What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Even though you can enter specific numbers like 7mW in reality the power is set in discrete bands. So any number between 1 and 19 produces the same result. The same is true for 20-39, 40-69, 70-80, 80 and > 80.
What @ColinTaylor quoted is for the setup of some of the control registers for the wireless which are done in bands.. IIRC, the actual value is used (which by the way is input to the driver in different formats between the 'L' and 'E' versions), but how is unknown since everything is closed source.

In any event, the value should be considered more as a suggestion rather than a hard setting. Each channel has it's own regulatory limits which cannot be bypassed, there are temperature adjustments, and I believe the driver can adjust things further based on it's own assessment of the wireless connection quality.

Hi, please tell me, where can I read about installing TOR on this firmware?
Does ipset work on this firmware (ac66u)?
Careful what you wish for: becoming a TOR node enables others to perform crimes from your IP, and you will be held accountable.

Also, I do not see a TOR option in John's fork.

Hi, please tell me, where can I read about installing TOR on this firmware?
This fork does not have the TOR support built in. If you search, I believe there was post where someone may have added it via Entware. (I personally have no experience with Tor)
Does ipset work on this firmware (ac66u)?
ipset is supported, but is limited to version 4 due to the older kernel on the MIPS routers.

What @ColinTaylor quoted is for the setup of some of the control registers for the wireless which are done in bands.. IIRC, the actual value is used (which by the way is input to the driver in different formats between the 'L' and 'E' versions), but how is unknown since everything is closed source.
Thanks for the info John. I didn't realise that. I shall have to look more closely next time.

Thanks for the info John. I didn't realise that. I shall have to look more closely next time.
It's tough to follow....since the code also contains support for the RALink drivers which use some of the same nvram vars....I remember it giving me a headache, and finally deciding I couldn't rule out that it was used somehow :)

I guess you mean "Remote" not "Remove";). It uses port 514. It's a standard protocol, Google it for the details.
Of course Remote. The problem was that my SysLog server has support for TWO standard protocols, so I decided to choose the one that was described as the legacy one :)

Ok I did Upgrade successfully to 3.0.0.4.374.43_36EAj9527 on my N66U and i am very happy, was smooth
I did a factory reset and now reconfiguring the router
I use same SSID for both 2.4GHZ and 5GHz
I use "Mac filter" but now i have to enter Mac address in both 2.4GHZ and 5GHz

I know i had this on previous running version but cant found (or remember ) how i achieve it in the past , to enter only once and apply to both.
Anybody can point me to some guide ?
thanks in advance

I use "Mac filter" but now i have to enter Mac address in both 2.4GHZ and 5GHz

I know i had this on previous running version but cant found (or remember ) how i achieve it in the past , to enter only once and apply to both.
The MAC filter lists are independent for each band so you'll have to enter them twice if the lists are the same. On the old stock firmware there was only one common list used for both bands, so having them separate is a welcome enhancement.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-mac-address-filtering.26618/#post-199895

The MAC filter lists are independent for each band so you'll have to enter them twice if the lists are the same. On the old stock firmware there was only one common list used for both bands, so having them separate is a welcome enhancement.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-mac-address-filtering.26618/#post-199895

Thanks again ColinTaylor....

i am probably pushing but is there a way to copy the table from one to another..... via ssh ?
or any other tools ? or do i have to enter them again all manually ... one by one ?

i am probably pushing but is there a way to copy the table from one to another..... via ssh ?
or any other tools ? or do i have to enter them again all manually ... one by one ?
Why did I think you were going to ask that question? :D

This will copy the 2.4GHz list to the 5GHz list:
Code:
# nvram set wl1_maclist="$(nvram get wl0_maclist)"
# nvram set wl1_maclist_x="$(nvram get wl0_maclist_x)"
# nvram commit

WARNING: This will replace any existing entries in the 5GHz list.

Last edited:
Why did I think you were going to ask that question? :D
Haha :oops::cool:
This will copy the 2.4GHz list to the 5GHz list:
Code:
# nvram set wl1_maclist="$(nvram get wl0_maclist)"
# nvram set wl1_maclist_x="$(nvram get wl0_maclist_x)"
# nvram commit
Thanks so much
I will have to learn those nvram command (Any doc i can read ?) and see how i can use them , i am not a GUI person :( i like my shell

Edit: Wow i like the nvram show command

Last edited:
I will have to learn those nvram command (Any doc i can read ?) and see how i can use them ,
I'm not aware of any documentation, although the nvram command is fairly common on embedded systems. You can use "nvram show" to see all the variables and "nvram get xxx" and "nvram set xxx="yyy" for individual variables. After you've finished making your changes do an "nvram commit".

Make sure you know what you're doing though because it's easy to mess things up. I suggest you log onto the router and go to Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting and save a copy of your NVRAM before making any changes.

As for the effect of any individual variable you'll either have to guess or search this forum. Also bear in mind that some of the variables are overwritten at boot so changing them has no effect. Sometimes multiple variables have to be changed in sync with each other.

The "proper" way of making changes is either through the GUI or via Merlin's user scripts or custom config files.

I'm not aware of any documentation, although the nvram command is fairly common on embedded systems. You can use "nvram show" to see all the variables and "nvram get xxx" and "nvram set xxx="yyy" for individual variables. After you've finished making your changes do an "nvram commit".

Make sure you know what you're doing though because it's easy to mess things up. I suggest you log onto the router and go to Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting and save a copy of your NVRAM before making any changes.

As for the effect of any individual variable you'll either have to guess or search this forum. Also bear in mind that some of the variables are overwritten at boot so changing them has no effect. Sometimes multiple variables have to be changed in sync with each other.

The "proper" way of making changes is either through the GUI or via Merlin's user scripts or custom config files.

Very interesting, good reading.
Thanks For all these info.

Good morning,

I have a friend who bought a AC-68U and would like to do the region unlock.
He has a seperate house and no neighbors.

When reading the first post i see there is a mention about the E and L build.
I believe i need the older WiFi drivers for the region unlock to work correctly and up the sending power.
Is that correct?

If so it will not work if it is a C1 or E1 revision as those only accept the E build if im correct.
A1, A2 and B1 accept the L build.

Hope some can verify or correct the way way i think it it.

Regards

Last edited:
Good morning,

I have a friend who bought a AC-68U and would like to do the region unlock.
He has a seperate house and no neighbors.

When reading the first post i see there is a mention about the E and L build.
I believe i need the older WiFi drivers for the region unlock to work correctly and up the sending power.
Is that correct?

If so it will not work if it is a C1 or E1 revision as those only accept the E build if im correct.
A1, A2 and B1 accept the L build.

Hope some can verify or correct the way way i think it it.

Regards
Why do you ask? You cannot brick an Asus router by flashing John's fork, so download both versions and keep Asus firmware recovery util ready.

Hey. I have an Asus N-66U. The problem I'm facing right now is that it just cuts off the wireless network randomly once every ~3 days or so. Or that it randomly reboots. I'm suspecting it's a firmware problem.

Does John's Fork include patches and such?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!