What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

I upgraded to the latest Fork and after the reboot the transmission daemon won't start. Even a manual command from the CLI using putty gives me the same error. I can see all the drives attached to the router and can connect via WINSCP and see the sda1 and sda2 partitions with no issues. I've looked at the logs but can't find anything in the system log except Jan 13 19:45:51 admin: Failed to start transmission-daemon from .
I've gone back one revision but the same issue...any suggestions on why the daemon won't start despite all the drives being available. Thanks very much.

@atkinsom How did you you install transmission? What package did you install or what instructions did you follow?
@ColinTaylor I installed the packages many months ago using the GIThub howto setup by Merlin. Everything worked perfect until I tried to update to the latest firmware WITHOUT unmounting the USB...bad idea but I got lazy :) Looked in the logs but couldn't find anything. I've been scratching my head for hours but while waiting for a response I decided to backup my configs and do an opkg remove of all the transmission packages. Restarted the router and installed the same packages again and restored my json file. Started the daemon and voila all working again. Something must of gotten corrupted during the firmware upgrade which really is my fault as we always should unmount the USB for this very reason. Lesson learned and thanks for your response. Cheers.

I had to re-write the ovpn server authentication for MIPS due to a conflict with the stubby code (it caused a segfault in the openpam auth). Probably there is something in there that is preventing it from recognizing the default login.
Just checking to see if you've had a chance to look into the code to see if the default login is disabled over OpenVPN. Hoping it'll be fixed with your next release. Thanks :)

Hi, can somebody help me with DoT setup, i'm already setted up this things, also wrote same DNS's in LAN settings, rebooted, and don't know how to check if it's working or not, how can i do it? Or maybe i need some additional settings? Thanks
Rdgu29J.png
RtQ6l0F

Last edited:
3.0.0.4.374.43_38D3j9527
Setting Connect to DNS Server automatically to no and entering DNS Server 1 and/or 2 values with DoT enabled seems to break DNS resolution. Seems to be the same when set up with values in DNS Server 1 and/or 2 then enabling DoT.
I would like to be wrong in this report but it happened to me twice with this firmware.
Working well after factory reset and manual configure with DoT to CleanBrowsing Secure & Alt with DNSSEC disabled.

Hi, can somebody help me with DoP setup, i'm already setted up this things, also wrote same DNS's in LAN settings, rebooted, and don't know how to check if it's working or not, how can i do it? Or maybe i need some additional settings? Thanks
Rdgu29J.png
RtQ6l0F
It is DoT.
I recommend if you want to use Quad9 disable DNSSEC, Rebind Protection on, and enable both the Quad 9 Secure Primary and Secondary. Leave RoundRobin enabled as this will alternate DNS server access and can speed things up a bit as well as preventing a known issue with Stubby/GetDNS.
To test if Quad9 blocking is working try to visit http://isitblocked.org Your web browser should not find that web site.
There is also a test you can do if you use Cloudflare DoT Servers: https://cloudflare-dns.com/help/
Or CleanBrowsing: http://www.badexample.com/
The only DNS servers I have found that reliably uses DoT with DNSSEC is Cloudflare. While it is great to be able to use both DoT and DNSSEC I feel that DoT and a DNS server that tries to block malicious web sites is better for me.

Best of luck!

Don't. Leave those empty.
Thanks, https://cloudflare-dns.com/help/ showing next:
6j6tNgx.png

Only way to achieve DoT = Yes is using 1.1.1.1 app from google play for android devices, also I achieved DoH with cloudflare and Firefox on desktop PC, but no "native" DoT from router settings, also it showing "Connected to 1.1.1.1 = No" unless I manually write preferred DNS in windows network adapter settings and android WiFi settings

Update-37EA/37LA

Please tell me whats mean ea and la? Whats the difference? Whats firmware better?

Post #1 https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v37ea.18914/

Currently, two build streams are maintained.
  • The 'E' Builds are the recommended builds and contain the latest wireless drivers and related fixes, including the fixes for the KRACK exploit on all supported models except the N16 (ASUS never released a KRACK fix for the N16). The 'E' Builds for ARM routers also contain the latest ARM SDK providing support for the newer rev level AC68U and it's variations.
  • The 'L' Builds contain the original wireless drivers (2014 release) and DO NOT address the KRACK exploit, and for ARM routers DO NOT contain the latest SDK providing support for the latest AC68U rev levels. In addition, some fixes dependent on either the latest wireless drivers or latest ARM SDK may not be included in the 'L' builds. Please review the release notes/Changelog for further information.

Yes, I know, but Quad9 has bigger latency, Cloudflare best for my network, reset the DNS to Cloudflare's still no luck with DoT
Works for me. Untitled.png

also it showing "Connected to 1.1.1.1 = No" unless I manually write preferred DNS in windows network adapter settings and android WiFi settings
Then your client's DNS is not operating correctly. Are you using DNSFilter?

Hello all. It's been quite a long time since I updated the firmware on my AC68. I was looking to use the Merlin software, as that is what is currently on my router. Interestingly, the Merlin version I have currently is 3.0.0.4.374.43_2. I saw this fork as a LTS, install and forget software that is based on the same version. So, I would like to flash it to the current version. I read the upgrade path doc, and it appears that I should use the following options:

(7) Current ASUS or Merlin on early rev AC68, AC56, or MIPS based router that wishes to try earlier wireless drivers
Does not use the router in Repeater or Media Bridge modes
(8) Current ASUS or Merlin that wants to try other Fork features
Uses the router in Repeater in Repeater or Media Bridge modes

If I understood the basics, the 7, or L doesn't contain software to block an exploit whereas 8, or E, does. However, I only use the router as a router, so is there any performance related issues or anything if I install one vs the other?

Also, my most important question: Am I correct in my conclusions above? I really don't want to cause any undue problems when I haven't ever encountered any prior. I wouldn't even bother upgrading other than I believe an update would be good to address various security or performance issues that may have occurred in past 3-5 years. Any guidance is very much appreciated.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!