What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there any code that changes regarding script permissions along with the enable user scripts option? Something that had to do with scripts run from off the router maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any code that changes regarding script permissions along with the enable user scripts option? Something that had to do with scripts run from off the router maybe.
No....that change only involved checking an nvram variable prior to running the script...nothing with permissions. The permissions for the user scripts are entirely set by the user.

Just had a thought ....the timing of the execution of the post-mount script can sometime be a bit funny. Could you be trying to mount --bind before 'myusb' is actually mounted? You may need to add a delay or add a loop checking that the resource is actually there. This has been a common problem with Entware setups.

Last edited:
first of all, thank you john so much for the hard work. I've been using this fork ever since i converted my Tmobile to retail unit. its been really good: stable, fast, and good range. however, when i updated today, i can no longer access the GUI via 192.168.1.1

i downloaded the file, checked to match the sha256 and upgraded fine. however, when i tried to do a NVRAM reset via WPS method, it said "ports and ip has been changed. reconnect via wireless and try again." i held WPS for 30secs, powered off, held for another 30secs. Then let go, and repress the WPS for 30 more secs, plugged power in and continued to hold WPS for 30 more secs.

I get an address via LAN and WLAN connecting to default ASUS SSID, but i still can't access the GUI. The only thing I ever change when i flash or what not is setting up the WIFI and thats it...

Please help.

If your tried to clear your nvram with this method , its not the good one.....

Power off your router then Hold WPS while powering on, keep WPS press until leds in front begins to flash rapidly(10-15 sec approx), then release WPS and let your router reboot (2-3 min approx).
Im always rebooting my computer after this process

Thank you for the super prompt response!

Why is the method Ive been doing "not the good one?" Also, does this statement apply to all ASUS routers or just this particular model? Ive used the method (found on DDWRT ) on the RT10NP and I had mixed results. Anyway, I actually did the method you described as I searched how to reset this particular model and found an old post by John. Still no dice and when I tried to ping and telnet the router, it gave me a "connection refused." I was actually able to use TightVNC and still get into my headless Raspberry Pi.

edit: FIXED!! So i got frustrated and started threatening the router. I was using a MacBook Pro and downloaded all the files to do a restore: V13, V14 firmware, and Windows restore util. After installing the software on to my Windows 7 machine and putting the router in restore mode via reset button, I forgot to set up a static IP and powered off the router. I plugged it and just figured, what the hey! and suddenly, i was able to get into the router via the 192.168.1.1! I dont know what I did or what caused it to revive, but now its working properly. Weird thing is, I powered off the router and laptop and everything. It was seemed like it was functioning and when I checked the IP addresses everything seemed fine, was able to even access other equipment, just wouldnt let me into the HTTP GUI.

@endlesszeal

First, @Sanna1967 is correct....the 30-30-30 reset has no meaning on the Asus routers.

That being said, I was able to recreate it once with a normal WPS reset. You should be able to be get back in just by power cycling the router.

^^ thanks john. maybe the time it took me to setup all the stuff from my osx to windows allowed enough time to power cycle the router.

a question i do have is, are there any suggestions to improve streaming? I considered doing QoS rules but got intimated by the interface and wasnt sure how to use it.

I mostly stream from Netflix, RPi NAS and Kodi addons. I noticed in the past couple of days, even my local media has been stuttering. Every 5minutes or so, it seems its like buffering or trying to catch up, but the file im watching is a 480P MKV container which isnt too demanding. It was doing 1080P without problems for the a couple of weeks. The RPi is attached via Ethernet and the client device is 2 ft away from the router via Wireless AC.

Sorry for the problem, I'm going to do some more investigation tonight to see if I can't understand why factory reset didn't come up clean.

The RPi is attached via Ethernet and the client device is 2 ft away from the router via Wireless AC.
As far as your other problem.....

- try setting the regulation mode to d+h if not already set that way
- try changing the state of the beamforming options
- lastly, try reducing the transmit power. Early on had a user with the same issue (and a similar setup with proximity of the router) that was solved that way. In theory, it should negotiate the lowest power for the cleanest signal, but......

thank you john. here is a list of things i did:

-set regulation mode to d
-disabled explicit beam forming, enable universal beam forming
-txpower down to 70mw from 80mw.

i read that regulation mode sometimes is required, depending on the country (im in the US) and for beam forming:
http://routerguide.net/enable-beamforming-on-or-off/

just trying to confirm i understand the terminology and what that is i am changing. i always like to learn new things.

thanks again for all the help!

ill report back in a few days to see how the changes impacted my network.

ohyeah my network topology: apartment about 1000sqft

TimeWarner -> motorola surboard 6121 ->asus router -> clients

clients: next to router = windows 7 w/ASUS WiFi GO AC and amazon fire stick.
bedrooms = windows 7 w/TPLink N adapter and amazon fire stick
portables = 2 x Galaxy S3, iPad 2 and iPad Air 1, MacBook Pro 13" 2009

Hello john, with 14j9527 on N66U, I get
2015-09-10_08-39-46.png

"HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with:"
I think the HW acceleration is incompatible with QOS, and I never use QOS at all.

Haven't updated yet, What is the correct value for "TCP Timeout: Established" 2400? (AC68U)

Thanks!

Sorry for the noob question but:
I need explanations plz on this before upgrading from V13

!!(Updated default TCP established connection timeout from 5 days to 40 mins for ARM routers)!!

Whats happens after 40 mins? :rolleyes: Exemple : If im dowloading a bunch of torrents, im gonna loose the trackers?
Im lost in space on this one :) and i googled it and i didnt found nothing

Thanx
My understanding....this is how long the router keeps tracking active connections after the last packet is transferred. The timer gets reset as long as the connection is actually transferring data. If it closes, it will just be re-established on the next access. Somebody jump in and correct me if I'm mistaken.

thank you john. here is a list of things i did:

-set regulation mode to d
-disabled explicit beam forming, enable universal beam forming
-txpower down to 70mw from 80mw.

What we are trying to see if is the close proximity of router to client is actually causing the problem. Thinking about it, I actually remembered a couple of cases where it seems like 'too much power' was causing wireless errors.

802.11d I believe is the basic power negotiation protocol (although it's going away). I'm in the US as well, but have actually had the best results with d+h streaming live TV from an HDHomeRun Prime (about 20ft distance, 10-15Mbps with the standard power setting).

Hello john, with 14j9527 on N66U, I get
View attachment 4471
"HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with:"
I think the HW acceleration is incompatible with QOS, and I never use QOS at all.

That usually means you disabled a feature that was incompatible, but haven't rebooted the router since, so HW acceleration is still disabled, but the router doesn't know why it was originally disabled.

Ugh. Have not figured out this plink thing. John, could you try running a script from windows cmd line using plink? I would like to see if you get the same errors.

plink -ssh your.router.ip -P yoursshport -l yourusername -pw yourpassword /jffs/scripts/myip

This easy myip script for example does not work. Funny thing is the echo command works but not the busybox commands. Maybe the commands are not being passed to the router os?

#!/bin/sh

logger -t $(basename $0) "STARTING SCRIPT, PARAMETER: $1"
echo "infinite loops CTRL+C to stop"
while true
do
curl icanhazip.com
/bin/sleep 10s
done

This is what I get when I try to run the above script with plink, same with any other script the commands are not found-
infinite loops CTRL+C to stop
/jffs/scripts/myip: line 9: curl: not found
/jffs/scripts/myip: line 9: curl: not found

I hope I am making some rookie mistake here and had it working on the last version by some stroke of luck. Scripts are working fine when connected to the router via ssh.
More info- an interactive plink login will run the scripts. Upon interactive plink login the directory is /tmp/home/root.

Last edited by a moderator:
After updating to John's firmware, my TV has been acting weird recently: distorted signal or even lost signal. I tried changing to different wireless channels but it didn't help. Never experience that problem with Merlin's or stock firmwares. My RT-N66U is about 3 ft from the TV and the internet-cable TV splitter

Any suggestion? Thank you!

@RMerlin, finally I find out that when I disable Tunnel 6in4, HW acceleration back enabled
That must be a restriction for MIPS routers.....I run a 6in4 HE Tunnel on my AC68R and HW acceleration is enabled. Any other 66U users with a 6in4 tunnel that can check their status?

The code checks for the following as reasons HW acceleration may be disabled
- QOS
- IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)
- router in Repeater mode
- connected via USB modem

the message should actually contain the string <unknown> if HW accel is off and none of the above apply, but there was an ASUS html bug there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!