What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@wedwabbit Sorry....after making the allow-routelocal change, you will need to reboot or restart the VPN (otherwise the correct iptables rules won't be set).

I'm also not sure that using hostip on the router like you are trying to do is really telling you what you want to know. That utility is meant to be used when DNSCrypt can't validate it's certs to do DNS resolution. I'd have to go through the source, but I'd guess it's trying to find an alternate DNS server or goes to a built in default (maybe google?) since using the DNSCrypt server would mean there would have to be a back door to bypass validation, which wouldn't be good.

Try testing from the clients directly after rebooting the clients or clearing their DNS cache to make sure it's working. (I use dnsleaktest.com in my testing to verify the right servers are being used).

Thanks John for all your help. Looks like I have it working now :)

It means the Samsung 'Smart' TV folks have done something 'Stupid' :) You are not the first....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-hostname-conflict.26264/

You can try manually assigning an address through the gui (worked for some, but not all), or make a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file with the following single line, filling in your TV mac address and desired ip..

dhcp-host=tv_mac_address,ip_address,Samsung_TV

shoot, fighting this now myself. in the tv setup, gave it a fixed ip, still seeing not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease
3.0.0.4.374.43_2-20E9j9527

specifics on manually assigning an address through the gui, is that under admin/system ?? or lan/dhcp ?? thanks !! i have it under the lan and renamed the tv,
thanks for any help here, much appreciated.

We'll shoot, now I'm locked out of the GUI, telling me it's not responding, internet and wifi still works, pulled power, didn't help. Multiple devices and browsers all fail to get to the log in page.
Sigh

ok, back in, all good. just the log local host thing left to correct.

Last edited:
shoot, fighting this now myself. in the tv setup, gave it a fixed ip, still seeing not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease
3.0.0.4.374.43_2-20E9j9527

specifics on manually assigning an address through the gui, is that under admin/system ?? or lan/dhcp ?? thanks !! i have it under the lan and renamed the tv,
We'll shoot, now I'm locked out of the GUI, telling me it's not responding, internet and wifi still works, pulled power, didn't help. Multiple devices and browsers all fail to get to the log in page.
Sigh
Duplicate posts http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-hostname-conflict.26264/page-3#post-298900

Hey John, not sure if this is the best thread for my question, and I will move it to another if necessary, however considering it is with 3 routers on your fork, I figured you might be best for input.

Short version is that I had 2 routers and a media bridge; N66 broadcasting 2.4GHz, 20MHz on channel 11 to the EA-N66, which was wired to the AC66 on WAN to broadcast 2.4GHz, 40MHz on channel 1 above. This worked well to extend my range without overlapping channels for a couple of years. The one odd part is that the EA-N66 was on a different subnet in media bridge mode, so my extended network was as well. I jumped on a deal for the AC68P and opted to "improve" my setup by replacing the EA-N66 in the equation with the AC66 taking it's place (figuring stronger antennas for TX/RX between it and the N66).

Now I have the N66 (router) broadcasting to the AC66 (media bridge), plugged into the AC68 (AP). I have used both 20E9 as well as 22B4 and now 22BA, but have an odd behavior. In this configuration, the AC66 does not operate on a separate subnet in comparison to the EA-N66, which did, and will instead either get it's IP from DHCP on the N66 or through a static assigned IP (what I have opted for as you will see). My problem is that after about 12 hours, clients can connect to the AC68 on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but are not able to get a DCHP IP from the upstream N66. The AC66 is still connected with good signal, but DHCP requests stop working for some reason. It appears that they are made and don't get to the N66, which is the only router with DHCP options as it is in router mode rather than AP or media bridge. I could put the EA-N66 back in place instead of the AC66, but would rather avoid doing so. Through testing, the only router that I have had to reboot to fix the issue is the AC66 (media bridge), at which point clients connecting to the AC68 get DHCP addresses again. One last tidbit, after changing the DHCP range on the N66 from 192.168.1.5-192.168.1.254 and setting the AC66 to 192.168.1.2 and AC68 to 192.168.1.3, when the issue occurs, if I connect to the N66 wireless, I can open the management page of the other routers. Also, if I set a static address of .4 for a client that is connected to the AC68, I can connect to all three as well, so it appears to clearly be DHCP related.

Now I have the N66 (router) broadcasting to the AC66 (media bridge), plugged into the AC68 (AP).

Sorry, but am having a bit of trouble following things. Can you put your setup into a diagram/picture of some sort?

Under LAN > DHCP Server....double check that 'Enable Manual Assignment' is also set to Yes.

Under LAN > DHCP Server....double check that 'Enable Manual Assignment' is also set to Yes.

was good there too. thanks
i'll continue to monitor my logs, my wife reports the wireless gets wonky for the few minutes the dhcp server cant give localhost to samsung tv,

thanks much.

John, the opening post states that this fork does not work on the RT-AC1900P. But does it work on the non P version, the RT-AC1900? I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. Thanks

John, the opening post states that this fork does not work on the RT-AC1900P. But does it work on the non P version, the RT-AC1900? I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. Thanks
I don't think the hardware for the AC1900 has been absolutely verified as of yet, but the general thinking is that it's pretty much the same as the AC68U rev C1. My best guess is that it would not be supported.

Why is it so difficult to find an RT-AC68U with H/W B1? I cannot find one to buy online. There do not seem to be any locally.

Sorry, but am having a bit of trouble following things. Can you put your setup into a diagram/picture of some sort?

Horrible paint drawing attached. The top is the old setup with the pyramid shaped media bridge in the middle, which the bottom is the AC66 in the middle.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 377
I want to give this fork a try as I don't use the special Asus online services or the new DPI engine.
But before installing I have three short questions:
1. Will there be any big/critical changes in the next final release which aren't included in the BETA release yet?
2. Currently I'm using Merlin 380.58. Can I directly upgrade to this fork or any special step necessary?
3. Which guide should be used for this fork to install Entware? https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki#external-software-repositories

Thank you for your help.

Running this firmware on a RT-N66U and am very happy with the performance, but haven't followed this thread for a year or so, so here's two questions:
-What router model supported by this firmware have the best wifi coverage?
-Can it still be installed on brand new units or have ASUS blocked that now?

I want to give this fork a try as I don't use the special Asus online services or the new DPI engine.
But before installing I have three short questions:
1. Will there be any big/critical changes in the next final release which aren't included in the BETA release yet?
There are some additional fixes/changes and Merlin backports going into the final. I'm working on rolling up the next stable release now...so if you can wait a bit, it would probably be worthwhile (I'm targeting to get it released this weekend).
2. Currently I'm using Merlin 380.58. Can I directly upgrade to this fork or any special step necessary?
You should be good to go. Just do a factory reset after the install and reconfigure.
3. Which guide should be used for this fork to install Entware? https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki#external-software-repositories
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki#external-software-repositories
You can use either of the Entware install methods. The basic entware setup script for item 3 is included in the firmware (it's the one I used).

Running this firmware on a RT-N66U and am very happy with the performance, but haven't followed this thread for a year or so, so here's two questions:
-What router model supported by this firmware have the best wifi coverage?
Hard to make a call here.....everyone's environment is different. But in general the AC class routers have the potential for better performance.
-Can it still be installed on brand new units or have ASUS blocked that now?
For the routers that are supported, you can still load this fork via the ASUS Firmware Recovery Tool if it comes with the newer code that prevents going backwards. But check the supported list, particularly for the AC68. AC68 rev C1 and later are not supported due to a requirement for a new SDK. Also, the new AC66-B1 with the ARM processor upgrade is not supported.

Horrible paint drawing attached. The top is the old setup with the pyramid shaped media bridge in the middle, which the bottom is the AC66 in the middle.
Ahhh....a picture is worth a thousand words :) Makes it much clearer.
I personally don't have a lot of experience with Media Server/AP modes, but one thing I would check is the Default gateway setting for these units. What do you have set?

Ahhh....a picture is worth a thousand words :) Makes it much clearer.
I personally don't have a lot of experience with Media Server/AP modes, but one thing I would check is the Default gateway setting for these units. What do you have set?

I have the DG for both the media bridge and the AP as the first router (.1) and as the WAN for the router connected to the internet. It seems odd that everything works as long as I reboot the media bridge alone and that it remains connected the whole time. I tried swapping the order of the router (.1) and MB (.2) after factory resetting both and setting up from scratch and confirm the same behavior.

Do you know if media bridge mode is natively supported with the stock firmware as I could attempt to load that to see if it is fork specific and let you know the results?

Do you know if media bridge mode is natively supported with the stock firmware as I could attempt to load that to see if it is fork specific and let you know the results?

I had 3 occurrences today so decided to take a baby step to test with. The AC66 (MB) in the middle I loaded Merlin's latest fork, reset completely using the power on with WPS button method, and configured from scratch. So far, so good, and it is neat to be able to configure from the Android App, but time will tell.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!