What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In other Bandwidth Limiter related news o_O, something that always catches me out...

When changing from Bandwidth Limiter to Traditional QoS the Upload/Download units change from Mb/s to kb/s, but the actual number stays to same. So what was 200Mb/s becomes 200kb/s :eek:.
OUCH....I'll definitely take a look at that one. Thanks for the warning!

In other Bandwidth Limiter related news o_O, something that always catches me out...

When changing from Bandwidth Limiter to Traditional QoS the Upload/Download units change from Mb/s to kb/s, but the actual number stays to same. So what was 200Mb/s becomes 200kb/s :eek:.
Got it....next release is already built/pending, so will pick up in the first refresh.
Code:
[devtest c36eacf52] webui: qos: store correct units adjusted global bw values when switching to bw limiter

Next release is out!

LATEST RELEASE: Update-34E3/34L3
17-August-2018
Merlin fork 374.43_34E3j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

Support for DNSCrypt v1 has been removed and replaced with DNS over TLS (DoT) support for ALL SUPPORTED ROUTERS (includes the MIPS based N16, N66 and AC66)

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Beta!

Please see the first post for more details.

The new DoT option...
DoT-Final.png

I've updated and switched to the Quad9 insecure primary DoT server. Didn't have any performance issues after switching to the Cloudflare DoT, so we'll see.

I've updated and switched to the Quad9 insecure primary DoT server. Didn't have any performance issues after switching to the Cloudflare DoT, so we'll see.
Quad9 insecure may not support DNSSEC. Quad9 also told me that the URL for the insecure resolvers will be changing. So, it may be best to use the Quad9 secure resolvers. CleanBrowsing also works well and has good reviews.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Got it....next release is already built/pending, so will pick up in the first refresh.
Code:
[devtest c36eacf52] webui: qos: store correct units adjusted global bw values when switching to bw limiter

Please I beg you to add my request, to be able to change the Minimum reserved Bandwidth in Download.

Cosmetic error:
hbSV8aj.png

Quad9 insecure may not support DNSSEC. Quad9 also told me that the URL for the insecure resolvers will be changing. So, it may be best to use the Quad9 secure resolvers. CleanBrowsing also works well and has good reviews.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
Quad9 secure doesn’t work properly for me. Cloudflare worked pretty well though. Might look into CB if I get tinkery.

Next release is out!

LATEST RELEASE: Update-34E3/34L3
17-August-2018
Merlin fork 374.43_34E3j9527
Download http://bit.ly/1YdgUcP
============================

Support for DNSCrypt v1 has been removed and replaced with DNS over TLS (DoT) support for ALL SUPPORTED ROUTERS (includes the MIPS based N16, N66 and AC66)

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Beta!

Please see the first post for more details.

The new DoT option...
View attachment 14208

Awwww yea! Another update. Thank you for the great work sir!

Hi John,

Im answering here so im not hijacking the Diversion thread why im reverting to such a old build.

The reason is the misses is complaining since multiple weeks WiFi performance is bad.
Also while gaming on my PS4 Pro wired directly to the Asus im noticing occasional LAG where i did not have that on older builds.

Downgrading the router to a lower build without here knowing im doing it so i can see if the complains go away regarding WiFi performance.
I am aware of the security problems that has been fixed on newer releases.

Edit, as i want the Diversion i have updated to E22 for testing purposes.
I'll see how this one will behave.

Last edited:
Is it possible that with IPV6 6RD enabled the Traffic Manager logs IPV6 traffic downloads as uploads? I seldom have 1 GB of uploads in a normal day except when I have IPV6 6RD enabled. I've suspected this to be the case with the stock Asus firmware for some time.

I think you should add that you do not have this great feature:
The fork does not include
  • The new Trend Micro DPI engine functions for ARM routers, that shares YOUR data to Trend Micro.
  • The enhancements to the networkmap for custom icons, client naming, etc.
  • Some of the enhanced gui formatting of later releases, for instance the new wireless log
  • Support for the ASUS router control app
  • Support for 5 VPN Clients as in Merlin (this fork supports 2 client instances). Note that the N16 does not support VPN Client/Server due to memory limitations.

Last edited:
@john9527 Release dnsmasq version 2.80test4 (23/Aug/2018)

This is not a release, this is a development snapshot, not recommended for use in an official product release.

I do not see any problem updating the latest version that was released a couple of days ago.

Because by the time John is ready for a new firmware release, 2.80 final will most likely be available. There's no point in "reminding" him every time a new test snapshot is available. Most of us generally wait until we are advanced enough in our own development cycle before deciding what third party components to update, unless there's already a final release already available. Otherwise, we'd be wasting valuable development time if we were to chase after every single test release that occur during our own development cycles.

In the latest version 34E3 @john9527 is using dnsmasq Test 3

I do not see any problem updating the latest version that was released a couple of days ago.
There is at least a bit of assessment that goes on.
- For one, I need to be able to run it for a while to make sure it doesn't break anything. Example, dnsmasq 2.79 was completely skipped because it wasn't caching correctly when integrated.
- We generally wait for final releases unless there is something compelling to move earlier....like a security fix or change in function. (2.80test brought in some DNSSEC changes and fixes)
- For Merlin, he needed to bring in the test4 release to pick up a fix that prevents a crash on the AC86 (good time to bring it in in his alpha build). I'm running the same fix now privately to make sure it doesn't break the older platforms.

So, there is some thought as to when we pick things up. Remember, one of the goals of this fork is to maintain stability.

Quick question regarding DNS over TLS: is there any impact on latency over DNSSEC? Will ping times be higher or will it not have any real world impact? I currently use Cloudflare's DNS with DNSSEC enabled.

And thanks for the continuous support of my aging AC-66U router :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!