What's new

Release [FORK][DSL] GNUton's Merlin builds for DSL Router 386.1_2 released.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Guessing the Merlin guys are deprecating the firmware for the DSL-AC68U ?

386.07_2-gnuton1 is perhaps going to be the last compatible firmware for your router. Asus is not moving AC-class routers to 388 firmware. With no GPL Merlin guys can't do much for you. If you want further firmware updates you have to get an AX-class supported router.

386.07_2-gnuton1 is perhaps going to be the last compatible firmware for your router. Asus is not moving AC-class routers to 388 firmware. With no GPL Merlin guys can't do much for you. If you want further firmware updates you have to get an AX-class supported router.
Not moving to the 388 codebase does not mean end of support. These models will still receive updates, but on the 386 codebase.,

These models will still receive updates

Are you planning new 386 code Asuswrt-Merlin releases for AC-class routers when/if this eventually happens?

Are you planning new 386 code Asuswrt-Merlin releases for AC-class routers when/if this eventually happens?
Yes, work will begin after I am done with the 388.1 release.

Eagerly looking forward to the first release of the normal gui for the TUF-AX5400 , tested out the 388 beta and everything seems fine for my setup.

hello everybody, can the RT-ac68u firmware be flashed over the DSL-ac68u?
I need to use the device as a router only, with wan from ethernet instead of dsl connection.

Last edited:
you can flash the firmware that says no dsl firmware from here

but the deice suports RT function with wan from ethernet instead of dsl in Advanced Settings/Dual WAN.
than you Zendilar, but unfortunately the dual wan settings don't allow to configure a PPPoE connection and vlan id.

any other suggestion?

EDIT: after enabling the dual WAN, a new menu appears, it works!

Last edited:
I'm looking to get the DSL-AX82U over RT-AX86U because of the convenience of having the modem built in. Can anyone tell me if these firmwares have QoS? Most specifically CAKE?

Can you show screenshot?

That convenience will cost you big in performance and most likely, reliability too. Reconsider the convenience aspect and buy the much better router today, instead.

It has Wifi 6 with a tri core processor so performance should be ok and every review I have seen for my home country is very positive for range and reliability. As long as the router doesn't disconnect randomly (as every router shouldn't anyway) and can run CAKE it really doesn't need more for me.

I even considered TUF-AX5400 as it is the DSL-AX82U without modem and has merlin support (currently £132). The DSL-AX82U is £209. Anything like the GT-AX6000 is £340. I could nearly buy 3 of TUF-AX5400 for that.

It may have WiFi 6 specs, but it also has a low-performance tri-core processor too.

What are your ISP speeds?

What time frame are you expecting to either upgrade your ISP speeds, or, the router you buy today?

That 3x the cost is your first indication that this model may not be as performant as you assume it to be (depending on your answers to the questions above too).

and can run CAKE

Must be available via GNUton's firmware. AX82U is a "gaming" version of AX58U:

Must be available via GNUton's firmware. AX82U is a "gaming" version of AX58U:

actually they are different, at least in 2.4ghz 4x4 VS 2x2

Last edited:
actually they are different, at least in 2.4ghz 4x4 VS 2x2

Exactly the same 2x2:2 built in SoC BCM6750 2.4GHz radio. The difference is in 5GHz radio - it's still the same chip, but RT-AX82U has unlocked 4x4:4, RT-AX58U is software limited to 2x4:4. This is the difference between AX3000 and AX5400 class routers based on the same hardware.

Does anyone know of any documentation on how to set up a DSL-AC68U in media bridge mode with this custom firmware?

I installed the firmare: DSL-AC68U__gnuton-snapshot-feature-repeater_DSL_1.0.5.3.trx and factory reset but it won't let me choose the operation mode like step 3 of here. I do have the option to upload a setting file but no idea what that is and it won't let me progress through the first time set up without it.

Last edited:
I'm also trying to setup the DSL-AC68U as an AP. I have installed DSL-AC68U_386.07_2-gnuton1_NO-DSL-FIRMWARE but do not get the operation mode menu. Has anyone successfully done this with the DSL version??
I got mine working as the secondary Wired AP using the DSL-AC68U__gnuton-snapshot-feature-repeater_DSL_1.0.5.3.trx firmware. I went through the normal wireless first time set up then in one of the advanced menus after the router is set up you can change the operation mode to media bridge which prompts you to select the primary routers wifi network. After a few minutes it just worked. Note that it has to be wired from the secondary router to your device I believe. Keep in mind after you make this change you can't access the router as you normally would through its ip, you need the device discovery tool to see it and access it.

Last edited: