What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That now looks correct for enabling QoS. I'm trying, but I can't come up with how having the QoS rules properly enabled would totally block IPv6.

Do you have any custom firewall-start or nat-start scripts? Are you using the VPN Client?

That now looks correct for enabling QoS. I'm trying, but I can't come up with how having the QoS rules properly enabled would totally block IPv6.

Do you have any custom firewall-start or nat-start scripts? Are you using the VPN Client?

No scripts...have a VPN server but no client

A thought....you are applying valid ipv6 QOS rules after a set of invalid ipv6 QOS rules were applied during the last reboot.

Last edited:
Is this SDK5 still? I heard SDK 6 Wifi range is worse

Also QoS on this doesn't seem to work for my iPhone but it does for my wired desktop

Which router model? Applies only for N66U all later models have the same (regulatory restrictions) wireless parameters! :rolleyes:

Also QoS on this doesn't seem to work for my iPhone but it does for my wired desktop

It's SDK6, but there are some customizations applied for the N66.

I can't think of a reason that Q0S would work differently between wired and wireless. The standard QoS is protocol based and doesn't differentiate between wired and wireless packets.

Hi first post here:)

I have both an RT-N66U and AC66 I would like to use this fork on.
What version is the most stable/best performing firmware version for these 2 routers?

And thanks for the great work John you have put into this.

Last edited:
Hi first post here:)

I have both an RT-N66U and AC66 I would like to use this fork on.
What version is the most stable/best performing firmware version for these 2 routers?

And thanks for the great work John you have put into this.

Usually, that would be the current (stable) one. Soon (early 2016) an update will follow.

I probably won't be putting out a formal release until after the New Year, but in case anyone wants to try out the latest I've uploaded a Beta release. (It's what I'm currently running :))
Note it's a different download location from the stable release location.

BETA RELEASE: Update-16B5
11-December-2015
Merlin fork 374.43_2-16B5j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1sDtB1V

John i'm pc froze few times while doing some heavy browsing. It could be unrelated but i checked the log and i see kernel error. Any thoughts?

Dec 16 18:11:12 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Dec 16 18:44:50 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range

John i'm pc froze few times while doing some heavy browsing. It could be unrelated but i checked the log and i see kernel error. Any thoughts?

Dec 16 18:11:12 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Dec 16 18:44:50 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range

Never saw that one before....so turned to google :) Not many hits (one on a Cisco bridge, one on a Linksys E3000 running Toastman Tomato, a couple on N55U, and a couple on N66U).It's related to the conntrack filter. In each case everything recovered on it's own or had no effect.

One N66U user had one show up when he enabled the Network Services Filter.

No definitive answers in any of the cases. My guess, the router is running near the edge and momentarily just couldn't keep up

A little tease for any Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN users. PIA released the 'secret sauce' that their client uses to set various options when negotiating the server connection......and with a bit of porting......
Code:
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1570', remote='link-mtu 1542'
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: WARNING: 'cipher' is used inconsistently, local='cipher AES-256-CBC', remote='cipher BF-CBC'
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: WARNING: 'auth' is used inconsistently, local='auth SHA256', remote='auth SHA1'
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 256', remote='keysize 128'
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: Data Channel Encrypt: Using 256 bit message hash 'SHA256' for HMAC authentication
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-CBC' initialized with 256 bit key
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: Data Channel Decrypt: Using 256 bit message hash 'SHA256' for HMAC authentication
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1/SSLv3 DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 2048 bit RSA
Dec 16 23:55:49 openvpn[3743]: [Private Internet Access] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1194

The WARNING messages are the defaults which are then overridden by the router VPN client.

All users here seems advanced and I just want to know how to install this Firmware on my ASUS N16 that has already a DD-wrt version that lately is doing hard resets every week.
I went to the OneDrive Update-15E5 but there are many files. I found a link that sais that I need to rename .trx to .bin and do the Firmware update using web interface, but there are like 5 trx and also sounds risky.
I hope your answer take no time to explain what should I do.

THank you in advance.

-
Never saw that one before....so turned to google :) Not many hits (one on a Cisco bridge, one on a Linksys E3000 running Toastman Tomato, a couple on N55U, and a couple on N66U).It's related to the conntrack filter. In each case everything recovered on it's own or had no effect.

One N66U user had one show up when he enabled the Network Services Filter.

No definitive answers in any of the cases. My guess, the router is running near the edge and momentarily just couldn't keep up

Ok thanks John. I have rebooted the router just in case and cleared the log.

I'm currently on Merlin's 374.43_2 because this is the only version I can get my USB 4G modem (Huawei dongle) too work properly. However, the only I can get it to work is with Dual WAN mode turned on (doesn't matter which is the primary one, both work, I just need to have this mode turned on - I know have the USB modem as primary because I really don't have any secondary WAN connection).

I was wondering if this fork fixes that?

Anyway, I'm assuming this fork is that same version and just fixes/improves and adds security fixes on top of that stable 374.43_2 version? I might try it when I get the chance since I have a feeling my network has a few problems that might be solved with fixes/improvements on newer versions. Or maybe not, but I need to be sure. What's the best way to migrate? Should I just reset everything or can I simply do a firmware upgrade? Should I reset before and after or just after suffices? Any easy way to backup my settings, reset, and restore them back on the new installed version?

I'm currently on Merlin's 374.43_2 because this is the only version I can get my USB 4G modem (Huawei dongle) too work properly. However, the only I can get it to work is with Dual WAN mode turned on (doesn't matter which is the primary one, both work, I just need to have this mode turned on - I know have the USB modem as primary because I really don't have any secondary WAN connection).

I was wondering if this fork fixes that?
I wouldn't expect that this fork would behave any differently. The base of the fork is 374.43_2 and I haven't touched anything with respect to the modem support.

Anyway, I'm assuming this fork is that same version and just fixes/improves and adds security fixes on top of that stable 374.43_2 version? I might try it when I get the chance since I have a feeling my network has a few problems that might be solved with fixes/improvements on newer versions. Or maybe not, but I need to be sure. What's the best way to migrate? Should I just reset everything or can I simply do a firmware upgrade? Should I reset before and after or just after suffices?
Coming for the base 374.43_2 you should just be able to load this code directly from the gui. I've added code such that any new features will be initialized without the need for a factory reset.
You didn't say what router you have, but I'd be sure to have a backup of your /jffs if you are using any custom scripts, particularly on the MIPS based routers. On the MIPS routers, jffs will most certainly be overwritten by the larger code size and will need to be reinitialized/reformatted.

Any easy way to backup my settings, reset, and restore them back on the new installed version?
See this thread for my NVRAM Save/Restore utility (it will also take care of backing up your jffs space). Always good to plan ahead :)
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/

All users here seems advanced and I just want to know how to install this Firmware on my ASUS N16 that has already a DD-wrt version that lately is doing hard resets every week.
I went to the OneDrive Update-15E5 but there are many files. I found a link that sais that I need to rename .trx to .bin and do the Firmware update using web interface, but there are like 5 trx and also sounds risky.
I hope your answer take no time to explain what should I do.

THank you in advance.
Moving off of DD-WRT can be tricky. You may want to post over in the DD-WRT forum on linksysinfo to get the current recommendations.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/dd-wrt-firmware.31/

My guess would be to do a factory reset on DD-WRT, then use the ASUS Firmware restoration utility to load the code, then do a WPS reset.

After that, there are some differences on how DD-WRT partitions memory vs ASUS code. See this thread for some problems and a fix.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/going-from-dd-wrt-k3x-asuswrt-merlin.19167/

Just some planning info for everyone....

As is being discussed in other threads, ASUS is getting ready to release a new rev of the AC68U (rev C1). This requires a new SDK for support (it will refuse to load earlier code). It is VIRTUALLY A CERTAINTY that I'm NOT going to be able to support this new rev in this fork. Plan accordingly.

This is very sad news John are you 100% sure this is the case. :( Also is this only for the 68? Will you continue to support other models or is it a moot point after the change ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!