving you a bump.

I am currently running the last sdk5 Merlin firmware on an Asus RT-N66U.

As far as I understand, this fork is based on a newer Merlin firmware, which uses sdk6, which is supposed to have less coverage.

Can someone give an estimation about how many dBs I could lose?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, there are telnet '#a' commands for the N66 as well to unlock channels/power levels. If you need the channels (primarily EU) or need to be assured that you're getting every possible mW, you could definitely use them. My belief is that if you are running the fork, and already increased the power value, you won't see that much of a change with respect to power in the real world by applying the #a commands since the fork is already giving you a bump.

I was just wanting to get my N66 back to SDK5 signal output with out having to use an old out dated firmware. Do you know the telnet #a commands to use for the N66 ?

Glad to hear it helped you out.

Now, could you (or another N66 user running the fork without having applied the '#a' nvram commands) run the following via ssh/telnet and tell me what it says....

Code:
wl -i eth1 country
wl -i eth2 country
wl txpwr
wl txpwr1

For a RT-N66U in Repeater Mode:
US (US/2) UNITED STATES
Q2 (Q2/0) <unknown>
31.75 dBm = 1496 mw.
TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW Override is Off

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!