What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am running Merlin 380.58_0 on my RT-AC66U which is running just fine but i thought about trying john9527's. I was wondering is their anything better in john9527's or are they both very similar with no real benefit on which one i use.

I am running Merlin 380.58_0 on my RT-AC66U which is running just fine but i thought about trying john9527's. I was wondering is their anything better in john9527's or are they both very similar with no real benefit on which one i use.

The general consensus is that older drivers work better with older devices, especially the RT-N66U.

If you are experienced with switching firmwares, the simplest answer is to try both, run a few tests (real, measurable tests... no "I feel like it's more gooder" subjectiveness), and decide for yourself.

Hi,

V17E8: Seems when VPN in you cant reach network client who get routed via VPN for outgoing connections for this release.

Tried the latest V17E8. Most working great except VPN.
I use OpenVPN client on router for my NAS selected via NAS IP.
I also use OpenVPN Server to VPN back into home network.

With version 17E8 when VPN into home-network I can't reach the NAS.
I can reach other network clients including the router itself.
With version 16 ( I downgraded now back to) it works, no issues.

Hi,

V17E8: Seems when VPN in you cant reach network client who get routed via VPN for outgoing connections for this release.

Any log entries or technical info you can share?

The general consensus is that older drivers work better with older devices, especially the RT-N66U.

If you are experienced with switching firmwares, the simplest answer is to try both, run a few tests (real, measurable tests... no "I feel like it's more gooder" subjectiveness), and decide for yourself.
Thanx for the reply m8, so i just flash this onto the router like i did the Merlin, with the GUI or from the Asus Rescue tool ?. Also do i need to clear the NVRAM after install as i have not done that before as i went from stock straight to Merlin. Once again thank you for the advice.

Thanx for the reply m8, so i just flash this onto the router like i did the Merlin, with the GUI or from the Asus Rescue tool ?. Also do i need to clear the NVRAM after install as i have not done that before as i went from stock straight to Merlin. Once again thank you for the advice.

See first post this thread for the recommended approach.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

The link above spells the steps out.

My two cents for what's worth...
If things are running fine for you and you're happy with the performance you are getting....you know the old saying....if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Differences at a high level for the AC66U....
Going to my fork, you lose a lot of the gui enhancements, and run some downlevel drivers (may or not be important depending on your clients). If you like/need to make frequent changes to the router setup, you may like the new gui better.

You may potentially gain on the fork from running some downlevel drivers on the older hardware, and have a very stable base where the changes have been primarily focused on bug fixes and only some selected new functions/security. If you like to set things up once and then forget about it, you may like this fork.

Just to be complete. If you have an ARM based router, you will lose the Adaptive QOS and analysis functions on this fork, which may be a plus or minus depending on how you feel about the TrendMicro DPI engine.

Hi,

I just double checked (using Windows hosts, I don't have a NAS), and was able to access those clients via connecting through the VPN server whether or not they were running through the VPN client. Also tried with various combinations of Exclusive mode/VPN DNS options on the client with the same result. So, sorry I can't recreate it.

One thing to check which can cause inconsistent results (especially if you have a lot of port forwards), is if you are running out of NVRAM space. You can check it on the Tools>Sysinfo page.

See first post this thread for the recommended approach.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

The link above spells the steps out.

Thanx m8 i did read some parts but just wanted to be clear.

My two cents for what's worth...
If things are running fine for you and you're happy with the performance you are getting....you know the old saying....if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Differences at a high level for the AC66U....
Going to my fork, you lose a lot of the gui enhancements, and run some downlevel drivers (may or not be important depending on your clients). If you like/need to make frequent changes to the router setup, you may like the new gui better.

You may potentially gain on the fork from running some downlevel drivers on the older hardware, and have a very stable base where the changes have been primarily focused on bug fixes and only some selected new functions/security. If you like to set things up once and then forget about it, you may like this fork.

Just to be complete. If you have an ARM based router, you will lose the Adaptive QOS and analysis functions on this fork, which may be a plus or minus depending on how you feel about the TrendMicro DPI engine.

Well i use the Bandwith Limiter at the moment to thottle my PS4 Up and Down speeds to stop the dreaded Lag Comp so does your FW have this function or something similar ?, also i use DNS-Filtering for my kids tablets and PC again is this a feature included in the FW ?. One more thing if i do have a try at your FW and for some reason i want to return ti Merlin do i just do the same procedure or do i need to do any particular steps different ?. Thanx again for you reply

Well i use the Bandwith Limiter at the moment to thottle my PS4 Up and Down speeds to stop the dreaded Lag Comp so does your FW have this function or something similar ?, also i use DNS-Filtering for my kids tablets and PC again is this a feature included in the FW ?. One more thing if i do have a try at your FW and for some reason i want to return ti Merlin do i just do the same procedure or do i need to do any particular steps different ?. Thanx again for you reply

Bandwidth Limiter (yes - just added with V17), DNS-Filter (yes)

On the AC66, yes, you would use the same procedure to go back (load the Merlin code via the gui, then factory reset and reconfigure).

On the ARM routers (AC56 and AC68) you currently need to do an intermediate code load to go back to Merlin (as a side note, I'm currently testing a change for the next release that will eliminate that extra code load to go back to Merlin).

Bandwidth Limiter (yes - just added with V17), DNS-Filter (yes)

On the AC66, yes, you would use the same procedure to go back (load the Merlin code via the gui, then factory reset and reconfigure).

On the ARM routers (AC56 and AC68) you currently need to do an intermediate code load to go back to Merlin (as a side note, I'm currently testing a change for the next release that will eliminate that extra code load to go back to Merlin).

Well i will give it a try as you have the features i need :), i have seen a few people reporting better WiFi performance on my router ( RT-AC66U). As im on the RT-AC66U i can just switch back and forth quite easily so thats also very good, i will let you know how i get on. Once again thak you for the help and advice :).

Any guides, please?
Not sure what you are asking. There is a gui for DNS-Filter with several fields, including a name and mac address. If the client is connected, you can select the client from a pull-down and it will automatically fill in both fields. If not connected, you need to enter the name and mac manually. Select the filter mode then click '+' to add the filter, and then Apply to activate it.

Is there a way to reduce the NTP update frequency?

Apr 19 07:09:39 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 08:09:39 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 08:09:39 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 09:09:39 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 09:09:39 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 10:09:39 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 10:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 11:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 11:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 12:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 12:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 13:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 13:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 14:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 14:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 15:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 15:09:45 ntp: NTP update successful after 2 attempt(s)
Apr 19 16:09:45 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 16:09:46 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)

Administration > System > Router NTP update interval (hours)**

or you can turn off the successful update messages entirely (fails will still be logged)
Administration > System > Log NTP updates**

(** = option unique to my fork)

Apr 19 07:09:39 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 08:09:39 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 08:09:39 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 09:09:39 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 09:09:39 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 10:09:39 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 10:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 11:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 11:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 12:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 12:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 13:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 13:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 14:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 14:09:40 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)
Apr 19 15:09:40 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 15:09:45 ntp: NTP update successful after 2 attempt(s)
Apr 19 16:09:45 ntp: start NTP update
Apr 19 16:09:46 ntp: NTP update successful after 1 attempt(s)

Code:
nvram set ntp_log=0
nvram commit

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!