What's new

How do I use GNUton's fork for my DSL-AX82U please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonnyc55

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I'm stuck, my router is the DSL-AX82U, which only GNUton has a build for. Do I just download the file underlined red and upload it to my router with that file?

dfdf.png

Thanks.

As safe as Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. This is an official port expanding the range of supported models.

"My builds are intended to support all features present in the original Merlin firmware."

Is the GitHub code for it overlooked by Merlin also, as I see the Github belongs to GNUton?

Is the download in the picture composed only of the open source code presented in the open source code for it in Github? For example, any .exe download link in Github might have different code to what is presented in the Github.
As a reference 'How can you be sure that executable files from github are safe' :
Technically they can be different. If you don't trust the author, your options are to compile yourself, or check if the release was made from a ci action. Then you could check how the build pipeline looks like and on which commit it rat, showing you the state of the code at the time of the release. But I think even then they might be able to replace release assets

So I used to think Github was a place to turn off your security brain, but I don't see that with Github anymore.

Yes GNUton may be seemingly trustworthy, but there are all sorts of shocker stories out there.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is an official port by a well known developer supported by both Asus and @RMerlin. The firmware image contains open source code as well as closed source code from Asus. This is not a hack or illegal port of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. The GitHub page is GNUton's, he supports specific models Asus routers, receives bug reports and requests. It is safe to use and many folks around are using it. If you have any doubts about security - the choice is yours. It's an optional 3rd party firmware for your router.

This is an official port by a well known developer supported by both Asus and @RMerlin. The firmware image contains open source code as well as closed source code from Asus. This is not a hack or illegal port of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. The GitHub page is GNUton's, he supports specific models Asus routers, receives bug reports and requests. It is safe to use and many folks around are using it. If you have any doubts about security - the choice is yours. It's an optional 3rd party firmware for your router.
Ok thank you.