What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For a long time, since July 2012, I just moved to a different house and on the previous one just used one ethernet port and wireless connection and now on the new house would like to use more ethernet ports.
If the LAN sockets have been unused for a long time they might have dirt/dust/corrosion on the metal contacts. Try cleaning them with switch cleaner (Servisol) and wiggling the cable connector when it's plugged in. Does the link light go on and off?

I will try to clean them as you described.

Regarding the light, it always remains off both on the router and on the network card.

I was on Update-14 and noticed that 3 of the 4 ethernet ports were not working, did a factory reset and the problem remained.
After that tried the upgrade to Update-16 and a new factory reset but it also produced no change on the ports.

Right now only the port 4 is working, I have tried to change the cables and network device and the same cable and device work on port 4 but not on the others.

To me it seems like it is a hardware problem but if anyone has any clue to what I could try it would be helpful, or I can collect logs if they can help.

Thanks in advance.

I read a while back that some RT-N66U's had defective LAN ports and they would fail after a period of time. My brother's RT-N66U had exactly this issue and ASUS replaced it since it was still within the 2 year warranty period. I purchased mine at the same time and I've never had the issue. So, if it's still under warranty, contact ASUS for a replacement

How exactly do you set a QoS rule for an IP range?

With iptables, for example
Code:
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.1.128/25 -j CONNMARK --set-return 0x5/0x7
assigns priority Lowest (from Asus browser QOS setup) to that range. Which table you use is up to you, it doesn't have to be postrouting, depends how you set it up.

Updated from latest merlin alpha on my N66U, wiped twice but strangely after each reboot of the router it takes me to the initial setup page, if I go to 'http://192.168.1.1/index.asp everything is fine but 192.168.1.1/ also takes me to the setup page, 1 check connection, 2 internet setup etc. other than that everything seems to be fine.
Did you actually go thru the initial setup steps, or bypass and go directly to another page? The router REALLY wants to be sure you set up wifi security.

Hi people, managed to install 15e5 on ac56s via ASUS rescue utility... it is running ok for now. Will it have an adverse impact on the router in terms of hardware or performance? Firmware used was meant to be use with 56u (dual core) - but used it for 56s (single core).
Last time this was tried the wireless side had problems (either didn't work at all or had a lot of disconnects)

Last time this was tried the wireless side had problems (either didn't work at all or had a lot of disconnects)

Thanks John, for me everything seems quite ok. Just not sure if I'll mess up the processor as your 56u version is based on a dual core architecture. .whereas the 56s is based on single core. Thanks for everything John... merry christmas

Did you actually go thru the initial setup steps, or bypass and go directly to another page? The router REALLY wants to be sure you set up wifi security.
Yes twice :) then realised it was doing what I said. Ill retry on next update as apart from that its working fine.

I have been running 15E4 on AC56U for a while without any issues and after last reboot the client list never populates, it shows 0 and when clicked only shows one entry "EA-N66R" which is a statically configured access point. I have about 35 clients and half are setup with IP reservations. Everything else works and the router had weeks of up time before the reboot, any ideas?

I have been running 15E4 on AC56U for a while without any issues and after last reboot the client list never populates, it shows 0 and when clicked only shows one entry "EA-N66R" which is a statically configured access point. I have about 35 clients and half are setup with IP reservations. Everything else works and the router had weeks of up time before the reboot, any ideas?
The client-list can be a bit finicky.....in addition to scanning it relies on the DHCP leases file and the arp list. Most wireless clients should renew automatically on a reboot (although I have a Linux client that doesn't)...most wired clients won't renew on a reboot. So, there are a couple of things you can try.....
- wait for the DHCP leases to renew on their own (default is 1 day leases)
- you can harden the leases file to jffs to help things along (if there is interest, I'll repost the couple of script lines to add)

Does anyone receive an increase of bufferbloat with firmware version 15E5?

Have you restarted the router a few times to assure that QoS is not being quirky?

The client-list can be a bit finicky.....in addition to scanning it relies on the DHCP leases file and the arp list. Most wireless clients should renew automatically on a reboot (although I have a Linux client that doesn't)...most wired clients won't renew on a reboot. So, there are a couple of things you can try.....
- wait for the DHCP leases to renew on their own (default is 1 day leases)
- you can harden the leases file to jffs to help things along (if there is interest, I'll repost the couple of script lines to add)

So I am seeing about 30 entries in the System Log - DHCP leases and the router has been up for over 4 days - the client list is still empty. If the scripts help get the Client List populated I would like to try them.

So I am seeing about 30 entries in the System Log - DHCP leases and the router has been up for over 4 days - the client list is still empty. If the scripts help get the Client List populated I would like to try them.
If you've been up running for 4 days, it's not likely to be anything related to to the DHCP leases. Are you using a non-standard netmask (other than 255.255.255.0)? Networkmap is hardcoded to only support a /24 netmask and is still that way on the most recent ASUS/Merlin releases.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/network-map-not-showing-dhcp-devices.29349/

If you've been up running for 4 days, it's not likely to be anything related to to the DHCP leases. Are you using a non-standard netmask (other than 255.255.255.0)? Networkmap is hardcoded to only support a /24 netmask and is still that way on the most recent ASUS/Merlin releases.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/network-map-not-showing-dhcp-devices.29349/

I am running standard netmask and it worked fine before with same settings. Interestingly the Asus EA-N66R AP has a client list (off by default) that can be turned on and it works correctly.

Hello could you please give me an idea of the wifi signal over 2,4 between this built and Merlin 378 v 2? I like the latter and love it but I live in a very saturated 2,4 ghz area and I don't get the signal I would like in some spots of the house ..

Hello could you please give me an idea of the wifi signal over 2,4 between this built and Merlin 378 v 2? I like the latter and love it but I live in a very saturated 2,4 ghz area and I don't get the signal I would like in some spots of the house ..
You need to say what router/model you are referring to. I would download and use the application Inssider and look for the best channel to select if you are in a crowded area. Also for me AC66, and other older MIPS routers the 376 builds seem to work better than the 378 and later. Mostly the older wifi driver seems more stable. Others here may comment further so add your particular model for further advice/info.

For most WiFi signal/throughput questions there is no generic answer, trial & error is king.

I got a 68u and I already use insider and chose the better wifi channel this is why I see a lot of other wifi in my area ..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!