What's new

Release [FORK][DSL] GNUton's Merlin builds for DSL Router 386.1_2 released.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hi, i want restore the stock fw, but dont let me all time show error before upload and finish the process, i have a ax82u, thx.

Your post is hard to decode. Can you rephrase it for us?

Try Asuswrt 386_50289 first, update to current 388_22158 after.
work it, thx!!, was that finally, i think maybe was because the last one fw its more big.

Been fighting with my Asus Zenwifi XT8 v1 for looong time now.
Last ½ year I have been rebooting/turning on/off daily due to node switching from strong to weak several times a day. Scheduled reboot didn't do it.
2 days ago I stumbled over a post mentioning this GLUton fw and thought "hey what the heck" and uploaded 388.1 to my node. Reset and turned it off while I uploaded it to the router and reset that one.
Set everything up from scratch (again). Had to use cable to get node on.
Had gone down to 80Mhz due to DFS (live close to airport) but even with this new FW I still cannot turn DFS channels of, so jumped in and switched 160Mhz on again for test.
For the past 2 days connection has been green and no problems.
Even local move of files used to be around 18-22mbs is now 30-34mbs.

Sent you 10€ for a beer.
Even if it doesn't last, the last 2 days have been a bliss and now I'm even more sure that it's fw related issues, not hardware.
Thank you once again.

Good day!
I just changed my router - had an RT-AC66U B1 before, but had too many drops (doesn't play well with Video meetings for work!!!).
So I bought an RT-AS82U. It is really ugly (my point of view as I know some people are delighted by the spaceships look and flashy lights). I don't really care as it's hidden in the basement. I was interested by the features and performance, and I do love Asus routers!
I got the white version (the box says it's HW 1.0) and I was wondering if the FW from https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng would work with it. Now that I have stable connection, I didn't feel like trying before I know for sure it works .

Thanks for the help!

EDIT : router version is RT-AX82U GUNDAM EDITION << That's probably the reason it's white instead of black...but question still remains :)

Last edited:
Well on the official asus support the Firmware is the same for both RT-AX82U GUNDAM EDITION & RT-AX82U

https://www.asus.com/networking-iot...desk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AX82U-GUNDAM-EDITION

Also In the comparison list the specs are exactly the same, my guess is that only the casing is different.

So whatever firmware Gnuton releases for the RT-AX82U it should also be compatible for the GUNDAM EDITION as well.

That was my impression as well - I just didn't think about checking the FW versions on the ASUS site....
Thanks for the extra step (that I should have taken!!!!)

I do hope it adds the missing AIMesh link from the left menu - the ASUS FW doesn't. I did have it on my RT-AC66U B1 GUI, where I coud manage the AIMesh. On this new router, I only have basic info from the AIMesh button from the network map.

Thans again!

OK Thanks!
I'm really curious of why so much size difference! ASUS native is twice as large :S

OK Thanks!
I'm really curious of why so much size difference! ASUS native is twice as large :S
Asus probably includes two firmwares to cover both V1 and V2 of this model.

I just checked and there is only one file in the download from ASUS (97MB .w file)
So unless the load logic in the router knows about versions, I'm not sure. But I am far from techincal enough to know if the router can load partially from that file.
But thanks for the reply!

I just checked and there is only one file in the download from ASUS (97MB .w file)
I mean within the file. Asus merges two firmware models within the same file for certain models. They`ve been doing it for a few years for the RT-AC68U, it`s possible they started doing it for the RT-AX82U as well now that they have a V2 variant available. The router will automatically use the correct image when writing to flash.

Just installed a new ZenWiFi ET8 pair, with updated 388.2.2.0 fw. So far I'm very impressed. Replaced a Google Nest WiFi Pro system that was working my last nerve. I have the ET8 pair connected via wireless using the 6GHz band (dedicated) and it is very stable. Keeping my fingers crossed that this pair works for our use better than the Nest system. My main problem with the Nest was that if the internet connection went down, it would take the entire local network down with it. Google said that was by design, "for your protection". I needed the local network to function no matter what.

Since I'm using the pair with dedicated 6GHz backhaul, any other settings I should look at changing from the default (I did change to use WPA3 for the 2.4/5GHz bands but otherwise everything else is default settings).