What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As soon as I open my new rt-ac68u B2, I’ll try this fork on it. Unless someone already has.
The cfe is the same as the rt-ac1900p so I think it should work.

Thanks for the fw! It's working smoothly on my AC66U. However with zero network background, I don't know whether it is possible to add SS on this fw. And if it's possible, how can I make it? Could any technicians here give me a hand! Many thanks!

Thanks for the fw! It's working smoothly on my AC66U. However with zero network background, I don't know whether it is possible to add SS on this fw. And if it's possible, how can I make it? Could any technicians here give me a hand! Many thanks!
What's SS? Or do you mean "ss", in which case why not use netstat?

Last edited:
There is actually a minimum reserved bandwidth for downloads, but it's not shown. It's hard-coded at 10% of the download bandwidth. So the "Current Settings" column is misleading.
Code:
class htb 2:10 parent 2:2 leaf 10: prio 1 rate 26Mbit ceil 260Mbit burst 5200Kb cburst 5200Kb
class htb 2:20 parent 2:2 leaf 20: prio 2 rate 26Mbit ceil 260Mbit burst 5200Kb cburst 5200Kb
class htb 2:30 parent 2:2 leaf 30: prio 3 rate 26Mbit ceil 260Mbit burst 5200Kb cburst 5200Kb
class htb 2:40 parent 2:2 leaf 40: prio 4 rate 26Mbit ceil 260Mbit burst 5200Kb cburst 5200Kb
class htb 2:50 parent 2:2 leaf 50: prio 5 rate 26Mbit ceil 130Mbit burst 2600Kb cburst 2600Kb

In FreshJR Adaptive QoS script or Tomato firmware, you can change the Minimum reserved Bandwidth in upload and download, however you want.

I beg the creator of this firmware, if he could make this possible, change the Minimum reserved Bandwidth in upload and download through the web GUI.

What's SS? Or do you mean "ss", in which case why not use netstat?

I mean ShadowSocks.. You see how zero I am.. haha
To be frankly, I'm a PlayStation player from China. Thanks to the powerful GFW, the online gaming experience is suck. My friends all use ShadowSocks on their router to solve this problem. However, when I bought the ASUS router, I chose the old AC66U mistakenly... How sad...
I've been looking for solutions for a while. And I'm redirected fro another forum saying John9527 is the only one now still updating Merlin for AC66U. So I hope I can find some answers for my problems here. Thanks.

just confitgure entware (you need usb stick or hdd pluged in ) - example from my RT-n66u
admin@RT-N66U-9BA0:/tmp/home/root# entware-setup.sh
and then install shadowsocks-libev-ss-tunnel:
admin@RT-N66U-9BA0:/tmp/home/root# opkg update
admin@RT-N66U-9BA0:/tmp/home/root# opkg install shadowsocks-libev-ss-tunnel
Installing shadowsocks-libev-ss-tunnel (3.1.1-1) to root...
Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/mipsel/shadowsocks-libev-ss-tunnel_3.1.1-1_mipselsf.ipk
Configuring shadowsocks-libev-ss-tunnel.

if you need other ss packages just install it ...
admin@RT-N66U-9BA0:/tmp/home/root# opkg list | grep shadows
shadowsocks-libev-config - 3.1.1-1 - shadowsocks-libev config scripts
shadowsocks-libev-ss-local - 3.1.1-1 - shadowsocks-libev ss-local
shadowsocks-libev-ss-redir - 3.1.1-1 - shadowsocks-libev ss-redir
shadowsocks-libev-ss-rules - 3.1.1-1 - shadowsocks-libev ss-rules
shadowsocks-libev-ss-server - 3.1.1-1 - shadowsocks-libev ss-server
shadowsocks-libev-ss-tunnel - 3.1.1-1 - shadowsocks-libev ss-tunnel
shadowsocksr-libev - 2.5.6-20170803-1 - libev port of ShadowsocksR.
simple-obfs - 0.0.5-1 - Simple-obfs is a simple obfusacting tool, designed as plugin server of shadowsocks.

Do remember though that entware for mips devices with kernel 2.6.22 isn't maintained/supported which means you'll not get security/bug/ fixes & updates.

For a maintained Entware you'll have to update to dd-wrt k3.0 (kernel 3.10)

Last edited:
Wifi problems are not uncommon for any router or firmware. But what do you mean by "unreliable networking on ... lan cable"?

I have the TV and the laptop connected via lan cable, and they get disconnected, like the router gets rebooted or something. Don't know where to look for more info, I looked at the system log and the only thing I see is:

:53 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Aug 21 16:11:54 ddns_update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Aug 21 16:11:57 ddns_update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 299 |Invalid IP format| 192.168.100.11^M Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:11:53 GMT^M Server: Apache^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.6.30^M Content-Length: 0^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Aug 21 16:11:57 ddns_update: retval= 1, ddns_return_code (,299)
Aug 21 16:11:57 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 1

I have the TV and the laptop connected via lan cable, and they get disconnected, like the router gets rebooted or something. Don't know where to look for more info, I looked at the system log and the only thing I see is:

:53 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Aug 21 16:11:54 ddns_update: connected to nwsrv-ns1.asus.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Aug 21 16:11:57 ddns_update: Asus update entry:: return: HTTP/1.1 299 |Invalid IP format| 192.168.100.11^M Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:11:53 GMT^M Server: Apache^M X-Powered-By: PHP/5.6.30^M Content-Length: 0^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Aug 21 16:11:57 ddns_update: retval= 1, ddns_return_code (,299)
Aug 21 16:11:57 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 1
Is this log entry from when you were having the problem? Your router's DDNS service thinks your WAN IP address is 192.168.100.11, I suspect this is wrong and probably indicates that your cable modem has rebooted itself.

Can you check your WAN IP address to see if it really is 192.168.100.11 please.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Hi all and thanks john for this fork.
Is there any way to make asus android apps working with this fork.
The apps see the routeurs but warm me about update to latest information.
I click "I still want to use the app" but connect failed
Thanks a lot

Hi all and thanks john for this fork.
Is there any way to make asus android apps working with this fork.
The apps see the routeurs but warm me about update to latest information.
I click "I still want to use the app" but connect failed
Thanks a lot
No, sorry. No plans to support the ASUS app.

There is actually a minimum reserved bandwidth for downloads, but it's not shown. It's hard-coded at 10% of the download bandwidth. So the "Current Settings" column is misleading.

In FreshJR Adaptive QoS script or Tomato firmware, you can change the Minimum reserved Bandwidth in upload and download, however you want.

I beg the creator of this firmware, if he could make this possible, change the Minimum reserved Bandwidth in upload and download through the web GUI.

@ColinTaylor has a good memory (he did a lot of work with me in developing the QoS rewrite).

Part of the reason for not having a minimum download is to avoid people shooting themselves in foot so to speak.....Wow, I'll just give all the categories 100% minimum bandwidth....that should be a good thing, right?:confused::eek::rolleyes:

In most cases, adjusting the maximum of the various priorities and setting the right rules works really well.

@miau1
What is your use case that you are having problems with?

Edit: Thank you very much Creator for adding Minimum reserved Bandwidth in Download, now my rules and priorities work excellent, before the priority High or Medium stealing all the bandwidth, but not now, you do not know how grateful I am with you.

These are my settings: (I have 2 versions)

Version 1: It can be used in Asuswrt-Merlin and [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin LTS
In this version, Default Priority Level is Low. (It is the Default in Asuswrt-Merlin and you can not change it)

So that anyone can enjoy these settings, you just have to change:
  1. Default Priority Level to "Low" (All the traffic of ports that do not have rules will go here)
  2. Add those 6 rules in the same order.
  3. Change the Minimum/Maximum Bandwidth in Upload and Download of the Priorities, as in the image below.
  4. In "The Highest Priority packet" untick: ACK, SYN, FIN, RST (Do not untick ICMP)
  • Now you just have to add rules according to their needs:
    1. Highest for VoIP and Gaming ports. (DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 in Highest Priority!)
    2. High for Web Surf and enter the Games Lobby quickly. (The games use port 80 and 443 for this)
    3. Medium for File Transfer and Watch videos.
    4. Low for Other ports. (This Priority is for ports that do not have a rule)
    5. Lowest for Bulk Traffic.
  • Just Add rules for ports in Highest, High, Medium and Lowest Priorities that you do not want to be in Low Priority. (Ports that do not have a rule)
  • DO NOT add ports in the Low Priority.
QoS Traffic Manager: -15% Upload and Download
ZPtpOSc.png

QoS Rules: (Guide: The best QoS for Gaming and Everything else!)
Code:
    Name                                  Port                     Protocol       Transferred       Priority
    ****                                  ****                     ********       ***********       ********
#1  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP             53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        0-10              Highest
#2  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP 10KB+       53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        10                Lowest
#3  HTTP, HTTP Proxy, QUIC                80,8080                  TCP/UDP        0-1536            High
#4  HTTPS, QUIC                           443                      TCP/UDP        0-1536            High
#5  File Transfer                         80,443,8080              TCP/UDP        1536              Medium
#6  qBittorrent uTP                       6881:6889                TCP/UDP                          Lowest

- Only add port of VoIP or Consoles/Games that you play in the Priority Highest.
- DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 of the Consoles/Games in Highest Priority! (There are already rules for these ports #3, #4 and #5)
- ADD any rule for port and priority, below the rule #6 qBittorrent uTP
Gaming Rules: (See an Example at the end of the post)

QoS Priorities:
YNtsnTq.png

Version 2: It can only be used in [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin LTS, because you can change Default Priority Level.
In this version, Default Priority Level is High. (As in FreshJR Adaptive QoS)

So that anyone can enjoy these settings, you just have to change:
  1. Default Priority Level to "High" (All the traffic of ports that do not have rules will go here)
  2. Add those 6 rules in the same order.
  3. Change the Minimum/Maximum Bandwidth in Upload and Download of the Priorities, as in the image below.
  4. In "The Highest Priority packet" untick: ACK, SYN, FIN, RST (Do not untick ICMP)
  • Now you just have to add rules according to their needs:
    1. Highest for VoIP and Gaming ports. (DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 in Highest Priority!)
    2. High for Other ports. (This Priority is for ports that do not have a rule)
    3. Medium for Web Surf and enter the Games Lobby quickly. (The games use port 80 and 443 for this)
    4. Low for File Transfer and Watch videos.
    5. Lowest for Bulk Traffic.
  • Just add rules for ports in Highest, Medium, Low and Lowest Priorities that you do not want to be in High Priority. (Ports that do not have a rule)
  • DO NOT add ports in the High Priority.
QoS Traffic Manager: -15% Upload and Download
PtW3J12.png

QoS Rules: (Guide: The best QoS for Gaming and Everything else!)
Code:
    Name                                  Port                     Protocol       Transferred       Priority
    ****                                  ****                     ********       ***********       ********
#1  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP             53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        0-10              Highest
#2  DNS, Time, NTP, DoT, RSVP 10KB+       53,37,123,853,3455       TCP/UDP        10                Lowest
#3  HTTP, HTTP Proxy, QUIC                80,8080                  TCP/UDP        0-1536            Medium
#4  HTTPS, QUIC                           443                      TCP/UDP        0-1536            Medium
#5  File Transfer                         80,443,8080              TCP/UDP        1536              Low
#6  qBittorrent uTP                       6881:6889                TCP/UDP                          Lowest

- Only add port of VoIP or Consoles/Games that you play in the Priority Highest.
- DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 of the Consoles/Games in Highest Priority! (There are already rules for these ports #3, #4 and #5)
- ADD any rule for port and priority, below the rule #6 qBittorrent uTP
Gaming Rules: (See an Example at the end of the post)

QoS Priorities:
O4Wqdwl.png

Game Ports
DO NOT add ports 80 and 443 of the games in Highest Priority (already exists a rule for these ports)

Gaming Rules: (Example, these are rules that everyone must add according to their needs)
You must choose which version to use, that's why I left blank the Priority of the rules for ports 80, 443 and 8080:
8WTlnpy.png

Last edited:
I don't think I'd put much faith in a rather dubious "guide" from someone with no track record, that just appeared out of nowhere and spammed the linksys forums with his settings and then disappeared.

I don't think I'd put much faith in a rather dubious "guide" from someone with no track record, that just appeared out of nowhere and spammed the linksys forums with his settings and then disappeared.
It is not necessary for you to have faith in me, but I am showing why that option is very important in QoS.

If you doubt in me you just have to copy those settings and you will see an improvement in everything and the importance of Minimum reserved Bandwidth in Download.

I have an RT-AC68U running this fork with a guest WIFI. Is it possible to set the bandwidth limiter to restrict the upload/download of clients attached to the guest WIFI only?

I have an RT-AC68U running this fork with a guest WIFI. Is it possible to set the bandwidth limiter to restrict the upload/download of clients attached to the guest WIFI only?
Yes, you can. Using Bandwidth Limiter, enter the interface name of the guest wifi in the target field (i.e. wl0.1 for the first 2.4GHz Guest network).

EDIT: Note that this only works for the guest wifi networks. You can't do the same for the primary wifi.

Yes, you can. Using Bandwidth Limiter, enter the interface name of the guest wifi in the target field (i.e. wl0.1 for the first 2.4GHz Guest network).

EDIT: Note that this only works for the guest wifi networks. You can't do the same for the primary wifi.
I stand corrected. Wow! I never knew that option existed. Is that something you added?

I stand corrected. Wow! I never knew that option existed. Is that something you added?
Somewhat....It was partially implemented by Asus but never finished/activated. When I backported the Bandwidth Limiter I finished it off and got it working.

Somewhat....It was partially implemented by Asus but never finished/activated. I finished it off and got it working.

In other Bandwidth Limiter related news o_O, something that always catches me out...

When changing from Bandwidth Limiter to Traditional QoS the Upload/Download units change from Mb/s to kb/s, but the actual number stays to same. So what was 200Mb/s becomes 200kb/s :eek:.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!