What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Totally wowed by this fw.
Never knew my N66U has such high wan to lan throughput.
Its always been 880 to 900Mbps.

After this upgrade from stock to John Fork's, I'm constantly getting 910 - >920Mbps of download speed.

dtZdeeV.jpg

Appreciate the hard work done. Thanks

This is the kind of results i look for at the end of the day.

My buddy, who is a heavy gamer has a N66U router. After flashing with V7 firmware, he has had 0/Zero issues with; Wii, DSM, PS Vita, PS4 and Xbox 1.

Before that, i had him running OEM firmware, which worked fine most of the time. But, required a manual reboot ones every two weeks. Even a laptop or cell phones would get sluggish over time when surfing web.

He also uses TeamSpeak, to remotely access files from his Laptop on to his cell phone, but he never had issues in that department.

Main issues that he did have in the past, is at times he couldnt hear his friends in team chat on PS4 or XB1 during gaming. Rebooting the router at times solved the issues instantly.

After two weeks with V7 firmware, everything has been working flawlessly.

Last edited:
I have been using the fork since the beginning without problems. However last week I updated to V7 and it is working fine until I noticed that sometimes I cannot access the Web or anything except the router page. The wan is still up but every time I try to visit a website, the browser redirects me to the router page. It happens on all the connected devices. I have to restart the firewall on the router or to restart it to fix the problem.

I have been using the fork since the beginning without problems. However last week I updated to V7 and it is working fine until I noticed that sometimes I cannot access the Web or anything except the router page. The wan is still up but every time I try to visit a website, the browser redirects me to the router page. It happens on all the connected devices. I have to restart the firewall on the router or to restart it to fix the problem.

Did you do a complete factory reset and nvram clear and reconfigure your settings ?

Yes I did a factory reset. The problem is happening randomly after the router is powered up. (i live in a country that has 2 to 3 power cuts per day !)

You don't say where you are located, but winter weather can sometimes play havoc with your ISP connection signal levels and you may be having an intermittent problem there.

First, go to the main WAN page on the router, and make sure 'Redirect to error page' is set to Never. This way you'll see any error messages direct from the browser without being intercepted by the router.

Also, check the syslog for error msgs related to the WAN or WAN Ethernet connection.

The wan is not disconnected since I still have an ip from the ISP and the router says that I am connected too. When I say I am redirected, I mean I am redirected to the the normal router page with the settings and everything (even I have to enter the user name and password).
It is not the error page that appears if you don't have a connection.
Also, the syslog is showing nothing. Everything appears normal there. However I suspect it is something related with the firewall on the router that is blocking and redirecting everything to the router since like I said if I go to the firewall settings and hit apply (without modifying anything), the firewall restarts and everything is back to normal.
Like I said very weird and very random.

You have probably done this but have you tried a different browser and or deleted all cookies and temp files ?

RT-AC68U

Thank You John!

My goal is to have my 68U operate on 2 channels at 5GHz AC.
After changing to #a country code I can operate at 867MBPs on channel 48-42. But it won't operate on channel 149 at any speed, the only other legal US AC channel.

I first bought a R7000 Netgear and had a similar lack of AC performance, even after working with Netgear customer support. I bought Asus 68U and switched to Merlin, changed NVRAM settings and got channel 48 to operate at AC level. Based on my Netgear experience I assumed the one AC channel operation is not a hardware issue. I find the router wont operate on channel 149 at 20MHz bandwidth. This explains why I can't operate at 40 or 80MHz bandwidth over the required channels. US allows channel 149 to operate at 20MHz. Baring hardware malfunction this implies Asus/Netgear have mis-designed their firmware.

I've tried the original firmware as delivered. Also
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2 and
The latest ASUS firmware and
RT-AC_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-07j9527
Also tried reset, complete reset, reboot, reinstall with all firmware and a few other country codes. Blah, blah, blah.

If I program channel 149, 80MHz, Auto or N only (or similar with other firmware) the router says it's operating as asked. However other wireless clients or Insidder say no router 5G signal is functioning. It's curious that I don't see most other users complaining about this issue.

Here are my NVRAM settings.

nvram set 0:ccode=#a
nvram set 1:ccode=#a
nvram set 0:regrev=0
nvram set 1:regrev=0
nvram set wl_country_code=#a
nvram set wl_country_rev=0
nvram set wl_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

These result in many channels, so I know they are functioning. Also the get command shows they are permanently stored and they improve my channel 48 speed.

Can anyone help? Is one AC 80MHz channel the best this router can do?

Thanks,
Ray

@rt392 - I just tried setting channel 149 and I get AC mode at 80MHz......but I don't run the '#a' mod.

One thing you may try....some clients won't work with the upper channels without 802.11h being set. Under Wireless/Professional, try setting the Regulation mode to 80211d+h (that's what I have set).

Other than that, it may be a side effect of '#a'

Last edited:
The wan is not disconnected since I still have an ip from the ISP and the router says that I am connected too. When I say I am redirected, I mean I am redirected to the the normal router page with the settings and everything (even I have to enter the user name and password).
It is not the error page that appears if you don't have a connection.
Also, the syslog is showing nothing. Everything appears normal there. However I suspect it is something related with the firewall on the router that is blocking and redirecting everything to the router since like I said if I go to the firewall settings and hit apply (without modifying anything), the firewall restarts and everything is back to normal.
Like I said very weird and very random.

I thought I remembered something similar and went back in the thread and found it. Back in Oct last year (starting at post #446) two people reported the same problem.

In one case, they actually had a hidden logon window that the browser was giving focus for every web page they tried to access...simple fix, close the logon window.

In the second case, it was precipitated by a modem reboot. (In this case it was a forced reboot, but modem reboots can also be caused by marginal signal levels.) There was a strange interaction with the Redirect to error page setting, and when he set that to never, the problem went away.

I still think you are having some upstream problem that is the trigger. Can you access your modem logs and look for reboots or sync timeouts?

I thought I remembered something similar and went back in the thread and found it. Back in Oct last year (starting at post #446) two people reported the same problem.

In one case, they actually had a hidden logon window that the browser was giving focus for every web page they tried to access...simple fix, close the logon window.

In the second case, it was precipitated by a modem reboot. (In this case it was a forced reboot, but modem reboots can also be caused by marginal signal levels.) There was a strange interaction with the Redirect to error page setting, and when he set that to never, the problem went away.

I still think you are having some upstream problem that is the trigger. Can you access your modem logs and look for reboots or sync timeouts?

Hi
I will set the redirect option to never and monitor it. If the issue happens again I will try to pull out the modem logs too.
Like I said it usually happens randomly after a power cut, so both the modem and the router have forced restarted at the same time.
I am out of the house for a few days , when I come back
I will test it again.
@Kel-L yes I used different browsers on different devices :)

Hi
I will set the redirect option to never and monitor it. If the issue happens again I will try to pull out the modem logs too.
Like I said it usually happens randomly after a power cut, so both the modem and the router have forced restarted at the same time.
I am out of the house for a few days , when I come back
I will test it again.
@Kel-L yes I used different browsers on different devices :)

Duh....I missed the part about it happening after a power outage. Depending on the speed of the modem (ISP) and router coming up at the same time, there can be a sync problem. I personally haven't been able to recreate it, but have still implemented the script in this post as a safeguard.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=164550&postcount=28

Duh....I missed the part about it happening after a power outage. Depending on the speed of the modem (ISP) and router coming up at the same time, there can be a sync problem. I personally haven't been able to recreate it, but have still implemented the script in this post as a safeguard.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=164550&postcount=28
Thanks I will try that and see.
However, the router is getting an ip from the modem and the ISP and I can see them both in the gui, but the router is not getting me pass through.
It will be a good idea to try to ping a destination from my pc if the problem reappears to see if all traffic is redirected or only http requests.

@rt392 - I just tried setting channel 149 and I get AC mode at 80MHz......but I don't run the '#a' mod.

One thing you may try....some clients won't work with the upper channels without 802.11h being set. Under Wireless/Professional, try setting the Regulation mode to 80211d+h (that's what I have set).
===============================================
Other than that, it may be a side effect of '#a'

My router would not operate on channel 149 as delivered from Amazon or with any other firmware/settings. The '#a' change was a recent attempt at a fix. '#a' did get the router to send at AC rates on channel 48.

I'll try 802.11d+h and the 802.11h settings. Thanks for trying channel 149.

Perhaps there is something transmitting (noise) in channel 149 and stopping the router from using that channel. This would explain why the Netgear R7000 I tried also not operate on channel 149. I will also explore this avenue.

To me the firmware rev changes seem to be down-playing the AC speeds or lack of. I understand the FCC restrictions. These restrictions leave channels 48+ and 149+ the free AC 80MHz choices.

Ray

FANTASTIC FIRMWARE

LATEST RELEASE: Update-07

John. This is the best firmware i experienced since im using the RT-N66u. No more ipv6 issues and most of all amazing good 5ghz and 2.4 ghz stability and range (coming from merlin 374.42). Overall just fast, stable and secure. PERFECT.

Thank you so much. This firmware makes my life easier so please let me know who to donate a beer for you!

Last edited:
In Merlin_Fork_Options.txt I found this
Code:
Stop copy of syslog files to JFFS
What exactly this will do for me? Why is that is important?
I remember I read that continuous writing to routers Flash memory can harm the Flash. If I am right this option will prevent this and save my routers Flash?

In Merlin_Fork_Options.txt I found this
Code:
Stop copy of syslog files to JFFS
What exactly this will do for me? Why is that is important?
I remember I read that continuous writing to routers Flash memory can harm the Flash. If I am right this option will prevent this and save my routers Flash?

You've got it. Although the flash that ASUS uses is spec'ed for a high number of write cycles and they say it shouldn't be a problem, some people were still concerned and wanted to minimize the number of flash writes.

What you lose by doing this is having a copy of the syslog maintained for troubleshooting should you experience a router hang or spontaneous reboot (the syslog will be cleared on the reboot). In that case, you would need to re-enable the jffs syslog to catch the data on the next occurrence.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!